Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Long Timers
Click Here to Login

Old 10-28-2010, 05:29 AM   #1
randye
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7139
Dish Network

Hope you will give your opinion. About a month ago, we lost service from our Directv Satellite. We called and they put us through everything as always, reset, change cables etc. I should go back in the past a little 14 months ago this happened when we were in NM. After a couple of days they sent a reciever to the wrong place(to Oregon) a secound one came about 9 days later. Back to the future: The Tech said the Satellite signal was not on the LNB properly. I worked on switching cables on the reciever for about two hours and the signal came back, I when to signal page and had 82% which is more than I have had in the past. We waited three weeks and lost signal many times some during a program we really wanted to see. Very frustrating. We got set up a the Park in Beaver Dam, I called DTV and they set up a service call for Monday 10/25/10 about 2pm I got a call from the serviceman, he said you are next after I get done with my current customer, I asked were are you he said just entered the gate at the North Rim of the Grand Canyon. I told him we were 200 miles west of there, he said I can't make it before dark and I would have to resheudule. I called DTV again and they said they don't know how the service man didn't see our address here in Beaver Dam. She said someone would call in 20 mins 21/2 hour later I called again and she said they would call in 30 mins to be there. Never called showed or anything. The next day I called Dish Network they set up a inatallation for the next day, I was with DTV for 15 and a half years but if I can't get service and they won't call to at least let me know what happened why they can't call or show up. I must fine some other way to watch our programs. My Question is how many or you have Dish and are you satisfied with them? I must stay for the two year contract or pay penalties. Thanks for letting me vent. Randye

randye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 05:40 AM   #2
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
I have used DishNet for 7 years without problems. I have been able to get service when I needed it. Every business has its screw up experiences, but DishNet hasn't with me.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 09:14 AM   #3
Doberman
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10587
I have had DTV for 10 years. Unfortunately, about 4 months ago I "upgraded" to HD which resulted in another 2 year contract. Since then, I have had many and various problems which required LENGTHY calls to DTV "customer disservice". When my 1 year and 8 months are up, I am changing to Dish!!!
Doberman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 10:05 AM   #4
PapaBeav
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7487
We just switched over to Direct TV a month ago from Comcast because we wanted a dish to take on the road with us. A friend of ours had Dish and had nothing but problems with them, so we went with Direct. So time will tell.
PapaBeav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 10:39 AM   #5
Alwims
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10623
Watch your bill very closely with Dish. I'm not going into details as my fingers won't last that long talking about the BAD service we had with Dish over a 3 year period so I'll just say, "This fat boy won't ever have dish again", PERIOD!!!!! I sincerely wish you all the best of luck with Dish Network.
Alwims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 02:08 PM   #6
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I have had both, they both suck, but whatcha gonna do. I have become very technically savvy because of it so I rarely need their help. There are bad stories for both and their competition is fierce and we are the battleground.

I currently use Dish because this time around it's cheaper per month for the upcoming year than DirecTV. I was also having a daily issue several times a day where we'd lose all the HD screens with DirecTV. They were never able to fix it unless I wanted to pay for new stuff (what a way to treat a long term customer). So I switched to Dish and in a year it will be about the same cost, but the TV port costs for Dish is $7, Direct is $5, but Dish provides a little more with similar programming so I'll tolerate it until Direct under cuts them for programming. It's all a balancing act.

Service stories are very dependent on the buffoon you get on the other line. Some are real good, some are real bad but most have horrible English and probably don't understand what I'm saying because I will get REAL technical on their butts just to mess them up. They've both found out that I am way smarter than their average customer so will refer me to their next levels up and I have always gotten satisfaction this way. I have been able to help friends and family because of this talent.

At home I have HD and on the road I don't. Directv deals with that difference easier than I have it set up for Dish. I have all HD receivers for Dish and this means I must do a "CHECK SWITCH" operation in order to "dummy down" the receiver otherwise it doesn't work too well trying to locate the HD satellites when I don't need it. This process and downloading all the programming takes FOREVER with Dish. Directv was much faster. One of these days I'll convert all screens to HD capable and not worry about it.

In summary, get the cheapest per month after calculating, HD or not, DVR or not, # of TV ports, quantity and types of receivers, installation, activation, tax, fees. If needed have them throw in a spare dish for the Monty or the house, whichever you need. Everything else is a wash - support, technical equipment and programming availability.

DirecTV is barraging me twice a month (once in English and once in Spanish and I don't speak Spanish) in an effort to get me back. They have even offered to pay my penalties, but what they are offering won't be worth it for at least another year, then who knows, I may switch back to DirecTV.

Have fun with this one.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 05:20 PM   #7
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
We've been with DirecTV for many years. We've had some problems from time to time but I must admit that 90% of the time the problem has been on my end. Don't like to admit that but that's been my experience.

Their CSRs have been some of the best ever! I really like the way they handle business. Unlike some places where it is hard to understand what the rep is trying to say we've never had that problem with DirecTV.

I'm not real happy with their prices but again some of that is on me. I need to assess what I want to watch as I think I can probably reduce my overall costs.

