Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-31-2005, 02:44 PM   #1
RMccord
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3727
Battery Watering System

I just installed by Battery Watering System that I got from CW recently. It installs very easily. I do have a question for those who have this system. The first time you pump up the batteries with distilled water did you have to pump a fair amount. It says to stop when it becomes firm to pump but it took some time to get the fluid to go across to the second battery. Also is the system only let water flow one direction so there is no chance battery acid could flow back out and drip. I would think that would occur only when or if the battery ever boiled over. If that happens then there are bigger problems anyway.

If you have this system let me know your experiences with it.

Thanks

RMccord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 06:56 PM   #2
harleyrider
Montana Master

M.O.C. #627
I do have this system for my two 12 volt batteries.When the cells are full it will not allow more water to be put in.Theirs no risk of a back flush with the battery water.Its only the extra water that is not needed to fill the cells.I love the system.
harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 05:02 AM   #3
BillyRay
Montana Master

M.O.C. #607
I've never even heard of it, so I can't help on this one.
BillyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 09:20 AM   #4
Broome101
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1832
I hope you did it after they were fully charged, if not then you are going to have a major acid boil over when he battery goes on charge.
Broome101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 11:14 AM   #5
harleyrider
Montana Master

M.O.C. #627
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Broome101

I hope you did it after they were fully charged, if not then you are going to have a major acid boil over when he battery goes on charge.
with this system their is NO chance with a boil over.It only fills each cell to the proper level.Theirs no guess work.It will not over fill your battery.
Old 08-01-2005, 12:36 PM   #6
RMccord
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3727
My batteries were fully charged. In fact I don't think the cells even took any water or very little after I installed the system. When I shut it down everything is killed via the master kill switch installed at time of delivery. It even kills the front tongue jack. Nothing gets power once that is switched off. So super little drain between sessions unless I leave it open or it is a long time between tows. So far have towed it about every other weekend. Either for some upgrades, camping, service, to be weighed etc.
Old 08-01-2005, 04:35 PM   #7
Montana_3956
Established Member

M.O.C. #3956
Will someone tell me where I can purchase one and what they cost?

thanks
Montana_3956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 09:08 PM   #8
harleyrider
Montana Master

M.O.C. #627
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by KC4KM

Will someone tell me where I can purchase one and what they cost?

thanks
The only place I have seem them is Camping World.I believe the cost was around 60 bucks.I really like this system.Easy install.And theirs no guess work on filling your battery cells.I have 2 -12 volt batteries.It will work for one also.You just take off your battery caps and replace them with this,and your good to go.
Old 08-02-2005, 02:32 AM   #9
Montana_3956
Established Member

M.O.C. #3956
Harleyrider,
Many thanks for the info. It sounds like something I need. I've got a lot of miles on this old body and I tend to forget things like the battery
Have a nice day
Montana_3956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 05:38 AM   #10
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Could someone either explain a bit more how this works or provide a url for those of us who are auto-battery-fillerupper challenged? I understand it keeps the battery cells full. Does it have a reservoir that needs to be checked periodically? Is it easy to get to that reservoir and see its level? How do you check the battery charge level with this attached? Maybe just remove the new caps like you do the old ones? Does the battery box cover that comes with the Montana still fit? Anything else?

Thanks.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 01:24 AM   #11
harleyrider
Montana Master

M.O.C. #627
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sreigle

Could someone either explain a bit more how this works or provide a url for those of us who are auto-battery-fillerupper challenged? I understand it keeps the battery cells full. Does it have a reservoir that needs to be checked periodically? Is it easy to get to that reservoir and see its level? How do you check the battery charge level with this attached? Maybe just remove the new caps like you do the old ones? Does the battery box cover that comes with the Montana still fit? Anything else?

Thanks.
Hey Steve

Its fairly a simple system.You replace your battery caps with this system.Weather it be 6 volt or 12 volt doesn`t matter,They have kits for either one.On the new caps their are clear plasitc tubes that come out and go to a rubber hand pump-from the pump their is another section of clear tube that will go into your container of distilled water.You pummp the water until you feel you rubber pump becoming hard to squeeze-it puts water in every cell that is low.If one or more of the cells has the right amount of water already in it,it will not allow any more water to be put in that cell.No guess work.It fills to the excat amount every time.Their are valves in each cell that will close up when the right amount of water is in them.will not allow more water in nor will it allow water to come back out.This system should be put on when your batterues are fully charged.If you would need to charge your batteries the cape pop off just like your orginal ones.The battery box cover will no longer be needed.i`am guessing you could probably put in on over this but not really sure about that one Steve.i left mine off.
Old 08-04-2005, 05:35 PM   #12
Montana_738
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #738
This sounds like something I would like to have but, I have a question also. If you can't put these on and still use your battery box that should be vented to the atmosphere what do you do then? My bedroom is right over that compartment where the batteries are, I wouldn't want any fumes comming up through the floor to the bedroom while I was sleeping, or at anytime for that matter. I built my own box to accomidate two batteries, and with the cover on there is not much space in the top. I wonder if you could drill holes in the battery box to put the tubes through to the caps and caulk the holes so the gas can only get out through the vent. I feel like Steve if I could see a picture or something it might help. Do they show a picture of the product on C.W.? It does sound like a neat product though.

Thanks,

Bill
Montana_738 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 12:28 AM   #13
harleyrider
Montana Master

M.O.C. #627
Hey Bill

The caps are not really that much higher then the orginal caps.Maybe a 1/4 of a inch(i`am guessing)I`am fairly sure since you have made your own cover it would probably fit.They do have pictures in Camping World.Also Cabela`s sells the same system for about the same price.I myself haven`t noticed any fumes coming up into the bed room area.That front storage compartment in mine any way is pretty well ventilated.
Old 08-05-2005, 01:15 AM   #14
Montana_2785
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2785
Regarding the fumes, I would be more concerned with the corrosive nature of the fumes than anything else. I would still want to be able to seal up the battery box and vent it properly.

Eric
Montana_2785 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 01:41 AM   #15
Broome101
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1832
Harleyrider,
Don't want to differ with you but these systems are made by Flowrite, I use them everyday of the week. They are designed as you stated to cut off when water level is OK, one issue they take water each time you squeeze the bulb until the cut off is reached by the float value. While traveling down the road you coach will make the battery wiggle and some of the electrolyte will be absorbed into the plate material. Even thought he level is still correct because once a charge is thrown to the battery chemical reaction happens and the acid is pushed back out of the plates. Thus since water is heavier than acid acid is what is pushed out the top. Even with watering systems on they will boil over. The systems have gas ports on them to allow hydrogen gas to expand and exhaust out, well if they have to much fluid in them it comes right out these holes as well. Always Always water after charged fully, really you should not have to worry about it but about 2-3 times per year on these units. Don't want to sound like a know it all but been running my own Industrial Battery business for years and have seen them many times boil over from improper use.
Broome101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 05:31 AM   #16
RMccord
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3727
Broome101

Ok so if it boils over what should I expect and how do I clean it up. Water and baking soda? I am driving 3 hours tonight. Batteries are fully charged although I have system on now as of 7am to start frig chilling so I suspect it will need a 1/2 hour of charge to top off again once on road. If going to boil over I should see that by destination today correct.
I almost wish I hadn't put this system on just another thing to worry about until it is proven.
Old 08-05-2005, 06:31 AM   #17
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
So my question is if you check your batteries every so often, do you really need this system?
Happy trails.............
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 12:54 PM   #18
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Harleyrider, thanks for the explanation.

For those wanting to see a picture, here's the link for the product at CW:
http://www.campingworld.com/browse/p...=4592&src=SRQB

Another question if I may. Do you leave the hose attached all the time and the far end in the bottle all the time? In the picture the bottle is open. Wouldn't the water evaporate out of the bottle? So I'm assuming you do not keep it in the bottle except when refilling the battery, right? If so, it shouldn't be too hard to modify the battery cover to adapt to this filler. Maybe.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 01:57 PM   #19
harleyrider
Montana Master

M.O.C. #627
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sreigle

Harleyrider, thanks for the explanation.

For those wanting to see a picture, here's the link for the product at CW:
http://www.campingworld.com/browse/p...=4592&src=SRQB

Another question if I may. Do you leave the hose attached all the time and the far end in the bottle all the time? In the picture the bottle is open. Wouldn't the water evaporate out of the bottle? So I'm assuming you do not keep it in the bottle except when refilling the battery, right? If so, it shouldn't be too hard to modify the battery cover to adapt to this filler. Maybe.
On the one end of the hose is a cap to close it off.I just have the distilled water in an empty gatarade bottle with the lid on.Take the lid off ,put the hose in and pump away.

And as a side note I so far have had NO boil over with this system.Have had it on my batteries for about 1000 miles worth.
Old 08-14-2005, 11:35 PM   #20
Montana_2785
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2785
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Parrothead

So my question is if you check your batteries every so often, do you really need this system?
Happy trails.............
I think that this is aimed at applications where the battery is in a really tight spot that makes it hard to check them. This way you can make sure the water level is good without pulling the battery out of the tight spot to do so.

Eric
Montana_2785 is offline   Reply With Quote