Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-10-2005, 07:08 PM   #1
THE BAILEY BEARS
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #300
bearing buddies

Has anyone had experience with Bearing Buddies. I just heard of this device which fits on each hub and more or less continuously keeps the wheel bearings properly lubricated? I understand they have been used for years particularly on boat trailer. The company's web site says you may be able to go 5 year or more without having them repacked.

THE BAILEY BEARS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 03:56 AM   #2
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
I purchased them with my 2000 Montana. I greased them once a year and it was too much grease. The grease got all over the linings.

Dexter does not recommend these things on RVs. They are designed for boat trailers and other things that spend time in water. I had Mor/ryde axles put on my rig in 2003 and they wouldn't put the bearing buddies on my new axles. Dexter says that you must check and regrease the wheel bearings once a year or every 12,000 miles, whichever comes first.

I find that removing the wheels once a year and regreasing is good because it also gives you a chance to check the brake linings.
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 03:58 AM   #3
drhowell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3628
Our 2001 3280RL has the Alko axle with the Ultrlub hubs. Look just like Bearing Buddys. The marine version allows one to purge the water from the bearings by forcing grease in and water out. I don't think brakes are a consideration on most light duty boat trailers.

Montana's brakes are a primary concern and forcing too much grease into the hub will eventually soak the brake shoes and prevent them from working properly. So either the Ultralub or bearing buddys should not be over greased on our units. Usually one or two pumps of grease per year is more than enough.

I repack based upon mileage and time. You should get 20,000 miles or more of highway travel or 5 years without a problem. Especially if you can give them a couple of pumps of grease per year. As always the conditions of use change the time between service. Dust, salt water, snow and ice etc. all shorten the life of the lubrication.
drhowell is offline   Reply With Quote