Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-18-2005, 02:22 PM   #1
Montana_4812

M.O.C. #4812
A question for you fellows

A hopeful newbie here, we plan to join all you full timers this next summer so we are in the planning stage. We know we want a Montana and it probably will be the 3400RL but we don't want to put the cart before the horse so to speak, so here is our dilemma which horse to get. We think we should buy a one ton diesel but we would like to hear from all you experienced full timers what are you driving, how big, gas or diesel and why you have the TV you have? Thanks guys

Montana_4812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 02:56 PM   #2
Fordzilla
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2819
Send a message via MSN to Fordzilla
Welcome gardeninggal,

We are not full timers yet, but we chose a Diesel for better fuel economy and better pulling power when traveling thru the mountains. If I was full timing I would have probably ordered a dually as well, for the satisfaction of knowing it was more stable and secure. But we also use our truck for day to day use and the dual wheels would just be in the way and paying for 2 extra tires when time to replace.
Fordzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 02:59 PM   #3
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
Can a girl answer this? Anyway, see the Montana/Tow vehicle survey under the Towing posts. Lots of info there.

Pam
bob n pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 03:07 PM   #4
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Welcome, Gardeninggal! There is a section on MOC on Tow Vehicles. You have plunged into the hottest topic on any RV forum around. You will get tons (and tons) of reading material. I also am planning on a 3400RL next May. I have been on MOC since July, and I'm STILL not sure what tv I will get next month. Many here can help with their years of rving. Good luck and good reading. You are now in with a great group of guys & gals!
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 03:15 PM   #5
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Personally, I'd go with the one-ton. We presently have a 3/4 ton but will move up when the time comes.
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 03:42 PM   #6
Montana_4823

M.O.C. #4823
We just bought a new 2005 Mountaineer 319BH and are pulling it with a 2005 F350 4x4 diesel. We love how it pulls and handles the weight of the trailer. We just got rid of our 3/4 ton gas engine Chevy and our old trailer. The gas engine can't handle pulling anything big so I'd for sure go with diesel.
Montana_4823 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 03:48 PM   #7
palebluedot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #36
It generally comes down to a comfort level/budget thing. With a 3/4 ton you will almost certainly exceed the GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating) of the truck due to the heavy pin weight of most 5ers. With a 1 ton diesel you should be OK on all weight limits. If the budget allows go for the 1 ton diesel. You will feel better knowing it's not overloaded.
The diesel will cost about $5k more, but it is worth it in the long run. Better towing power and fuel mileage, plus it will last 500K miles with proper care. Maintenance will be somewhat higher on a diesel (12 qt. oil) vs a gasser. As for dual tires, the pros are better towing stability and safety (two tires in case one goes flat) cons higher cost of tire replacement and wider tracks. Finally, there is the auto vs manual transmission debate but thats mostly a personal preference deal. Welcome to MOC and good luck on the truck and 3400RL.
palebluedot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 04:01 PM   #8
capn chris
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2586
Send a message via AIM to capn chris Send a message via Yahoo to capn chris
Look closely at the diesels. Towing, I get almost 50% REAL mpg better than my gas buds. If you plan to travel, and we have, that adds up pretty fast at today's prices! We did 15k miles to AK and back this summer and averaged 11.5 mpg w/6L PSD. See TV discussions re. 3500 v. 2500. Think above messages are good input re. pin weight.
capn chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 04:06 PM   #9
Bill Hill
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1344
Welcome gardeninggal! Palebluedot said it all. While we currently have the 3/4 ton, our next truck will be a 1 ton to better handle the pin weight.
Bill Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 04:17 PM   #10
Countryfolks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #116
Welcome to the forum. I have, and recommend, a 1 ton diesel dually. They have a much higher payload capacity. Diesels use more oil but don't have points, plugs and plug cables to maintain/replace. They also get decent fuel milage, 9 t0 12+ mpg towing and up to 17-20 mpg empty.

Skip
Countryfolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 04:18 PM   #11
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Another consideration... are you planning on spending more time towing (2 or 3 days in a park, then moving on constantly; OR more time (weeks/months) sitting the 3400 in parks and using the tv more for "daily driving", site seeing, going to the store, visiting, etc WITHOUT hauling the 5ver everywhere you go. The economics are different.
Old 10-18-2005, 04:41 PM   #12
Bill Frisbee
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4493
As you can see from our signature line, we went with the 1-ton Dodge Ram 3500, Cummins turbo diesel, 4X4. We selected the 3500 for the weight carrying capacity and the single rear wheel drive rather than a dually for several reasons: (1) has slightly higher towing capacity, (2) because it is my daily driver and I need to be able to maneuver and park in the city, wanted a short box which was not available in the dually, (3) those who have experience advised me that a dually is more difficult to handle in the snow ... an occupational hazard of living in the Great White North. So far we have been delighted with our choice. Regardless of whether you purchase a dually or SRW, I strongly recommend the 1-ton diesel, whether Ford, GM, or Dodge.

