Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 08-28-2005, 12:21 AM   #1
BillyRay
Montana Master

M.O.C. #607
Locked in bathroom!

well I'm glad I was home at the time when one of the kids was locked in the bathroom! that toilet room is really small to think about being stuck in there for a long time! I heard the door handle attempt to open a few times when I heard the call for help! for what ever reason the cylinder broke and would not release! the latch now acted like a dead bolt and was stuck inside. I tried using a knife and screwdriver like I had a hundred times before, but with no luck. with the small hinges, that wasn't an option either.I was hesitant to force the door because the shower glass is up tight to it. every time I would flex the door, the shower glass would move and make noise.after aprox. 15 mins. of trying, and a brief discussion of sending food under the large opening under the door, she had enough and so did I. well she is out and my door doesn't look the same. I"ll have to see what type of handle I want to put back on, but for now theres nothing!

BillyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 02:54 AM   #2
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
YIKES!!

So, how did you get her out Billy????
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 10:33 AM   #3
campbud
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3142
oh wow yes please tell us!
campbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 12:57 PM   #4
Dawnika
Established Member

M.O.C. #3517
I was surprised when I read your post BillyRay. We have the same year/model Montana as you, and the same thing happened to us on our last trip July 29th. Fortunately, we didn't damage the door. We basically took the door handle apart and pryed the wall away from it. I never thought cardboard walls would come in handy!

We're going to attempt to replace on our next trip this coming weekend with a regular closet door handle we picked up at Lowe's. We don't know if that will fit, but we didn't know what else to try. We'll let you know if it works.
Dawnika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 07:55 AM   #5
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
Did they at least have something to read??
bob n pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 02:40 AM   #6
Just148
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1043
Well, that's two that got stuck in the the Monanta...... Won't mention the first...wasn't me!
Just148 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 03:40 AM   #7
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
More than 2, Fla Native and yours truly were locked IN Montana, but neither of us were locked in the bathroom. Whew.
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 04:01 AM   #8
Montana_70
Montana Master

M.O.C. #70
Oh, My! I will never, never fully close the water closet door again!!

I also got locked in my shower one time. The little latch on the onsite worked its way across the door after I closed it and the little knob inside would not turn. I had to work on it and work on it and just before real panic set in it opened. I took the outside lever off after that.

Lets see, so far we have been locked in our unit, locked in the closet, locked in the shower, and now locked in the bath room. Can anyone think of another potential area to get trapped in? Or have we pretty much covered them all?
Montana_70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 02:40 PM   #9
BillyRay
Montana Master

M.O.C. #607
I forced it open with a screw driver and a knife! used the screw driver to pry it. normally you can pick a lock to get it to release, but seeing that the latch actually broke it didn't work. we tried taking the handle off, but no luck with that either! I too will be looking for another handle...so let me know how you make out with yours!
Old 09-05-2005, 11:38 AM   #10
Dawnika
Established Member

M.O.C. #3517
Hello BillyRay...well, I replaced the bathroom door handle with a standard hall closet or pantry door handle (no lock). It fit just fine, and worked throughout this weekend. Good Luck!
Dawnika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 01:58 AM   #11
BillyRay
Montana Master

M.O.C. #607
thank you! I still haven't replaced it yet. we haven't been back out since!