Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-11-2005, 06:09 AM   #21
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We were told the weights are what a "standard" rig weighs when it leaves the factory. "Standard" means with the most commonly ordered options. It does not include things like High Gloss, Generator Prep, battery, propane bottles, and probably other things.

The actual weight will include all the options, battery, propane bottles, fluids in the tanks, etc. It also includes all gear you add to the rig. How much pinweight depends on what you load in it and where you place those items. Put a generator in the front locker and you will have a higher pinweight. Etc. Etc.

We've owned three different brands of fifthwheels and all published weights were subject to the same vagaries. I don't know how they could possibly guess what each rig will weigh when loaded for a trip. Same for my truck. 'Curb weight' is the published weight but it basically only tells me that's what it weighs before I do anything to it. Not what it actually weighs when loaded for a trip.

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 08:40 AM   #22
rickfox
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2959
Steve, I agree with everything you say. I just have this little grimlin in my head that would like to have some idea where I'm starting from so I can make a good guess as to how much stuff I can add before I have to bolt on airbags and an engine chip.

I'll find out tomorrow as we are going to pick up our new 3400RL, and our first trip will be to the CAT scales. I hope I'm not un-pleasently surprised!
rickfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 09:58 AM   #23
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Rick, please post your weight scale results. I would be very curious.

Judy, you are saying that you did not use cell service in Canada, is that right? I know that I had a 800 service ($30/month) that I could call first then go into Canada for 2.5˘/min. I discontinued it because it wasn't cost effective as I was only calling once or twice a month to Manitoba. I guess I could check with some phone companies to see if they offer 800 service. But I don't have a land line... I'll still check.

Motorola cell phones. Over the years, I have used Nokia, LG, Kyocera, Audiovox... as well as Motorola (all with extendable antennas). Motorola RF antenna system is HANDS DOWN superior. Not even JMHO, it's a FACT... don't have a clue why the other mfrs can't copy this... or at least come close. My wife and I have always noticed a huge difference here in N. Mich when one of us had a Motolora and the other had a different brand. We just moved to a cell tower "challenged" area and we both had to switch to Moto phones (V710 for me, V262 for Cheryl) as NOTHING else had a signal. This is not just a one time thing, this has been with several models of phones over several years... always the same result.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 01:19 PM   #24
rickfox
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2959
Good Evening Dave,

I now have a new 3400RL and the first place we took it to was the CAT scales. The hitch weight came in at 1,980# and the overall weight came in at 11,860#

The unit as weighed had the following differences over what I have been told the "typically manufactured" 3400RL contains:

1) 1 battery - 40#
2) 2 fully charged propane tanks - 60#
3) 4 slide awnings - 200#
4) Fireplace - 30#
5) Coffee table - 10#
6) Small amount of water - 10#
7) Miscellaneous - manual, sewer and water hose etc. - 20#

Adding the above extra weight (many are "guess" weights) yeilds a total of 370# additional pounds. If correct, the UVW would be in the range of 11,490#. Guessing that approximately 20% of the added weight (370#) was transmitted to the hitch would yeild a UVW hitch weight of 1,906#.

According to the latest published specs - the 09/05 brochure - the weights should be 11,710# and 2,165#. According to the current specs on the Montana website (which Montana personnel have told me are incorrect) the weights should be 11,280# and 1960#.

The bottom line on all this - in my opinion - you buy your trailer and you take your chances. For me, I am happy that the trailer turned out to lighter than I expected, and the hitch weight turned out to be less than I expected - all good in my opinion.

With respect the the buying experience:
1) I got a 30% discount off the list price
2) We ordered it custom built from the factory on 10/25 and picked it up on 11/12. Our dealer called the factory and asked them to make a few small changes to a unit that had just gone into manufacturing - no aluminum wheels, full size bed rather than king, sofa table, and quad slide awnings. All the rest of our requirements were typically what all spec. trailers were being built with. None of our changes required any contruction changes. What a deal!
3) We spent about 3 hours checking it out before acceptance. We found 3 small problems and 1 larger one - the bedroom slide needed to be adjusted. We will know more after our upcoming shakedown cruise.
4) The floor tile was a different color than we had previously seen, but both my wife and I liked it better and were thus pleasently suprised.
5) The tires are Mission 235/80R16E, which is different than many of the other trailers that have been delivered - see other threads on this topic. We don't know what to think of this at this time.
5) We were actually very pleased with the overall fit, finish, quality and workmanship. Overall, we are quite pleased!

For the benefit of others, I am also going to post this on a new thread.
rickfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 01:30 PM   #25
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Rick..30% off MSVRP...You done good.It is encouraging to hear that your delivey experience was positive.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 03:56 PM   #26
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Thanks, Rick! This is encouraging news on the weight. We hope to take delivery on our 3400 at the end of May.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 08:25 AM   #27
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Congratulations, Rick, and thanks for a great post. Only thing I can see different is EACH full propane bottle will be about 60 lbs. Not a big deal in the overall scheme.

When you load it up with water and gear for a vacation, it'll likely be about 1500 lbs heavier. If fulltiming, I'd bet on 2500 lbs heavier. In any case, I appreciate hearing the numbers you found. Wish I'd done the same with ours.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote