Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-18-2006, 04:43 PM   #21
Gpa_Dick
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5960
I checked the hinges by trying to wiggle the cabinet doors up and down and I didn't see any budge. Was it some time after you put some miles on it that the screws started getting loose? My Reese is a 16 k slider as well. Like I said in a prior post, I only got the slider for that "just in case" moment that I just didn't think about.

We are so anxious to get it Friday. I am glad I only have to wait a few days. I don't know how I could deal with the 8 or 10 weeks.

Gpa_Dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 04:58 PM   #22
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The over torqued hinge screws are an annoyance factor/Just put a little pressure on the screw, not much, if it turns it is over torqued.We found over 20 over torqued after we brought it home and perhaps another 20 have loosened over the last couple of months.Helen found a couple this trip by noticing that the cabinet doors did not align properly.We use a drop or two of super glue on the original hinge screw and screw it back in..it works as well as does several other methods used by MOC members.You are going to love that 3400..remember..it is a "big" camper as we found out on this trip as we had to shoe horn it into a couple of campgrounds..Helen is very good at parking this thing..be very careful.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 05:06 PM   #23
boat391
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5756
lol cool for you friday is the big day our third trip out the middle pantry door fell off and messed up the side of the cabinet bent the hinge before falling off so I replaced the hinges on all doors with a self closing hinge from home depot very close match to the ones installed the first time what I found after going through the entire coach with a screw driver and testing all screws was like I said aprox half or better were striped out (over tight) so I got out the wood glue and tooth picks and went to town all tight now the doors in the pantry I anchored them with t-nuts so they will never come out unless I want them too We took it out last weekend and no problems so I'll be happy to report I am in love with the monty once more lol but I did have a moment when I found the door lol when the door fell off a can of pam fell out and got under the kitchen slide but it was a lucky save on my part I put out the slides and it just didn't act right I stopped just before exploding the can and tearing up the flooring so look before sliding lol that one is high enough for anything unwanted to get under it it pulls down into place at the end of it's slide so hope this helps you out a little till you get used to yours
boat391 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 05:08 PM   #24
Gpa_Dick
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5960
I will get my first experience backing this thing in a 45x25 site close by. I pleaded for a pull through but they wouldn't take the bribe so I think I will find a big empty parking lot somewhere on the way and try and get a feel for this. I do fine with a TT but just now sure about the 5vr.

I will keep an eye on those screws and bring some super glue and extra toothpicks just in case.

Thanks Rich, I will be careful.

Thank you all for your encouragement. I am looking forward to this experience.

Rich you all made it back safely - cool. I bet Dave and Cheryl are just on the edge of their seat waiting for their 3400RL to get in. They undoubtedly really appreciate your help and encouragement.
Old 07-19-2006, 02:32 PM   #25
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Congrats on your new 3400RL!! I hope you enjoy it as much as I do mine...
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 04:51 PM   #26
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
GPA Dick..we shoe horned the 3400 into a spot in Canada that seemed impossible to us and several nearby campers although we did rearrange a couple of flower beds ..not to mention a medium sized boulder and did I mention the 4 inch round tree..Got it with the truck.No damage to our stuff but the campground owner hopes we will come back so he can recoup some of his losses. We knew we were in trouble when he asked us to pull over so we would not block the enter lane and when we pulled to where he wanted us 5 feet of the 3400 stuck out. He had to open the exit lane for folks to get in ..and we could not make the first turn to our site..scratch one flower bed..I told him...I told him... Folks refered to us as.."that big unit that pulled in" Take your time..Have fun.. We are going over to the Dealer to meet Dave and Sheryl in the AM. I am almost as excited as they are.No one could be more excited than Sheryl and Dave is always excited..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 06:56 PM   #27
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
Gpa Dick,

When we got our 3400, we spent almost 5 hours in a big parking lot practicing backing up through chicanes, etc.

Since then (Easter) we have pulled the 5er over 4000 miles and we have backed in to quite a few spots. Like Rich, we have trapled a few bushes, but since I tell each RVpark that we are 40' w/ 4 slides, I think it is on them to tell us that we are to big if they don't want their lawn or flower beds (that are too close) driven upon.

My 2 cents.
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 07:04 PM   #28
Gpa_Dick
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5960
Hey Rich, tell Dave & Sheryl hi and I hope the coach is in as fine shape as yours. Michael, I will be doing the same thing before trying to get in the slot they have me reserved in at the Jantzen Beach RV Park.

I will let you all know how it went this weekend.

Nighty night all.
Old 07-21-2006, 04:04 PM   #29
Chaser
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2310
Send a message via Yahoo to Chaser
Gpa Dick - if you want some decent practice place - after this heatwave is over - go to Champoeg State Park - just South of Wilsonville - good place to practice - usually not a lot of gawkers and low bushes - small trees - but their sites are long and usually very easy to maneuver into - we go there all the time - as we make many trips to VA Center in Portland...just a thought - we practiced with the 3400 even though we had had a 3295 previously - one has to account for the extra slide, length, etc. - just a thought!

Chaser
Mike & Evy Orlob
Central Oregon
2006.5 3400/2004 Dodge Ram 3500
Retired/Rv'ers/Race Fans
Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 06:48 AM   #30
Sunshine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2018
Gpadick - Tell the campgrounds you need a pull through because this is your first 5th wheel and you are totally new to backing and wouldn't want to wipe out anything! With practice you'll be able to put that 3400 most anywhere. Safe travels.
Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 08:05 AM   #31
Montana_1240
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1240
We've towed all the way down from Alaska, staying in all sorts of sites. And I still think that I could make a load of money selling tickets to my attempts to back into some spots. (You should have seen me backing it down our sloped and curved 250’ driveway in Alaska, on the way home for the first time! That’s when I acquired the “Pay-Per-View” idea.)

I can do it. But I have to do it awfully slow. And once I'm pretty much into the spot, I tend to spend a bit of time jockeying it so that the steps even with whatever patio there might be.

All the practice one might do in a parking lot can't equate to one attempt to back into a spot that is tree-lined. I am so afraid of hitting branches, marring the Monty, cracking the A/C housing, or possibly breaking off one of the vents.

Still, the practice at least gives you a clue as to how far to pull ahead to back & turn it. But that doesn't always show you how much your truck might be wandering to the sides of the allotted space, even as you devote all your attention on the mirrors, and the shouting from your spouse. (Being half deaf makes it doubly difficult, too!) I can’t tell how many times I’ve had to “abort,” and “go around,” just because the truck was starting to nearly brush up against a tree.

But I can tell you. It does come with time. I take my time. And then we have a good time.

Steve
Montana_1240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 10:16 AM   #32
gtmoseley

M.O.C. #6057
Congrats Dick, We just bought our first 5th wheel in June 06'. Just like you I was used to the TT way of tracking, a couple of days towing around town and I was good to go (no damage)not to mention I tow an 18ft boat behind the 5th wheel. The hitch I have and love is the B&W gooseneck with the 5th wheel companion, 18k rating, a bit pricey but when when removed you have your complete bed back.
gtmoseley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 02:39 AM   #33
Gpa_Dick
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5960
Thanks guys for the encouraging words. I did well after all. I did ask....well pleaded....;^) for a walk through but they were all reserved. They did give me a deep one and it went in without any problems. I had to pull forward a little to make adjustments but that was because there was a hedge that went right to the spot I needed to turn. But Mary did a great job guiding me in.

Chompoeg Park is pretty close, we might try that. We like Mt Hood Village Rv Park also.

Thanks again and we are smiling from ear to ear still. This 3400 is beautiful and without any problems! I will write more tonight as I have to get to work.

Later.
Old 07-24-2006, 03:40 AM   #34
Chaser
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2310
Send a message via Yahoo to Chaser
Looks great! Good Job!

Chaser
Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote