Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-29-2005, 01:22 PM   #1
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Campground near the Montana Plant

We are going to the Montana plant.Will leave Here (222 mile trip) wed aug Aug 3 for the tour Thursday Aug 4th and also the trailair plant. Will call the plant Monday and warn them that we are coming. We did a tour last July and were impressed but will see things this time from a entirely different prospective. For those of you who have been there can you recommend a nearby campground, full hooks.

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 02:24 PM   #2
DiananColin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #447
Send a message via Yahoo to DiananColin
You probably can not better the park where we had the rally last year = Pla-Mor. Near Napanee, Indiana

Great people!
DiananColin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 02:44 PM   #3
JLBOZ60
Montana Master

M.O.C. #826
Elkhart fairgrounds, in Goshen is where we stayed in April. It is only ten minutes at the most from the factory. It is listed as Elkhart County Fairgrounds, 17746 County RD 34 Goshen, IN. and they do have full hookups
JLBOZ60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 04:18 PM   #4
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
yep, the fairgrounds, although some of the sites are not the flattest in the camping world. Also can highly recommend, Elkhart Campground, just left there today, VERY flat sites, not all are full hookups tho, in fact, most are not, the owners are fab tho! There are several others, a couple have popped up over at Shippshewanna, don't know anything about them, cept they are there.

But the fairgrounds, are surely the closest! they have wifi, if you are willing to pay, something between 5 and 10 per 24 hours.
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 04:22 PM   #5
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Richfaa,
I think for convenience to the plant the Goshen Fairgrounds are great. The RV part of it is great. They just upgraded all the sites...... or at least where we were. The sites are all plenty big. Only thing I had trouble with was the trains! They seemed to come by about every 15 minutes. Took me a whole day to get used to them.

We also really enjoyed the Pla-Mor experience and look forward to returning soon.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 05:19 PM   #6
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Second the Elkhart County Fairgrounds in Goshen. We've stayed there twice. The nice thing is that it's just a couple of miles from the service center. There are trains but what CG's don't have trains? If you get a site on either the NE or NW end of the fairgrounds the trains are not as bad. We were on the NW both times and our sites were pretty close to level. Maybe we got lucky. We had full hookups.

Carol, where is Elkhart Campground? Is that the one on the north side of Elkhart? If so, we stayed there for about 3 weeks. Rich, if you go here be sure you have a good water filter. We had a lot of problems with rust there. Otherwise we liked the park.

Rich, you might call TrailAir and see if they can leave an electrical cord out for you to overnight in their parking lot. Keystone will do that if you are getting work done at their place.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 05:24 PM   #7
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Steve, Elkhart Campground is on CR 4, just east of 19. 19 intersects the I 80/90 there, north side of town.

Yep, ya need a water filter anywhere in that area!!! Rust is bad there.

One more hint, see if you can count the "haulers"! HA HA HA, they are EVERYWHERE! They wave and blink at us all the time when we are driving that "D" truck solo, they think we are haulers too! HA HA

Old 07-30-2005, 02:31 AM   #8
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Thanks for all the information..We also note a KOA in Middlebury about 13 miles from the plant. Helen will veto the Fairground because of the trains.I can just take out the hearing aid. Helen says we have been to Pla-mor..must have been when we were at the plant last year. Your advice means more to us than a picture and PR on the internet. I just checked Quicken we were at Pla-mor last July..As they say the memory goes first..hope it starts from the top and works down.
Old 07-30-2005, 04:56 AM   #9
Sunshine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2018
richfaa, thanks for starting this thread. We leave tomorrow a.m. for Indiana and will try to visit Keystone also, so this information is very helpful. Thank you everyone. I grew up in South Bend and have a reunion to go to and am thinking Elkhart is not really all that far to drive back and forth - 20 miles or so is nothing out here.
Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 05:23 AM   #10
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Sunshine..The tours are tuesdays and Thursdays 2Pm for Montana If you decide to go Thursday let us know, we can meet up. I kind of think we will stay at the KOA in Middlebury.Haven't talked to Helen about where we will stay yet but she prefers KOA's and there is a HUGE flea market nearby..
Old 07-30-2005, 07:12 AM   #11
tollmann
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1824
richfaa,
The memory is the second thing to go. I just can't remember what the first thing was!!
tollmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 12:55 PM   #12
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Rich, the flea market is in Shipshewana and is on Tuesdays and Wednesdays. Over 1100 stalls. It definitely is huge. Wherever you are in the area, Shipshewana is not far.

Tollman, I know there's nothing wrong with my memory. I figure you didn't forget something if you can't remember ever having known it in the first place.
Old 07-31-2005, 02:05 PM   #13
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Steve..we will be there wednesday//Helen would never miss a flea market.. We have one almost as large here it is called Jamies flea market in South Amherst, Ohio. Been to that huge one down around Cincinnati also.We don't miss many flea markets.The truth be known at one time we (Helen) sold Watkins products at our flea market.Set up the Camper and stayed the weekend, however I usually spent more than Helen made.
Old 08-01-2005, 05:37 AM   #14
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Well we are not going anywhere, Just called to confirm, lucky I did, and the tours are NOT Tuesdays and Thursdays they are Tuesdays only.The information I have from keystone says Tuesday and Thursday at 2pm but for some reason I thought I had better call and confirm. Spoke to 2 folks in Customer service that did not have a clue and finally I got transfered to coporate who said..Tuesday 2Pm only.....OH well. Anyhow a friend of ours is picking up his 3670 at Town& country Rv in Clyde, Ohio Thursday.he will be using the PID that I gave him from this forum. Seeing how that works out will be almost as much fun as touring the plant??? I sort of led him to the Montana and that dealership so I hope I don't wind up with mud in my face.Note the 3670 is more camper than the 3295 but best deal you can get the 3670 for a great deal less $ that the 3295 at the same dealership... What think you of that????
Old 08-01-2005, 05:43 AM   #15
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Must have had a recent change in the tour days, Rich, We have always heard Tue and Thur and we have gone on Thurs a few times

as for the 3295 costing more, a popular model????
Old 08-01-2005, 06:11 AM   #16
vickir
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2215
The Cambridge factory tour has taken over the 2pm Thursday time slot.
vickir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 07:05 AM   #17
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Rich, re the deal for the 3295RK vs. the 3670RL, I'm not sure you can equate 19 inches more length in the 3670 (per specs) as being more camper and therefore more expensive. There are many other things to consider. Appointments such as the additional kitchen counter space in the 3295RK, the additional flooring, walls, and ceiling required for the additional 19 inches of the 3670RL, and every other difference that probably offset each other. And then there's the availability factor. Maybe that dealer has more of one model than the other or has a possible deal working on one or the other. Or maybe the dealer had the 3295RK on the lot longer and is facing some financing deadlines that will cost him additional money, or his accounting practices add storage costs/length of storage to a unit's cost. Who knows!
Old 08-01-2005, 09:06 AM   #18
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Yes We understand all that.My thought is that the 3295 is a better seller you know, supply and demand. Actually this dealer can't keep a 3295 or 3670 on the lot.Helen and I will be getting a real good look at the 3670 since the folks that got it live nearby.We still prefer the 3295..it suits our needs best.