Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-29-2005, 06:58 AM   #1
jpbcny
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4571
For Honda EU2000i Owners

When I bought my Honda EU2000i last year I also purchased a 4 circuit 15 amp transfer switch:

and a power inlet box:

for my stick house so I could make use of the Generator at home. I recently went to the Website where I bought these items from NoOutage, and saw that they still had these items at clearance prices ($ 69.00 for the Transfer Switch, and $ 19.00 for the Exterior Power Inlet Box). You cant run your whole house with it, but you can choose 4 important circuits (and be able to run 1 or 2 of them at a time dependant upon the load), I have mine setup so I can run the refrigerator, furnace, sump pump, hot water heater (direct vent, needs electric to power vent fan), my solar heating system,, and my microwave. Since I installed the transfer switch, we've had 2 extended outages, 1 lasting a day and a half, I was able to power the appliances I needed by switching the power to the circuits I needed. If you already have a small generator (2000 watts, or less) its a SAFE, and INEXPENSIVE, way to get backup power for your home. The Transfer Switch, and Power Inlet were very straight foward, and simple installs:

Another item I find useful for the Honda EU2000i while using it to power the 5er is this 30-15 AMP Adapter I've used one of these since I got my 1st Pop-Up (15 yrs ago), they're great for when you only have a 15 AMP Power Source, either at home, or in a "Underpowered" Campground. It plugs into both sockets of a Duplex Receptacle, so no one can "Accidentally" try to plug something else in, and it makes a very SOLID connection.

Available at: RV Surplus for $ 10.00

Just thought I would share this with the group.

JP

jpbcny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 08:59 AM   #2
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
That is a great idea thanks for the info
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 02:31 PM   #3
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
Thanks a lot. This is great info. I have a Kippor Sinemaster 2000, wish I would have paid a little extra and got a Honda EU 2000 but this will work for me........if the Kippor will start
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 04:07 PM   #4
Jim
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #865
Wrenchtraveller - Your right it is good info and I will order the transfer switch. I finally got my McCollugh, which is manufactured by Kippor. It started right up out of the box, been running great and continues to start first or second pull everytime. Glad I got it and if I had to buy a Honda for the price, I probably wouldn't have bothered because I really didn't need a generator that bad.
Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 05:30 PM   #5
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
I don't have a Honda or any generator, but I wanted to compliment your presentation. Outstanding clarity and excellent visuals. Good job!!!!
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 06:08 AM   #6
mobilrvn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2056
We have the Honda, but no stick house! Great job and good info.
mobilrvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 02:10 PM   #7
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
Thanks Jim, I hope our Kippors both give us years of trouble free performance and in Canada the Kippor is almost half price. In the US they get Honda EU2000s for as low as 870 US dollars.
Now that our Can dollar is going up , I wish I would have got the Honda on my next US trip.
My Kippor runs great but it is not an easy starter like all the Hondas I have owned.
I am glad yours starts well and I might try a new plug on mine. Take care, Don.
Old 12-30-2005, 03:07 PM   #8
Jim
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #865
Don - We are spending the winter in the US and I will try to get a Honda travel cover for my Kippor. Then I can travel incognito.
Old 12-30-2005, 06:12 PM   #9
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mobilrvn

We have the Honda, but no stick house! Great job and good info.
That's funny, Bill! After all that's what everyone's goal should be, right?
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 12:24 PM   #10
BillyRay
Montana Master

M.O.C. #607
yes, very nice info. your sharing.
BillyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 01:36 PM   #11
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
Jim, my Kippor just earned some more respect from me. Today is windy on the Island and the power went out for an hour. I fired up the Kippor and it started on the 3rd pull. Usually takes 5 or 6 but this time I tried turning the smart throttle switch to on.

Anyway, I ran an extension into the kitchen and we had lights, TV, and I made a pot of coffee.
What a great feeling and maybe it was just bad luck to get two bad ones in a row. I am starting to hear more good things about them than bad and the fact that Honda won't allow their dealers to work on them does indicate that Honda is worried about losing a lot of sales.

If they were complete junk, Honda would not be too concerned I am sure.

I bought a good heavy black unmarked vinyl cover from Aurora Generators where I got the generator. A cover should not advertise what is under it. Good Luck and Happy New Year, Don.
Old 01-01-2006, 01:38 PM   #12
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
Jim, my Kippor just earned some more respect from me. Today is windy on the Island and the power went out for an hour. I fired up the Kippor and it started on the 3rd pull. Usually takes 5 or 6 but this time I tried turning the smart throttle switch to on.

Anyway, I ran an extension into the kitchen and we had lights, TV, and I made a pot of coffee.
What a great feeling and maybe it was just bad luck to get two bad ones in a row. I am starting to hear more good things about them than bad and the fact that Honda won't allow their dealers to work on them does indicate that Honda is worried about losing a lot of sales.

If they were complete junk, Honda would not be too concerned I am sure.

I bought a good heavy black unmarked vinyl cover from Aurora Generators where I got the generator. A cover should not advertise what is under it. Good Luck and Happy New Year, Don.
Old 01-01-2006, 02:23 PM   #13
DCP
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1013
Send a message via AIM to DCP Send a message via MSN to DCP
Thanks for the info!! I ordered today! Where else can you get this kind of information!!!
DCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 06:03 AM   #14
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
From a Dealer??? NOT!!

*On Edit~ What's the weight difference between the Kippor and the Honda? Did I miss that somewhere? And while we're at it... is the fuel capacity the same (runtime @ half load)?
Old 01-02-2006, 01:24 PM   #15
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
Hi Dave, the Honda & Kippor specs are the same for weight, noise, and run time which is 4 hours a tank on max throttle. It would be nice to hear them both side by side to see if they were identical. Do a search on Kippor and Aurora Generators should come up. If it doesn't let me know and I will give you a link.

Hope You and Cheryl had a nice New Years. Is your son in Neepawa, Manitoba?
Old 01-02-2006, 02:22 PM   #16
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Thanks, Don. I'll check that out. Yes, Derek and his wife live in Neepawa. Dennis and Leslie Skibinsky are the in-laws there. Great people.
Old 01-10-2006, 08:45 AM   #17
315RLS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1900
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jpbcny

When I bought my Honda EU2000i last year I also purchased a 4 circuit 15 amp transfer switch:
Great info! Keep in mind that you won't get 220v out of this so if you've a well or stove to run this configuration isn't going to help. After 5 years in my current home I brokedown and bought a Yamaha 6600 with 18,000 surge capability and added a 12 circuit transfer switch to do both 110/220 (we have a well and we needed water). I weep when I see my 2 little Honda 2000s sitting there knowing they just couldn't do the job.
315RLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 03:39 PM   #18
Jim
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #865
Don - We will be using our Kippor (McCulloch) next week boondocking in the desert just south of Green Valley, AZ. Looking forward to peace and quiet and desert sunrises and sunsets before returning home. I will let you know how the little beast performs.
Old 01-11-2006, 01:19 AM   #19
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
Jim, I let mine run for 30 minutes then changed the oil for the first time.

I hope you have a great time down south and your generator gives you great service. I got the Marine adapter plug and plugged my trailer into the Kippor. I had every light on in the unit and the battery level guage still showed a charge. I turned off the generator and the battery level dropped to 30 % so you would kill your batteries real quick if you had too many lights on.

If mine keeps running the way it is now, I will have no regrets.

Have a good time and have a good safe trip home . Don
Old 01-11-2006, 02:52 AM   #20
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Don, are you using 12v deep cycle batteries or the "golf cart" 6v batteries? And would there be a difference as far as holding juice when you shut off your gen?