Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-29-2006, 02:52 PM   #21
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
Sorry to hear about your problems. I hope Keystone steps up to the plate for you and takes care of this. I'm sure you're dissapointed but maybe you've run into all you're going to. Keep us informed.

mac

Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 03:05 PM   #22
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
I still feel most of the problems are caused by poor employees , or untrained vacation relief and then poor quality control by the people that let that stuff leave the factory in that condition.
Some of the flaws we have seen on RVs, Keystone and the other brands, was work that could only be done by employees that don't take pride in their work and any inspector that would allow a mess to be shipped, well they all deserve to be shipped out.

We made the deal on our 06 2955RL, subject to our liking the interior color which was Spruce.
It was not our first choice for the interior color scheme but we were so impressed with the workmanship and the fit and finish and after a few hours we decided to take it rather than take a chance ordering and getting a dud. We now love the thing and since have gone into the color choice that had been our first choice and we find it so washed out. We love our Spruce Montana and our first trip out which was 44 days long was an absolute joy with not one issue.
My advice to anyone buying a new RV, Montana or any brand, walk through it and find 3 different flaws........ even if you ordered it, walk away because if you find 3 obvious flaws, think about all the things you can't see and this tells you that the bad inspector and the problematic employees built this thing, and trust me, you don't want it.
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 06:03 AM   #23
boat391
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5756
such a great tip so far the big problem with our is poorly attached hinges and screws to the hinges over tightened or put is at a angle the just can't hold like that also many doors don't latch tight thats the big up grade we are doing this weeked and may reface the pantry with solid oak thats the most used and has the heavest doors I do have the knowage and tools to really do a nice fix to this problem but to my way of thinking it should be done at the factory a door should shut tight and not fall off at any time in a RV they know the deal thats poor quality control period If I'm mad because a door falls off on the third trip out and tell the guy camping next too me about it and he tells his friend and so on Montana won't stay number one for long just a thought lol Does anyone have a opinon on the good sam club ? they have sent me a enrollment form But I have no knowlage of them
boat391 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 06:08 AM   #24
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Tim, several other threads ongoing right now about Good Sam clubs, do a search.

Many of us use Good Sam, emergency road service and the emergency medical service as well. They are well rated and experience is that they live up to a good reputation.
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 06:10 AM   #25
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I believe most here belong to Good Sam. Good benefits, good emergency roadside service, good emergency medical plans while on the road, discounts on camping, lots of junk mail...
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 02:41 PM   #26
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
We have been Good Sam members for many years and enjoy all the benefits. We do not receive any more "junk mail" from them as from other organizations we belong to.

A note of the cabinet doors. We found one of our doors in the Monty with a screwed that is stripped. Ours is almost 2 years old. Right before we left for our trip the very expensive, all oak cabinet in my office (stick house) had a door that just fell off. All four screws came out. Same problem - the screws are too small. I tell you this to emphasize that it is not just RV's that have problems.
Happy trails...........................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 06:15 AM   #27
boat391
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5756
great story lol I have had the same type of problems to in everyday life Well the work is now complete and all screws are tight and hinges replaced at least the ones that needed it was a big job for the wife and I but we finished in 1 day Home Depot has no more hinges left or t-nuts and screws but they will get bye lol I found a nice self closing hinge that pretty much matches the ones in the monty so didn't require a lot of fab work I did find how ever the cabinets above the couch and dinette to not be attached to the slider properly but it was a easy fix so I guess I'm back in love with our 3400 lol Iam sending keystone a list of repairs and pictures so they can my a few improvements for the next customer ata least I hope they will listen I don't need anything from them other than knowing I may have helped out for the next guy we are off on our next little trip in two weeks so maybey everything will go the way it should lol thanks for letting me vent and all your help
boat391 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 12:04 PM   #28
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
While going through my pre trip checklist ..Tire pressure and lug nut torque I found that although the tires had lost no pressure on one tire when I wiggled the valve stem air rushed out. I always do a valve stem wiggle test.. Now this is a brand new 3400 deliverd May 3rd and only driven @ 125 miles from dealer to home. I would guess not properly installed..this is a good check for the PDI.Tire goes to the tire guy in the AM for repair..I will have him evaluate the valve stem. If we find carleless installation or sub standard valve stem there will be big trouble in River city..This is a big time safety issue...
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 01:56 PM   #29
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
Quote:
quote:dsprik...I believe most here belong to Good Sam. Good benefits, good emergency roadside service, good emergency medical plans while on the road, discounts on camping, lots of junk mail...
I agree regarding the junk mail!! The ads we get from Good Sam Club are double the amount from anybody else...always trying to sell us something.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 02:14 PM   #30
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We belong to Good Sam..have for years..had the road service for a long time and it is good but there are others just as good..We went to Allstate road service a few years ago.I think that if you compare them side by side Allstate has more service and benefits than Good Sam for the same price..also as I recall they have more participating service outlets..Nothing wrong with Good Sam but I to was fed up with the junk mail and could not get them to stop. Do some comparison shopping before you spend the bucks..
Old 07-02-2006, 02:39 PM   #31
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Rich,

Do you know if Allstate will tow your Montana to a campground?? that was one benefit that we always wanted to keep around. Also, do they specialize in RV's and tow vehicles, as does Good Sam.

Not sure why, but don't seem to be getting as much junk mail from Good Sam these days, HAHA, helps when Al gets the mail, eh??
Old 07-02-2006, 03:21 PM   #32
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Yes they do.They ofer the same services as Good Sam and a few more..Check them out. We used Good sam once and were completly satisfied..We used Allstate once and was completely satisfied. It is just my opinion that allstate has more service members than good Sam in more places. I would be satisfied with either one.The only way we could get Good Sam to stop bothering us was to drop them///
Old 07-02-2006, 03:24 PM   #33
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
If ya don't mind my asking, how much are you paying for Allstate per year and how many vehicles does it cover??
Old 07-02-2006, 04:32 PM   #34
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
See http://www.allstate.com/products/oth...ge=options.htm

Glad you asked ..I had no idea..We have the RV Roadhelp plan and I note that our last annual premium was 99.95
Old 07-02-2006, 08:00 PM   #35
Fordzilla
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2819
Send a message via MSN to Fordzilla
Not to put down any insurance or the other. But I was reading the Allstate RV Road help plan and wanted to share a past experience with you all. I know from experience Ford's new vehicle plan does not cover moving the RV at all. Last year when we had troubles Ford wouldn't pay to get the Monty. They wanted us to unhook the trailer and leave it there. If we needed it moved we would have to pay for it out of our own pocket. Luckily for us we were only about 10 miles from a large ford truck only dealer and after the truck cooled down we were able to limp into the dealer with trailer in tow. Where roadside assistance wanted us to leave the trailer sitting was an exit that contained a small truck stop and an adult book store. Not where I really wanted to spend our family vacation!!!
Fordzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 01:40 AM   #36
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I think that most of the leading RV roadside assistance plans have unlimited towing for the Tv and RV.You need to be careful with AAA as in some States they do not cover RV's or have very limited coverage. In my case with The RV Roadhelp plan from Allstate we had broken a spring on our TT and within 1/2 hour they had a flatbed truck on the way to load the TT on to it and take it wherever we wanted..This was a 32foot TT. Our service from Good Sam when we used it was just a efficient.
Old 07-03-2006, 04:31 AM   #37
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
[quote]Originally posted by richfaa

While going through my pre trip checklist ..Tire pressure and lug nut torque I found that although the tires had lost no pressure on one tire when I wiggled the valve stem air rushed out. I always do a valve stem wiggle test.. Now this is a brand new 3400 deliverd May 3rd and only driven @ 125 miles from dealer to home. I would guess not properly installed..this is a good check for the PDI.Tire goes to the tire guy in the AM for repair..I will have him evaluate the valve stem. If we find carleless installation or sub standard valve stem there will be big trouble in River city..This is a big time safety issue...

Just got back from my tire guy and very good friend.He replaced the Valve stem with a steel one that locks into the rim.The one that leaked reads TR-80-HP (Trailer- 80 psi..High Pressure) They are Ok says he but not the best,He will send a truck over and replace the rest of them when we get back (no charge by the way)He is the one we got the "wiggle test from..that the rest of them passed the wiggle test is a good thing and they will no doubt be ok. there are a couple of things..says he..that can cause a leaky valve stem.. A burr/dirt around the valve stem hole in the rim or a plain defective valve stem..Everything looked good so it must have been a bad stem. I would recommend the upgrade for all.. We are also now seriously considering the tire monitoring system since in most cases you never know you have a tire failure till pieces start to fly off your camper. Glenn of Glenn and Lorraine is a tire guy..what do you think of the valve stem upgrade????

Old 08-01-2006, 05:06 PM   #38
WACOT
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1946
AZcampin. We have a Montana 2955RL and for a time after we took delivery we had water coming in around the bedroom slide after any rain. I took it to the dealer on 7-8 occasions and kept good records and after trying to get some response from Keystone I sent them copies of all the problems by registered mail. Someone has to sign for that and you get a reciept back as to who and when. It wasn't long before the unit was on the road back to the factory and have not had the same problem recure. Look for WACOT under members and you can find all my triade about cheap, shoddy work, if you are so inclined.
WACOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 05:54 PM   #39
gungho
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #2818
Sadly welcome to the ugly world of keystone. Worst rv i have ever owned.

Jon & Marty
F250 6L psd
3400rl
gungho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 05:58 PM   #40
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
And the best we have ever owned, thank you gungho. This is our third RV and we love our Monty even though there have been a few small problems they are secondary products (toilet, microwave, Fantastic Fan).
Gungho, if this is the worst RV you have ever owned, why are you still on the MOC forum?
Happy trails..............................

Sue and Ed Rowe
Hemet California

2005 3400RL
2006 GMC 3500 Dually, D/A, Crew Cab, Long Bed
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote