Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-28-2005, 01:22 PM   #1
RMccord
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3727
Heat and coming long trip

Hi all:

We leave in one week for a pretty long and much anticipated trip through the southwest and into South Dakota. With the heat wave etc. I have taken the following precautions.
Doran tire monitoring system.
Will be monitoring daily air pressure in tires with system. We have a 335rlbs with 15" load rated D tires. I just had the unit in with a minor brake issue and the dealer checked and found a magnet with a bare wire and then replaced all 4 magnets as couple of others showing similar issue. This with only 400 miles on unit.
I intend to travel between 55-60 mph where possible. Looking to start out early 7-7:30 on the driving days. Many are short 250-300 miles but there are a few at 400-450. We will stop every couple of hours to take a stretch and also give the tires a break.
I hope I am correct that if temperatures in the tires and the road become an issue I would see climbing pressure readings in the tires.
Any additional tips I can take to be safe and trouble free as possible?

RMccord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 04:05 PM   #2
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Bob, you've taken more precautions than most of us do. I think you can relax and enjoy the trip now! Hope you have a great trip!
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 04:17 PM   #3
azstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #740
Hello Bob,

We just got back from a 6000 mi trip, to the East Coast and I too watch my temps on my axles and tires. I use a hand held Pyrometer. You can get these at a lot of different places, like Sears, Radio Shack, etc. I bought mine from www.tooldesk.com

They range in price from about $30 and up. Mine was about $70 with lazer sight. When I take a break I shoot my wheels right between the lug nuts and shoot the Tires on the side wall. You'll be able to establish a base line and then watch for elevated temps. My temps run about 110 deg to 125 deg. I also run my air pressure at 65 psi. on the TT and 65 front and 80 rear psi's on the Truck. Measured cold. There will be as much as 10 deg. higher temp's. "On The Sunny Side Of The Street"

The Pyrometers are great RV'er Tools

Happy Travels
azstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 04:41 PM   #4
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
This is OFF topic a bit, but RMccord, do you know where your unit was manufactured?? Was it in Goshen?? Is there another plant where they build them for delivery to the West Coast?? Your sig line says CA, is that where you bought it??

My point is, after all the questions, if all Montana/Mountaineers are built in Goshen, they have to drag it from there to CA to deliver it to you, when you take delivery you already have a couple of thousand miles on the unit?? and tires??

Am I off base here somehow??
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 04:54 PM   #5
RMccord
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3727
Well I don't know if they build them anywhere else but I would doubt it from what I have heard.
Therefore my rig probably already has 2500 miles on the tires.
Further I wonder how many of our problems are related to the way it was towed to the selling dealership?
We bought it in Bakersfield, CA
RMccord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 05:05 PM   #6
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Well, it would seem that 2500 miles would shake the stuff loose, if it was gonna shake??

I don't know about the drivers. I have seen a lot of them in the last week or so, (we are in Elkhart at the moment) and my observations are, that they are driving reasonable. That said, most of them we have seen were on the highway, or parked.

When they leave the plant, the chairs and stuff are all tied down, aren't they?? There is a Cedar Creek sitting near us in this campground, brought in by a hauler, he obviously will be leaving here early tomorrow AM. He is NOT staying in the unit, it is just parked here, it sure looks like the furniture is covered, stuff like that.

Sure would be interesting to run with a hauler on a trip or two, see what really is involved in the delivery of a unit!
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 05:06 PM   #7
patodonn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #331
I'm going from Florida to S. Calif in the next two weeks. If the air temperatures are above 90 degrees, I'll stop every approx. every 2 hours for tire cooling. I'm going to transit the hot part of NW Arizona (Flagstaff to the Kingman area) from 0500 to about 1000, then "hole up" for the day. Same schedule for crossing the Mojave desert into the LA Basin.

Absolutely agree with Steve. We got an "IR Thermometer" at Radio Shack and use it at every rest stop. Takes about 2 min to check all truck and RV tire temperatures. Truck steering tires will run a bit cooler than the drive tires. The RV tires and truck drive tires seem about the same most of the time. Expect to see about 10-15 degrees more temp on the "sunny side" of the truck and RV.

What you are watching for is a tire with a significantly greater temp than its "mate". If that is seen, the next step is to check the tire pressure. Best to check the other tire(s) also for "hot" temp comparison purposes. Better would be to let them cool, then check the pressures. We have not, however, had to do any of that....the temps are always real close together. Highest I've ever seen is about 130.
patodonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 07:11 PM   #8
jpkelpe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2780
I talked to a hauler at a rest stop one day--he was pulling a Forest River that day-told me he likes to take the biggest ones the best-he said they pull best. told me that sometimes the units are completely sealed so he can't get into them and sometimes they allow them to sleep in them. I see a lot of them on I80 and they are all going about 65 miles/hour when towing.
jpkelpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 11:15 PM   #9
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Bob,
Sounds like you've got a great trip lined up. Enjoy your trip. You've taken plenty of precautions..... now enjoy. If something does happen out on the road... you can handle it. There are a lot of "helpers" out there. RVers are some of the nicest folks in the world and will help in any way they can. It is amazing and it helps curb my growing cynicism. We have taken parts of your trip and plan to go back someday and enjoy some more of that area.

ENJOY your trip.

