Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 08-17-2005, 02:00 PM   #1
thook
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3100
Freezing Water Pipes!

I know, silly question for the middle of summer but I am wondering about traveling in the winter. We are going to be traveling from Washington to Arizona in January if the roads will allow. I was wondering if the arctic package on the Montanas works well enough to keep the plumbing from freezing while on the road that time of year. I understand that the water/holding tank heating and I assume the plumbing heating only happens when the propane furnace is in service and the fan is moving warmed air through the duct work. Runnin an electric space heater won't get the heat to the pipes and tanks. Is there a way to run the furnace fan on manual short of rewiring it so electric heat can be used instead of propane while parked?

thook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 02:05 PM   #2
jars
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1529
It,s best to put rv anti freez in and don,t worry about it
Richard Smith
jars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 04:26 PM   #3
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Good question, Tom. I'm from N. Mich and we plan on FTing soon. Have wondered about moving around in northern climes w/o freezing problems. Any suggestions? I don't know about antifreeze... what if going from campsite to campsite? Do I have to reflush the whole system when I reach my next site?
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 04:35 PM   #4
Bill Hill
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1344
If you are travelling during the winter, I don't think it's that much of an issue. You'll be keeping the rig warm enough at night and early morning to be comfortable, so I don't think it will get so cold that you have to worry about pipes freezing. What you can do is set the thermostat for the lowest temperature while driving, usually about 50 deg F, and let it come on if it gets colder than that. You shouldn't have to worry about the batteries going down because you'll be charging as you drive.
Bill Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 04:42 PM   #5
Countryfolks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #116
I believe a lot of that will depend on furnace time off to furnace time on and outside temps. If you use the antifreeze, it will have to be flushed. I use an air compressor and blow out our lines, don't use antifreeze. We don't get the extremes of cold here [AR] but it may work for relatively short times [5/6 hrs or so?]. There have been several threads in the past in which cold weather RVing was discussed but I don't remember many of the details.

Skip
Countryfolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 04:43 PM   #6
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
Tom-
There is an excellent thread previously visited on the subject of traveling with the Montana in colder climates and weather. You can do a search for "Artic Package". The last entry date is March 06, 2005 by sreigle. The thread is six pages long and I think it will provide you with lots of information that you are wanting.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 05:13 PM   #7
Montana_139
Montana Master

M.O.C. #139
Tom & Sherry,

We have spent a month near Breckenridge, CO when the night temperatures got as low as 3°F. The only thing that froze was the low point drains. I purchased a thermostatically controlled heat tape for pipes. I wrapped it around the low point drains and then covered it with insulation. No more porblems.
We heated with a combination of the propane furnace and a ceramic electric heater. I think that if you do not use the propane furnace you will have problems.
Also I found air leaks in the rear of the 5er that I sealed and covered with insulation.

Glenn
Montana_139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 07:12 AM   #8
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Tom & Sherry, we leave the Kansas City area in (usually) subfreezing weather in early January and head south. Since we will stay a night or two in the Montana before getting into warmer weather we just do as Bill Hill suggested and leave the furnace thermostat on its lowest setting. I think that's 45 on our thermostat. We've never had frozen pipes while driving and have not noticed an inordinate amount of propane usage. Some folks don't like the idea of running the furnace on the road so for them I'd suggest blowing out the pipes like Skip suggested. Also, be sure to shut off the furnace before fueling.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 04:07 PM   #9
owenwetzel
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #3344
We had our water lines freeze twice this past winter. Checked with Walnut Ridge in New Castle ,In. They told me to drop under cover. When I did I found the water lines lying on frame with no insullation on them.
I put tube insullation on them and raised them off frame with the same type of holders used for water lines in basement and electric ties. No problems since.
Might check this out if in doubt. Just remove bolts on entrance side and drop the one side. Cold water line runs to lavitory then to shower up and over inside steps to kitchen sink then to hot water heater. when freeze up happened toilet and cold water to lavitory were only ones working.
We have a 3280rl others may be a little different.
owenwetzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005, 07:13 AM   #10
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Owen, I'm planning to do the same to ours before this winter. Our lines are a bit longer, though. The water heater is in the rear curbside corner and the kitchen is at the back. The water pump is midships on the other side, street side, with the lavatory a bit farther forward and on the curbside. So I'll probably have to drop more panels and on both sides but it needs to be done. Thanks for the tip.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote