Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-16-2006, 07:01 AM   #1
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
Montana wins the competition !!!!

Jo-Anna and I went to the RV show up in Hershey PA yesterday to check out the competition so that we could confirm whether or not we would be going with a Montana when we buy our rig next spring. And I'm overjoyed to say that MONTANA 3400 WINS THE COMPETITION!!!

Now that's not to say that the Montana 3400 we used as our model was the best RV we saw. We saw some really nice RVs from New Horizons, Travel Supreme, Teton, Newmar and other top manufacturers. But they were never the true competition--separate and apart from their much higher price, they were far heavier than I would be comfortable trying to handle with a F350. So looking at those units was more a matter of looking for ideas on what we might do with the rig we end up buying--as well as having some fun seeing what can be done with an RV when price and weight limits aren't a factor.

Instead, based on the good advice I got on this forum, and my followup research, I saw the closest competitors to the 3400 as being the Forest River Cardinal, Jayco Designer, Everest, Sunnybrook and Cedar Creek. We looked at them all, even though a few didn't have the specific model on the lot that I was most interested in. I don't deny that they are nice units, but none wowed us, and certainly none made us feel like it beat out the 3400. Indeed, when we dropped by the Montana area in the afternoon, sitting in the 3400 felt like coming home. Nice to feel peace of mind about the decision that THE 3400 IS THE ONE FOR US. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!

So now we have to finalize our decisions about what options to go with and what standard equipment we might want to forego. On the latter point, there are a few items where we'd appreciate any info anyone can share with us on the following:

1. What's the current rebate that Montana gives if you decline to take one or both of the standard recliners?

2. What's the rebate if you don't take the standard jackknife sofa?

3. Has anyone ever been able to persuade Montana to put in dinette chairs with a different color pattern than the rest of the coach? We are inclined to go with the Sapphire Blue decor for most of the coach, but would like to get the dinette chairs in the Venetian Gold. Has anyone ever been able to do something like that?

4. There is a 6"-8" wide band of decorative wall paper trim that runs horizontally around the living room in a band about 3' up from the floor. We don't want it. Has anyone ever tried to remove it and/or been able to get Montana not to install it? Is it covering any type of seam in the wall covering that would be exposed if that decorative band is removed?

5. Can you have Montana install 3 of the 4 slide topper awnings on a 3400 but not all 4? We're thinking of going with the Carefree of Colorado awning for the big living room slide--the version that can be extended down to also form a window awning as needed in addition to being a slide top awning. But we could go with the regular Montana slide toppers for the other 3 slides as we don't feel they need window awnings.

Appreciate any info you great people can share on any of these points.

David and Jo-Anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 07:10 AM   #2
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Well, David, you'll be in the right place next week to get your answers. I would recommend that you try to contact the right person at Keystone who could give you the right answers and have a sit down with him/them.

I know people have covered the border in the Montana. As long as you cover it with a wider band, it's successful.

I wouldn't order the recliners either if I was ordering a new one and I think they can be omitted. Didn't know the jackknife sofa was now standard. Maybe it's always been that way. Not much help, just my thoughts.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 07:29 AM   #3
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Congrats David

To remove the wallpaper border is not the problem, but, if you have it, you are going to need to replace it with other. As Judy points out you need to replace with as wide OR even better a bit wider. I, and others, have done so. The stuff they put that border on with would hold a 747 together without the extra use of bolts! Man, I have never encountered anything that is that sticky. NEVER.

Gasoline will not take it off, Fla Native did find something that does take off the sticky, but it is something that is not for sale commercially. A couple of others have been able to get a supply of the sticky stuff remover. They say it works great.

My situation was I had the paper off, and what I chose was 1/4 inch smaller and my hair stuck to the 1/4 inch left there. In a week all of it would have been covered with dust and fuzz too, hmmmmm, , wall paper border with a beard! Anyway, all kidding aside, I needed to get paper back up RIGHT then, so, I went out, bought something else, and put it up.

As far as ordering WITHOUT the border there, one can always ask, they can say no.

As far as the other questions, I'm with Judy, ask at the Rally!

Congrats,

Carol
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 02:51 PM   #4
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
David..We agree with your list of closest competitors..Ours strangly enough was exactly the same..came this close to buying the Cardinal which we think is a toss up..So anyhow the Montana wins the competition...so..what else is new????
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 02:55 PM   #5
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
David, we removed all of our border and were successful in removing the underlying glue with Goo Gone. If you can order it without the border, DO IT!!! You'll be glad you did.
bob n pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 03:01 PM   #6
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
I was recently negotiating with our dealer for a new Montana and did not want the recliners as I have two new Lazy Boy's in my 3670 that I would have put in the new coach. The dealer said I would recieve $450.00 credit for each of the recliners if I chose to not have them. Since then I have had my flex problem repaired and we have decided to keep our 3670 for awhile longer as we really love this open floor plan.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 05:08 PM   #7
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
David,
I am glad to hear that the Montana has beat out the rest once again!! I dont think you will have any regrets once you pick up your new 3400RL. You are going to love it.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 11:13 PM   #8
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
I ain't so sure the Montana won. I think maybe you are the ones that won. Happy RVing...
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 02:05 AM   #9
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Bob & Pam

Question on taking off the wallpaper border, how long after you took delivery did you remove the paper??? I wondered if that had anything to do with it, as I did mine about 2 years after delivery. Wondered if the glue "seasoned" as it were. Hmmm

Carol
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 03:52 AM   #10
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
Well it is nice to hear that the Montanas can take on the competition and win again.

I think David and Jo-Anna are going to be very happy with the 3400. Great choice.
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote