Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-05-2005, 04:57 PM   #1
Montana_4342
Established Member

M.O.C. #4342
How Cold Is Too Cold?

We're just getting started with our 5th wheel. We plan to travel to Florida in October/November and perhaps in February. My question is... When returning to the north (Pennsylvania) during the winter, how cold is too cold before we should winterize the trailer? Is there a difference between when the trailer is in use and when it is stored at home?

Montana_4342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 05:05 PM   #2
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
This is my suggestion, when you are returning home once you get below freezing temps I would make sure to have the coach winterized. And while at home, I again suggest making sure you have it winterized during the cold winter months. You do not want anything to crack/expand and break. Hoping CountryGuy will be along soon, if my memory is any good I think they travel south during Jan/Feb and dewinterize the coach the farther south they go.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 01:37 AM   #3
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Morning all, Per the request of Montana Sky, here I am

First, Rudi, welcome to the forum! Hope you enjoy your coach and your time spent in it.

Next, try the search engine here at MOC, it is great, you will find lots of good information. Next, go back to the home page, look down the right side of the page and you will find ARCHIVES, click away and do a search there too.

OK, for winterizing. Yes, winterize.

For the end of September and October and late April and May, we can have the unit with water or without the winterizing pink stuff. We watch the temps at night, if it is gonna be 25 or above then we usually don't worry much. We find here in our home area, that it can drop that low, but it will not stay that low for more than an hour or so and it starts to warm up again. The coach will not freeze in the matter of an hour or so. We all know that if the sun hits Montana it is only a matter of an hour or so before the temp starts to go up. IF we are sitting at home, we won't have water hooked up nor in the storage tanks. IF we are camping, we are running the heat and you won't freeze.

We usually winterize around November 1st. When we leave for Texas or points south, we DO NOT clean and add water. We usually do not run the heat while we are running, old habits and all that rot, something we have not done, so we actually don't even think of that as an option. Many MOC members do run with heat on, and we are contemplating doing so, it is nice to come into Montana at the end of a long days drive and have it warm in here!

We usually drive 2 days, going as far south as we can get. Like Georgia, Arkansas, etc. Our experience is by the time we get that far it is warm enough to put the water in and not worry about freezeups.

On the way home, we try to get home after April 15th, drain the water, but do not winterize. Last year we got 4 inches of snow a week after we got home, Montana was not winterized, the snow melted very fast, my bleeding hearts (a plant in the yard) bloomed the next day and no harm was done.

The trick to this would be for you to be very aware of the weather patterns in your area. If I lived in Northern Michigan, I am sure my dates would be different. It gets very cold up there earlier and they have freezing temps much later.

On the average, we can winterize about one month after the first freeze of the fall and can un-winterize about one month before the last freeze of the year. We are just north of the Ohio/Michigan state borders.

I typed this all before the morning java, so, if you have more questions, please ask. I am not sure this makes sense or maybe it is as clear as mud! HAHA
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 03:16 AM   #4
Montana_4342
Established Member

M.O.C. #4342
Al,
Thanks so much for your thorough response to my question. And so early in the morning...and before your coffee!
I knew about the winterizing, I just wasn't sure about the critical temperatures. The information you gave is very clear and it will help me to make the right decisions about winterizing. This year we will have to return north during the winter for two births in the family. In doing so, I was concerned about running with the heat on and whether or not that would keep the pipes from freezing.
I will research the topic further and get as much information as possible. Thanks again for your help. This forum is a great resource. I've learned so much already that will help me avoid costly mistakes. Enjoy the Java. See you down the road...

Rudi
Montana_4342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 12:59 PM   #5
Northstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1757
The way Keystone is building the new Montanas--they have been tested down to zero degrees. However, as a practical matter you should winterize if you live in the north.
Northstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 07:14 PM   #6
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Northstar,
just curious? When did Keystone start doing that cold of testing on the Montana. I knew that the Cambridge was built for those temps but unaware of the Montana being ready for that. If Keystone is doing that then I better trade in, as that would add almost 3 more months to my boating/lake camping season. =)
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 06:30 AM   #7
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Rudi, there are a couple of schools of thought on this topic and both seem to be successful. So let me add another.

We do just the opposite from you. We leave the Kansas City area in early January, in subfreezing temperatures. Since we fulltime, ours is not winterized when we head out. And we want the comforts of home during our trip south, even while still in freezing weather. All we do is set the furnace on the lowest setting and drive on down the road. We've done this with temperatures in the teens and never had a freezing problem while on the road. I've also not noticed an inordinate amount of propane usage when doing this so imagine the Montana holds the heat reasonably well while on the road.

I'm going to assume that when you reach PA you will store the Montana and not be living in it. If I were doing what you're doing I would run the furnace until the morning of our last day of travel. That morning I would winterize it before hitting the road. Or I'd do it soon as we got home. Up until that last day I'd run the furnace so we have water for our overnight stays on the trip home.

Another option is to go ahead and winterize before leaving the south.

Just some other options. Good question.

Carol, when on the road we set the thermostat at 45, just enough to keep it from freezing. So it isn't all that warm in the Montana when we stop. But I guess starting from 45 is a lot easier than starting from 25. We do shut off the furnace when refueling, though.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 07:32 AM   #8
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
Thank you so very much for this information Steve. Since we do some winter traveling it is good to know. Good idea of turning on furnace low for traveling down the road.
Do you also run the fridge when traveling? I can't get Don to do this and most everyone does this. I keep telling him we could do this and turn it off when refueling. Help me convince him please.
Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 11:09 AM   #9
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Dustyuu

We run the frig!! Always, even in the winter! Like Steve says, turn off before fueling up, turn back on afterwards.

Steve,

I am probably gonna be running with the heat on 45 this year, remember the plants and the plant shelves?? The only way I can figure to get the plants out of this winter stuff (no room in ole GMC, you know those yorks!) will be in the greenhouse (Shower).

The first day out last winter, it was 4 above when we left Tipton, about 2 hours before we were due to stop for the night we turned the heat on to 45. WOWOWOWOWOWOW It was toasty in there compared to what it would have been without the furnace running! It was nice. One of those things we have never done before, so remembering that we can is hard!
Old 09-12-2005, 12:26 PM   #10
Virgil
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1457
Most people here winterize before Oct. 15 and usually are all dewinterized by the first of May. We are in northern North Dakota and I don't think there are many places in the country that get colder than us. Some friends that go south after Christmas usually go hard the first two days, staying in motels and then dewinterize with the furnace at a low setting.
Virgil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 01:10 PM   #11
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Before we became full-timers we winterized by the end of October. We would always go south by mid February and would turn the heat on for a couple of days before while we were putting our things in. The first night we could never get far enough south to camp so we would stay in a motel and turn the heat on so things wouldn't freeze. If it was really cold we would bring a bag or two into the motel. By the second day it was usually warm enough to put water in while we were driving and let it slosh around. When we stopped for the night we filled up, drained, filled, drained until no pink. On the return we drained everything before we got into real cold and made sure we had used up any food that would freeze. Pain in the B---. This year we will be out of here before it gets below 30 degrees.
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 01:32 PM   #12
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
adelmoll,

we stay IN that rig in that cold weather, hard to find places that will let us stay with 4 yorks!

Your 30 degree departure data sounds good tho! HA HA