Good luck.
HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 04:33 AM   #8
D Lefevre
Established Member

M.O.C. #10268
We have had Dish for years. Haven't had much trouble with them. Even have it in our RV. Haven't had much trouble when we set it up at the parks. When I do need to talk with them, they have been very helpful. Usally can fix with just a phone call. Very satificed,
D Lefevre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 03:08 PM   #9
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
My answer to Randy would be to outline the DTV history to DTV. I really don't think an answer can come forward here as you have both Dish and DTV customers with their own personal bias as to either their good service or lack thereof. There are still some opportunities left for DTV to redeem itself. If you don't think so or are just exhausted with previous outcomes, go for Dish. I don't think loyalty really will get you one iota of better service just your decision to stay or leave them. I am negotiating right now with DTV for free HD that is being offered to new subscribers. It I can't get it, I simply tell DTV, I will call Dish and get back with them. Be nice but be firm as a customer.
mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 05:02 PM   #10
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
I have had Direct for three years and sometimes my patience wears thin with the CSR's. Everytime I call I get different answers to the same questions. My problem is that I have a Traveler antenna that is Direct only. I just have to put up with it. We have the full service and it is getting a little too expensive, if we ever buy a park model we will reevaluate at that time. As Dennis says, there is no right answer for everyone as we all have different experiences.
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 05:09 PM   #11
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mail2us

My answer to Randy would be to outline the DTV history to DTV. I really don't think an answer can come forward here as you have both Dish and DTV customers with their own personal bias as to either their good service or lack thereof. There are still some opportunities left for DTV to redeem itself. If you don't think so or are just exhausted with previous outcomes, go for Dish. I don't think loyalty really will get you one iota of better service just your decision to stay or leave them. I am negotiating right now with DTV for free HD that is being offered to new subscribers. It I can't get it, I simply tell DTV, I will call Dish and get back with them. Be nice but be firm as a customer.
Dennis, I negotiated with them and they agreed to drop the HD fee for 24 months!
Jack
jjackflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 07:39 PM   #12
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
I have been using Dish Net for years about 16 to be exact they have had there ups and downs, but lately the service I have received has been very good, polite, and fast, for all 4 of my receivers, two that are in the Keystone RV.
I am very satisified.
Old 10-30-2010, 08:25 AM   #13
pineranch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9765
Hope someone has the answer;
I have Direct TV. Take 2 boxes on the road and have had no problems other than an occassional brain dump.
While traveling this summer, I called Direct and asked them to show me in another ZIP code area. They did for St Louis, Gettysburg and Asheville and I was able to get local channels. Tried the same thing last week in Georgia and was told that my request was not possible. Got the supervisor and relayed that they had done it 3 other times for me and was told "being able to and being authorized is not the same". Do I have a leg to stand on or should I chalk it up and be happy with going 3 for 4?
Mike
pineranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 11:51 AM   #14
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Mike,
The first 3 times you got someone who knew what to do. I have my "locals" while at home. As long as I stay within about a 300 mile range I still receive them. Once I go beyond the spot beam range I no longer receive them. And I do not try to update them while on the road. If I really want to receive local channels while on the road I crank up my antenna.

Some people do want to get some local channels while on the road. From what I understand you can contact DirecTV and change your SERVICE address to equal wherever you happen to be. I do not think this costs anything but do not know that for certain. I think you can even do this via the computer but have no idea how to go about it. I think Rich of RichFAA does this sort of thing. Perhaps he'll jump in and give you the correct info. Or perhaps someone else knows and will educate us.

Good luck.
Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 02:01 PM   #15
7.3Ford
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9808
I have had Dish Network since 1995.

We got a Wanegard Carryout Automatic Portable Satellite TV Antenna about two months ago. Our Home receivers are HD-DVR's with 2 tuners. The didn't work well with the Carryout because one tuner would want one Sat, and the other tuner would want another. Carryout only points to one at a time. Also Carryout only supports HD programming on Dish and Bell TV. Direct is supported in SD only.

Our solution was to get a VIP-211K HD Receiver (non DVR) which has one tuner for the Monty. I then connected a 320GB USB Hard Drive to the VIP-211K and it becomes a DVR without having to pay DVR monthly fee. (There is a one time charge of $39.99 to active this feature for all your receivers). If you are using a multi-LNB disk, you can also get a VIP-222K HD Receiver (non DVR) which has two tuners. Connect a USB Hard Drive and you have a DVR, again without paying extra DVR monthly fee.

Lastly Dish Network no longer charges extra for HD. I only watch HD programming now, even on SD TV. The picture is better even on a SD TV.
7.3Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 03:47 PM   #16
Jdrobone
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9833
2 may toe 2 mot toe
Jdrobone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 04:07 PM   #17
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
You can't get the NFL package on Dish TV;;;;;sailer
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 08:37 AM   #18
worknomore
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2216
I've had Dish for about 7 years, both at home and in the rig - they have been very good in both in-home and phone service. Price was the original determining factor, and I don't regret it. I wasn't looking for a particular programming package, so you may want to investigate Dish to see if they have what you want at the price point you're willing to pay. Brother-in-law has Direct & never has anything good to say about it (especially when I can get local channels 150+ miles away & he can't)...
worknomore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 02:40 PM   #19
The Weekenders
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8863
We have had Dish for nearly 10 years now and have used it in the fiver for about 5 years. No real problems. We have the dual DVR in the Montana which has been real nice. I have also become quite savvy with setting up the dish at parks etc.
The Weekenders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 01:40 AM   #20
Wild Horse
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10026
I have same issue as pineranch....and then some. IMHO, Directv is terrible.
Bill
Wild Horse is offline   Reply With Quote