Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-23-2005, 06:08 AM   #1
alanzuck
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #871
Furnace problem

After not using Monty all winter, I could not get the furnace to turn on. I filled up both propane tanks, but the furnace would not ignite.

I heard the furnace working, but there was no hot air, only cold air. After about 5 minutes, the furnace shut off by itself.

Is there anything I have to do besides turning on the furnace and turning up the thermostat?

alanzuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 07:05 AM   #2
carlson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3268
Had the same problem with our unit when it was new.
They replace the control board on the furance and everything works good now.
carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 07:10 AM   #3
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
If you have a air compressor you can blow out the furnace as bugs tend to nest there and stop the flow of the gas. Be sure that the thermostat is set to heat, light the stove to get the gas flowing, then try the furnace. After that you may have to have it checked by a technician.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 07:55 AM   #4
CRUZIN 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3160
alanzuck

I agree with DHenry on his reply try his suggestions first. Happy Camping Larry & LaVonne
Old 04-23-2005, 04:48 PM   #5
Montana_1240
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1240
Alan,

I'm not sure if you have the same furnace in yours, that we have in ours. Our '05 has the "inside-outside" exhaust-intake" on it. (The "screen" on the outside of the furnace is almost square.

Our '04 had the two separate pipes. Exhaust on top, and intake below it. The "screen" on the outside of the rig was a very pronounced rectangle.

The new furnace had the same problem, though from the first day we had temps below 40 at night. Turns out there is supposed to be a piece of packing, or a bushing, between the inside exhaust pipe, and outside intake pipe. It wasn't in the rig when we bought it.

When the dealer finally replaced the furnace, and was installing it in my rig, they noted the missing bushing, and told me about it.

It must have been just loose enough when cold that the intake was sensing exhaust gas when the furnace would light for a few seconds, and then turn off after trying a few more times.

It's a dealer thing, either way, of course. And if it's a control board, (which they replaced in mine to no avail, as soon as I had a 40 degree night,) the dealer will have to do that. And they’d have to do the bushing, of that's missing. But only if you have the same squarish "screen" on the side of your rig.

When it's solved, let us know.

Steve
Montana_1240 is offline   Reply With Quote