Dennis and Mary Kay
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 02:39 AM   #10
NJ Hillbilly
Montana Master

M.O.C. #242
My parents are on the way back from the west. They said that when the temps were high (the past few weeks) they hit the road by 5 am and were at their destination by noon at the latest. It's better to travel when cool and warming up then to travel late and into the night. If You get in any trouble You have the remainder of the day to sort things out.

Good Luck and Be safe and above all....Have Fun. It's not always the destination but getting there that's the most fun.

John
NJ Hillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 04:22 AM   #11
Montana_2785
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2785
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by NJ Hillbilly

My parents are on the way back from the west. They said that when the temps were high (the past few weeks) they hit the road by 5 am and were at their destination by noon at the latest. It's better to travel when cool and warming up then to travel late and into the night. [...]
I would subscribe to this idea more than letting the tires "cool now and then". Also, If it is really hot out, you need to travel slower to prevent the heat buildup to begin with. If you can find the specifications for your tires, you will find that most of them are rated with a maximum of 55-65mph. That is because faster than that and the internal heat buildup begins to be an issue. In really hot weather, it wouldn't hurt to "derate" the speed rating to make up for the fact that the tire can't loose heat to the air as well.

RE: wheel teperatures, I've seen 135-140 if I've been in stop & go traffic and using the brakes alot.

Had a sticking brake that was dragging when I left a stop light. By the time I could stop and investigate, that wheel was up to 170 degrees and you could SMELL the brakes from 15-20 feet away Adjusting the brake didn't do any good so the only thing I could do was to cut the wire to that particular magnet. Ticked me off since I had just had a brake job done

Eric
Montana_2785 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 05:56 PM   #12
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Eric, we had the no release from a stop problem on a prior FW. The magnets on one axle were worn so far the brake shoes would get past the cam point and not return on their own spring pressure. You might check the magnets on yours.
Old 07-30-2005, 12:46 AM   #13
Montana_2785
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2785
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sreigle

Eric, we had the no release from a stop problem on a prior FW. The magnets on one axle were worn so far the brake shoes would get past the cam point and not return on their own spring pressure. You might check the magnets on yours.
Steve, I had every part of the brakes except the drums replaced just before this started happening....

Eric
Montana_2785 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 03:34 AM   #14
trukdoc
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2220
Send a message via MSN to trukdoc
Having a stetch as a Fleet Manager, I learned a bit about tires. Load range is a misleading rating. Load range "D" at what temperature, speed, and wear rating? Except for quite expensive tires you rarely can find all 3 ratings "A". Load range "D" for our trailers is by my thoughts quite acceptable. I look for "A" ratings on speed and temp and a "B" for treadwear. This information is the small print on the sidewall of the tire. Usually hard to read. Lightly rub print with chalk and that helps.
The IR thermometer is invaluable for watching bearings and tires for trouble. If a tire is starting to seperate it will run noticeably warmer with the IR meter. Long before a visible problem shows.
The tire moniters can scare you, pressures will go up significantly as you run. Especially in the heat of day. As mentioned the "Sunny" side will run higher due to extra heat.
Do not exceed the max pressure as posted on the tire. With the addition of the IR meter you have the tools to "Tune" the pressure of your tires. Experiment with different pressures to find the best of Ride, Fuel miledge, Tire temp.
Sounds like you have made more that enough precations for a safe trip. Just do not go into information overload and be in a mild panic your whole trip.
HAVE FUN!!!
trukdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 01:14 PM   #15
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Rick, I've seen the temp/speed/wear ratings on tires before but cannot find that info on the BF Goodrich Rugged Trail T/A tires on our truck. I just went out and looked. Isn't it law that it be posted there? I looked three times but must somehow be missing it.
Old 07-31-2005, 02:27 PM   #16
trukdoc
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2220
Send a message via MSN to trukdoc
It is my understanding it must be labled. Sometimes it is right up to the bead and hard to see.
trukdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 03:37 PM   #17
Bill Hill
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1344
Bob,
One more thing: to the best of my knowledge, the Doran Pressure Monitor will only sound the alarm when the tire pressure drops, at least that's been our experience. I don't have the IR thermometer, but it sounds like a good idea.
Bill Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 03:43 PM   #18
MIMF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2827
Bob,

One thing is for sure. At the speed you plan to travel in the heat, you won't have to worry about over-heating that Max-n-Allie. I know that from experience. At 60 mph with my 14,000 Challenger, once you're up to cruising speed that thing is barely turning any RPM's. Especially if you are not using the tow/haul mode. Even then, after you do get the ground speed set, she will shift into over-drive and stay there until that smart tranny detects something different.
MIMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 04:50 PM   #19
Montana_2957
Established Member

M.O.C. #2957
RMccord, On recent trip wife and I went 900 miles non-stop, although I don't recommend travel like this, we had no problems. The trailer weight 9200#, drove 65-70 mph and closely monitored tire pressure - frequently while moving. The pressures on all tires very quiokly went up about 10# and consistently remained at that level in the heat of day and the cool of the evening. I run with 55# front truck tires, 65 rear truck and all trailer tires when cold, and when running would see about 62# front truck tires and all the remainder would be about 75-76#. The consistency of tire pressures was quite reassuring. Have a great trip.
Montana_2957 is offline   Reply With Quote