Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-12-2005, 04:57 PM   #1
RKassl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3699
Black Tank Flushing

Thanks for the info in my last post, but nobody talked about how and when to use the black tank flush. There is a connection on the outside for a hose that must somehow sprays or flushes out the black tank. Do you think after the tanks sequence has occurred and the black tank valve is open you connect to the flusher and cycle water to clean the black tank?

RKassl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 05:19 PM   #2
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
I dump the black tank and start the black tank flush. I will close the vent for about 2 minuets at a time and flush until I see the water become clear (I have a clear elbow on the end of the drain). I flush about 3-4 times and then empty both the grey tank and the galley tank, then flush the hose with water for another 5 or so minuets. The whole process takes me about 30 minuets but I am happy to spend that time knowing that I have thourghly flushed the lines out.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 05:39 PM   #3
faeb and genb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #57
I am like Doug I use it every time I flush tank. Works great.
faeb and genb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 05:49 PM   #4
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I also dump the black tank and follow it with a black tank flush from the outside. I let that run for approx. 5 mins and then close the black tank valve and let the tank fill 1/4 full and then again open the drain. I also have the clear elbow on and continue to flush the tank until all the water coming out is clear. Then open the galley & grey drains and empty.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 02:18 AM   #5
BillyRay
Montana Master

M.O.C. #607
I use the sewer flusher every time. it may be over kill, but it's not like it takes long. make sure you don't turn the water on to the flusher until the black tank valve is open, otherwise you could overflow your tank...and you don't want that mess.

also get in the habbit of disconnecting the hose EVERY TIME! it only takes a second. too many times have I heard of people leaving it connected and accidently the water gets turned on and what a mess!
BillyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 04:01 AM   #6
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I don't flush it every time because that would mean I'd be flushing it each and every week of the year. I use the black tank flush about 3, maybe 4, times per year. I also use it if for some reason I need to dump the black tank and don't have much accumulated gray water to help flush things out. Then I'll use the black flush to finish emptying the solids out of the black tank.

The sticker by the flush valve says to make sure the dump valve is open. Well, like others, I tend to close the valve for a couple of minutes, open it, close it again when the water flow drops, open it, and continue that until I'm getting clear water. I use a clear connector at the dump pipe so I can see when the water is clear. Pretty much like most everyone else does it.

Flushing it every time is certainly a good practice but in our situation I don't find it too practical for us. When we were weekenders, we often had no sewer at the site and used a communal dump station in the rv park. Rarely would we have the opportunity to spend that much time flushing the system without holding up others waiting to use the dump station. So, I think your particular situation plays a role in how often you flush the tank. This is just my opinion, not necessarily the best way.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 05:46 AM   #7
BillyRay
Montana Master

M.O.C. #607
i guess it's a little different depending upon the given situation. it makes sence what steve said about how long it would take at a dump station....as I haven't used one in a couple of years now. most places we go tend to have full hook ups. and if by chance we have stayed somewhere that didn't it was only overnight and we dumped at the next stop.
BillyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 07:08 AM   #8
Bob & Lee
Montana Master

M.O.C. #718
I leave open the Galley and Gray Black closed. Then when the black is full I close the Galley and Gray and open the black and walk over and turn on the flush and run it till the black is empty and clean I then leave the galley and gray closed (so I leave them all closed) till the black is full again and then open the black and flush till empty and clean, I open the gray and galley and leave them open till the next time, so I rotate every other time, We are full time in a park so I do this every 7-10 days.
Bob & Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 07:23 AM   #9
Montana_738
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #738
RKassl
I flush everytime we dump, you can't overkill with that. It really doesn't take that long to do.
Like the other's mentioned a clear or transparent conector really helps, you can see when it's clean. This might sound discusting to some but we have grandkids that stay with us once in awhile. Kids tend to put a half a roll of TP down the toilet each time they go. We ask them to put the TP in the waste container. When their through we take the container to the waste bin.
The kids are really cooperative which really helps.

Bill
Montana_738 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 07:55 AM   #10
Chester
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #908
I also flush the blank tank evry time I dump it.
Chester is offline   Reply With Quote