Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-06-2005, 08:31 AM   #1
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Keystone & FEMA

Got this at our tour Oct 4th. Keystone is NOT dealing with FEMA directly.The Cambridge line is shut down for 6 week while doing a small FEMA order but thats it.Many of their dealers have had their stock of TT depleted by FEMA orders and Keystone is re stocking the dealers.Montana's are coming of the line at 23 per day and will continue to do so. FEMA is not looking for fifth wheels anyhow. FEMA is buying all the TT's they can get their hands on now but as soon as the manufactured housing and park model lines can get going that will drop off.Other manufactures are dealing FEMA orders (mostly low end vendors) and there could be shortages of other brands. If your Montana dealer is talking price increase he has another agenda??? Other words it is business as usual at Keystone..

We will say there is a wild west atmosphere in the Elkhart area with TV's of every shape and size pulling FEMA campers. We were at Exit 92 Elkhart, motel row and every motel was loaded with TV's , spoke to many of them. FEMAs is asking for 200 TT's a day out of the area and are paying 1.06 to 1.12 one way tow which we are told is better than usual. We were awakened at 5Am by the roar of scores of Diesel motors leaving for the plants to pick up...

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 12:22 PM   #2
scrowba
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2570
Hey Richfaa,
If you don't mind me asking... what kind of mileage are you getting with your V10?
scrowba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 02:42 PM   #3
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have been pulling a Terry TT that weighed in at @ 7500LBS and TTs present more drag than a fifth wheel.We only have 4012 miles on the truck and 96 hours on the motor.We average 12.3 12.6 not towing on the interstates and turnpikes, fairly level roads..we have a light foot and do the speed limit.We frequently get in the 13's not towing. We note that the milage is getting better as the truck get hours on the motor.Towing is another story.We got as low as 7MPG on the WVA turnpike and as high as 12.0 on the Indiana turnpike Westbound.The average is a good 10MPG. Don't know what we will get on the 3670RL but will bet it will still average about 10MPG as the fivers are more areo dynamic that the TT's. How are you doing on yours..that would be a good indication on what we may get????
Old 10-10-2005, 11:57 AM   #4
scrowba
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2570
Hey Rich, I forgot which topic to reply to.
Our big trip to Canada was in August and we had around 4,000 miles on the rig. On average I only got around 8 MPG (Ouch) while pulling the 3685FL loaded. I never had any power issues and am very happy with the pull but the milage could have been better. At that time I was only getting around 11.5 MPG not pulling. The good news is that I am now at 8800 miles and my last 2 tanks of gas gave me 14.2 not pulling. It can only go up from here.
scrowba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 01:38 PM   #5
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Karl..that is encouraging and is what other folks have told me about the new V-10's.I only got around 10MPG pulling with my 1/2 ton silverado and if we do that well with the V-10/3670 we will be satisfied. It's not the milage that hurts it's the price of fuel.