Bill
Bill Frisbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 04:52 PM   #13
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Bill, does your 3500 have a higher bed, due to suspension, than the 2500, and does that cause any clearance problems with the 3400? Oh... also I assume the stiffer susp more than compensates for the 2500 vs 3500 wt diff? One last question... does the 3500 come with the same engine as the 2500 (6.6 TD)? If so, does this mean the 3500 gets lower gas mileage, being heavier with the same engine? Sorry, that was two questions.

I ditto the Great White North theme for daily driving requirements. I live in NW Lower Mich (snowbelt).

Old 10-18-2005, 05:46 PM   #14
RADHAZJOE
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3149
We tow the 3400RL with a 2004 2500 HD Silverado Diesel with the Allison Trans.

It has worked ok so far but in high country it eats fuel like I eat peanut butter, great gobs at a time. That is due as much to thinner air (less O2) as to mountainous terrain. It also must be babied up long grades or the tran overheats so I do not use cruise control on grades.
When I bought the truck, the factory specs for the 2500 and 3500 were identical. No one at the dealer or the factory rep could tell me why they even had two models if the specs were the same. So I went with the cheaper (not $5 but $10K).

I fell also that the chrvy is slightly smaller and less powerful at this point. The dodge seems to be better and of course Ford has the 450 and up which specs really are better.

I believe the 2006 models have better specs for all three major brands.

Thats my 2 cents.
RADHAZJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 06:02 PM   #15
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Thanks, Joe. This is the kind of info I need to chew on.
Old 10-18-2005, 06:11 PM   #16
Bob Pasternak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #800
Send a message via ICQ to Bob Pasternak
Gardeninggal: We have an '05 Dodge, as you can see by my signature. It will pull most anything Keystone makes. In the Dodge line, a 1 ton dually set up the same will only pull 350 lbs. (three hundred fifty) than my 3/4. I see no logical reason to get a more inconvienent truck, doesn't turn as short, won't go through a car wash or bank drive thru, as a dually. If I needed a 1 ton, it would be single rear wheel. Then you can tow 15950 lbs. If there was a feeling of instability, I'd go to "F" "12 ply rated" tires. Just my humble opinion.
Bob Pasternak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 11:28 AM   #17
Bill Frisbee
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4493
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by dsprik

Bill, does your 3500 have a higher bed, due to suspension, than the 2500, and does that cause any clearance problems with the 3400? Oh... also I assume the stiffer susp more than compensates for the 2500 vs 3500 wt diff? One last question... does the 3500 come with the same engine as the 2500 (6.6 TD)? If so, does this mean the 3500 gets lower gas mileage, being heavier with the same engine? Sorry, that was two questions.

I ditto the Great White North theme for daily driving requirements. I live in NW Lower Mich (snowbelt).

I have not done a comparison between the 2500 and 3500 but it does appear that the 3500 rides a bit higher. The obvious suspension difference appears to be the overload leaf in the rear ... which does get used when the 3400 is attached ... but there may be other less obvious differences included in the Heavy Duty Towing Package that is installed on my 3500. I just do not know the details. I have had no clearance problems with either the original Hi-Jacker hitch or the new PullRite Super Glide. There are some models of Ford (I believe i read this on the PullRite web site) where the sides of the pickup are higher than normal and require some "adjustments" ... but the Dodge is no problem, even with the rails for a tonneau cover attached to the sides. And both the truck and the Monty are as close to perfectly level as they can be going down the highway.

The engines on both the '05 and '06 2500s and 3500s are the 5.9L, high-output, Cummins Turbo Diesel. As for mileage, I am getting about 22-23 mpg (US gallons) on the highway without the Monty attached and 15-17 mpg hauling the Monty on interstates and the like. I do not know how that compares with the mileage on a 2500 but suspect there is not a lot of difference. Perhaps someone else can comment further.

Bill
Old 10-19-2005, 11:36 AM   #18
Bill Frisbee
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4493
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Bob Pasternak

If I needed a 1 ton, it would be single rear wheel. Then you can tow 15950 lbs. If there was a feeling of instability, I'd go to "F" "12 ply rated" tires.
Hi, Bob ...

It is my understanding that one has to swap the standard 3.73 gears for 4.11 gears to get the 15,590lb towing capacity. With the 3.73 gears, the max capacity is 13,950lbs. I could be wrong.

Bill
Old 10-20-2005, 06:08 PM   #19
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Get a BIG truck. Then you can pull anything you want. We like our Dodge dually for stability or at least the impression that we're more stable. We can hardly tell the Monty is behind us. There are lots of great trucks out there as long as you get one that will pull and STOP when it needs to.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 03:38 PM   #20
Wagonmaster
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3754
When we got our Montana I when from an f250to a one ton just to have a little more breathing room We plan on going full time after the first of the year sometime..
Wagonmaster is offline   Reply With Quote