Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 04-16-2015, 05:18 AM   #21
egregg57
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #15998
Send a message via Yahoo to egregg57
We also have a system. My wife and I understand each other. We will use radios or cell phones. We have had people jump in and try to help and I will stop moving until Tina has asked them to let us handle it. One incident involved a guy we refer to as "Cyclops" jumping in and starting to direct me. It was about 9pm, dark, and he was wearing a head lamp that would substitute for a search light. It of course blinded me as he looked towards my mirrors. He didn't take the initial hint (me ceasing to move) so I loudly announced over the radio to the individual to shut off his head lamp and get out from behind my trailer. He did and we finished backing in with no issue.

My wife is VERY good at getting me backed into sites. She has backed me into a site at night, me blind to the site, at a 90 degree angle to the road. We had no less than 10 workcampers standing in a group watching as she fluidly got me in and centered in the site. There were cars on either side of the road and trees as well. I couldn't see a thing behind me. We got a round of applause. I was so proud of her.

And yes there have been those "Guys" that see my wife directing me and have rushed over. They learn quickly that she knows exactly what she is doing.

We have had several people on other forums that were first time owners. We helped with the PDI's, WDH adjustment, brake controller adjustment, and maneuvering. There is a lightly used Park and Ride not too far from several local RV dealers. Using the parking lanes, lines etc, we will use that parking lot to simulate backing into sites and lining up on pull-thru's, and getting the feeling for moving around. Cones simulate obstacles that need to be avoided such as trees, curbs, etc.

Tina helps with directing and hand signals, and I help in the cab with backing and lining up. We have had fun doing this and when we're done everyone is feeling pretty comfortable and a bit more confident.

I have been at the campground when the newbie is trying to get set up too, and have had to jump in when a collision was imminent to stop them. I mean, it's the right thing to do. Afterwards I have then asked if they wanted help, or if they needed an extra spotter. They lead, period. I will NOT take over directing because then I am responsible and I am getting in the way of the system that they have to develop on their own, UNLESS they ask for help.

My wife has done the same and she has talked to the person directing, many times a DW. She has even given them our radios to help. But she will not take over either.

We gauge what we do (in the way of helping) exactly as some of the rest of you have mentioned. That being said, if they are going to meet up with a tree or otherwise damage their unit, I am going to say something. I would be pretty upset if someone watched me hit something and knew it was coming but chose to say nothing.

Knock on wood, this is our 5th RV and we have not, as of yet, struck anything..... came real close a couple of times!... but no BANG yet!

egregg57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 04:07 AM   #22
kylec2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10688
Like some others, when someone tries to help I am polite and simply follow my wife's directions; she is my guide and she is the one I follow. My wife and I have discussed this in advance so she knows she is the guide I am following.
kylec2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 05:05 AM   #23
Steve and Susie
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12618
After 7 years on the road with a 225 foot long 19 axle super semi, driver in front and back both, I am very familiar with my whole rig and where everything is at and once I start my setting up its pretty apparent to anyone watching. But I do know and respect that not everyone had that type experience so try to be nice, but at our campground almost every Friday I get a call from the office, could you go to lot ??? and back the unit in for them. I have even given some driving (backing) lessons to people who really want to learn and are new to the program. All in all, its a fun day at the campground, so no complaints. Happy Trails, Steve and Susie
Steve and Susie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 03:28 PM   #24
ole dude
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7128
When we first stated this camping stuff, my wife's observation was the women got out and stood there with their hands on their hips and the guy's did the parking. Once she mentioned this I started seeing the same thing. No disrespect meant for anyone here. I normally try not to bother anything that ain't botherin me none.
ole dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 07:59 PM   #25
Willy Bee
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #15919
I will only help people if asked too help. I am like you I don't need help unless i am backing up blind and then I let the person helping what I what them to do. Truck driver for along time so I think I know what I am doing.
Willy Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 09:02 AM   #26
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I need help all the time, I can not see every part of the Montana. Remember from my CDl class and my Bus driving classes that 65 % off all accidents occur when backing. We by choice do not back much except into our driveway at home. We attempt to avoid backing any time we can. Been driving these things, busses and trucks for over 40 years and I gladly accept help.. from Helen...
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote