Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-07-2005, 11:44 PM   #1
RKassl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3699
Winter Storage Question

For the owners who live in the very cold areas of the country, does anyone heat their Monty during the extreme cold months using a low setting on the furnace, or some other heating or warming device? Just want to keep the Monty healthy during our winter here in Northern Wisconsin.

RKassl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 01:59 AM   #2
Kathi
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3113
Is your Monty alive? I wasn't aware we had to do anything but winterize it with the antifreeze.....LOL
Kathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 02:12 AM   #3
rlwhit
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3189
With all the rain we have any vehicle will start to smell musty. I have a small electric heater that I use in the Monty to keep it dry. Turn it on for a day about every 4 days. Seems to keep things nice.
rlwhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 02:31 AM   #4
vickster
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1165
We keep our Monty warm by heading to the Texas Valley for the winter!!!!

Otherwise, we would just do the antifreeze winterization of the water lines, keep slids in, place lots of bounce dryer sheets around and leave one window slightly ajar to get air into Monty.
vickster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 03:33 AM   #5
toolmanroy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1745
We don't winterize, just leave the heater on low. We use it year round.
toolmanroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 04:21 AM   #6
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
In recent years we have been able to avoid winterizing by heading south, but when we did stay north, we just drained the plumbing and filled with anti-freeze. I would not try to keep the heat on. For one thing it might fail, and I would be concerned that a warm space like that would attract all kinds of critters. It is probably better for the trailer to be stored in extreme cold than in warmer humid climates. (We also put out mouse bait, just in case any got in, we had mice get in once in another trailer, and it is not a pretty sight!)
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 05:17 PM   #7
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I winterized mine and then backed it into the garage for winter. It gets pretty cold in there and have not had any trouble with the coach. I just open the fridge, and crack the roof vents to vent any possible odor or moisture, lay out a few decon traps around the tires and leave it for the winter. I have found the less I mess with things the better off they are.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 06:24 PM   #8
FredG
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1309
This year, we are doing pretty much the same as Montana Sky. For the last couple of years, we stored our unit outside, with the slides in, water system winterized, and fridge door opened a bit. We also stored it with the tires on wooden blocks to prevent some of the moisture from collecting aroudn the tires in the spring. No problems with doing that so far.

Fred
FredG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 08:09 PM   #9
Fordzilla
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2819
Send a message via MSN to Fordzilla
Winterize it and store it indoors if you can find a place. We are lucky and the fair grounds has 2 buildings that they store boats and campers in. Only costs about 200 for the winter. We like to keep the snow and melting ice from seeping into any little cracks and refreezing and spreading the cracks larger. Have been storing our previous trailers in the same building for about ten years and never once had a critter problem in any of them.
Fordzilla is offline   Reply With Quote