Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-30-2006, 01:21 PM   #21
SAndreasen
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1918
I'm glad that you are feeling better! What a hit on the head! I know I don't have a 5er but I've almost broke my skin bone on the tonge of my TT so I guess we all need to pay attention around our rigs. Glad God planned us to heal.

SAndreasen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 01:34 PM   #22
fulltimedreamer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #919
OOWWW!! It makes me hurt just to see it. Glad they got you fixed up. Hope the rest of your time in the RGV is better.
fulltimedreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 04:00 PM   #23
derfr
Established Member

M.O.C. #4953
I only did this once. I don't have a hair cushion to soften the blow.
So what I have now done is take a piece of insulation wrap that is used to insulate water pipes and place it on those edges. The insulation is already split and has an adhesive strip on each of those edges which stick quite well to the metal especially since the pipe is under tension from being separated lengthwise. Now I look forward to bumping into the soft insulation! I also place a strip of that pipe insulation at the lower end of the bedroom slide on each side. Maybe this will help others of you from a future knock on the noggin.
derfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 04:14 PM   #24
Imp
Montana Master

M.O.C. #956
OUCH!! Are you seeing double?! Bob usually just removes a layer of skin off his noggin and wears a thick wool hat when breaking down and setting up. I think a hard hat will be on order for future times. I told him he could get a pith helmet as it is ventilated for the warmer weather. Take care and hope it heals fast...
Myrna
Imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 04:29 PM   #25
Garin1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2773
OUCH That's gonna leave a markHope you are feeling better real soon. Glad you had a couple of good MOC'ers there to help out.
You must have been moving at warp speed. That is really bad. Well,,get the grinder,,paint the hitch,,barricade tape??,,hire a guard
Garin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 05:50 PM   #26
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
John
I hope you feel better soon because I know you are in pain right now. I'm glad you were among friends. This story will be told a thousand times in the future. I think we will check ours first thing in the morning.
Happy trails....................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 11:06 PM   #27
JLBOZ60
Montana Master

M.O.C. #826
John, That was a nasty knock on the head, and we were glad that Al & Carol were there to help. You will always have something to remind you that you need to duck whenever your under the hitch or bedroom slide. Marge
JLBOZ60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 01:53 AM   #28
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
I see John has not checked in yet, but he tells us he had not had a headache with this, can you believe it?? Yes, the jokes about hard heads and stuff have started around the campfire. Seriously tho, we have all learned something from this, Al and I did not know about that padded cover from CW. We were all relieved when the trip to the local hospital did not take long at all. Now, from the stories we are hearing, John will be "feeling the pain" of the hospital and insurance battles a lot longer than this wound may last. We ALL hate that part, don't we??
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 05:28 AM   #29
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Just came back from CW..After taking a look at "the head" got the hitch cover.It hurts just to look at the picture.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 11:44 AM   #30
MIMF2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3886
That gave me an instant head ache the second I saw it!

I WILL be showing these pictures to some important people to see if something can be done to avoid something this serious again.
MIMF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 06:38 AM   #31
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by MIMF2

That gave me an instant head ache the second I saw it!

I WILL be showing these pictures to some important people to see if something can be done to avoid something this serious again.
Dale, I appreciate your interest. Steel is always going to be harder than heads, but there are some sharp corners that could be rounded off. It was the back corner of the king pin mounting plate that got me. It projects slightly beyond the pin box, leaving a sharp projection.

Anyway, I actually got away very easily, with no prolonged pain, or need for pain killers. My thanks to all the MOC members for their kind thoughts and suggestions. I will be following up on the padding ideas.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 10:52 AM   #32
Broome101
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1832
Ouch
Broome101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 10:57 AM   #33
Pete Hanson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3543
We saw an easy, inexpensive solution for padding the hitch and low slider corners at a campground and have since employed it on our Monty. Purchase the swim toy called a "noodle" which is simply a long styrofoam tube the kids tuck under their arms for floating. It is hollow in the middle so by cutting it halfway though (lengthwise) allows you to slip it over sharp edges and it stays put by its pinching motion. Of course, you can easily cut it to length as well. You can cut a "V" shape into it so it can bend 90 degrees on the slider corners. It provides great padding for those danger points. If your lucky you can find a color coordinated noodle.
Pete Hanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 10:56 AM   #34
DiananColin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #447
Send a message via Yahoo to DiananColin
OntMont isn't it lucky that us Canucks are a hard headed bunch?

I cannot claim as many stitches as you but the bedroom slide can sure make a head bleed well - I know - been there, done it!

I always carry a noodle now - noodles can protect the noddle!

All the best - enjoy the valley.
DiananColin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 12:50 PM   #35
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by DiananColin

OntMont isn't it lucky that us Canucks are a hard headed bunch?
I'm not sure if I am "hard headed" or just "numb skulled".
Regardless, we are enjoying the valley.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 03:42 AM   #36
BigAl52
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4977
MAN I hope your okay that looks nasty. I know myself that this or something like it is going to get me one day. I hope not but sometimes you get so involved in what your doing that you don't remember that it's right there and bonk. Maybe from seeing and reading some other post like this I will be careful. Al
BigAl52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 06:52 AM   #37
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
MIMF - Dale, ours was very sharp on all four corners. OntMont is maybe 300 yards or so from us so we had opportunity to see the wound firsthand. After that I got out my file and rounded those corners, then shot them with black Rustoleum. Hitting them now would smart but shouldn't cut like John's did.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote