Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-10-2005, 01:30 PM   #21
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Well I did not think that most Rv'ers prowled the streets , looking for free internet service, perhaps I am mistaken.We were at a motel last week that offered free wifi and when we hooked up I picked up 3 other motels open connection, all nearby and all offering free wifi.We fueled at a flying J and there is a huge sign that says free wifi. We were at several campgrounds this year that said free wifi. Now although they in every case OFFERED free wifi we did not expressly ask anyone if we could use the service, Am I to understand we are in violation of the law and could be incarcerated.We do understand the danger of logging onto a open wifi while prowling strange neighborhoods looking for freebees..however we figure that if we are at a motel/hotel/campground/truckstop even though they SAY it is free we are paying for it somehow so don't feel bad about using it...And any hacker worth the name can can get your ssn and checking account number..no matter where you are using your computer from...and..if we see a Rv prowling the neighborhood we will know what they are up to?????

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 05:25 PM   #22
drifus
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #4711
Send a message via Yahoo to drifus
I will leave the law out of my answer, but for someone how has been doing Internet Security for 6 years I will give you something to think about.

Say you could access a perfectly open access point. You do not know if that someone is using a protocol sniffer or packet analyzer to read your data. Also don't think big here, nevermind the fact your bank communication is SSL (Secured Sockets Layer).

Let's say they're reading your email streams to friends and see that you are going to be gone for a period of time.

Maybe they get the email address to Aunt Sally saying that you will be there in a few days. Then the next day that person with an open network sends aunt Sally an email containing some horrible content.

Trust me I have done it too just want you to be aware anything can happen and you usually do not know who's network you are connecting to.

Anytime you use a computer, like driving a car, THINK.
drifus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 06:57 PM   #23
Ronnelly
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #794
I only use the wi-fi if it is available and the places we stay tell us we can use it. We stayed at a Koa in Kentucky and they had free wi-fi, but you had to to their communications building. It was thru KOa, anyway, once I got on, I use my AOL Broadband to get on line thru the wi-fi. I feel a little safer using it that way. In airports I have found it but not free, they want you to sign in and pay either by the hour, or month.
Ronnelly is offline   Reply With Quote