Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 10-11-2013, 06:16 PM   #1
2BsRetired
Established Member

M.O.C. #11106
Send a message via Yahoo to 2BsRetired
Water leaks

I have had a leak twice now in the bedroom slide both sides. I think it is coming in around the windows and then down the inside of the wall and then out on to the carpet. Has anyone had this problem. 2010 285 mountaineer

2BsRetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 02:51 AM   #2
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
You'll find many posts on this topic and several possibilities on what it might be. After help from several on the forum and even parts from one great member I finally found ours was caused by the lower trim piece (about four inches long going clear across the face of the slide). It didn't look loose, but after I caulked it, no more leaks.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 03:38 AM   #3
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
A leak in that area could also be attributed to blocked weep holes if your windows have them. Look at the bottom middle of the window framing and there should be an elongated hole that allows drainage. They obviously should not be blocked. Just a thought.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 08:12 AM   #4
Blk_Adventurer
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #12203
Check for some flexible water or drain lines from your washer machine. Keystone run them under bed in the slides to connect to the pipes in your basement. Don't ask me how I know. Good Luck.
Blk_Adventurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 05:53 PM   #5
2BsRetired
Established Member

M.O.C. #11106
Send a message via Yahoo to 2BsRetired
Thanks all I will have a look at it tomorrow
2BsRetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 01:53 AM   #6
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
I'd bet on the moulding along the outside bottom of the slide as Dick advised. It has been a common problem.
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 09:37 AM   #7
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
Had the same problem when I first bought mine and it took a little time to find the problem, turned out at the factory they missed caulking a little spot on the bottom of the front cap and it ran into the bedroom, sealed that and problem solved
Old 10-22-2013, 11:42 AM   #8
sgtpp214
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1782
Had the same problem and on Dick's recommendation caulked the 4 inch trim and the leak disappeared. Thanks Dick.
sgtpp214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 02:28 PM   #9
brooksider
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9963
Well I was doing the cleaning to prepare for winter storage and discovered that the carpet in the bedroom slide was wet. further investigation revealed that not only was the carpet wet but there was mold growing. pulled the carpet back and found the floor of the slide was rotten. Removed the bed completely and found the complete floor was rotten for about 6" in from the walls on the three sides. Out side I removed the screws from the end caps on the bottom of the long part of the slide (The one that Dick referred to)they fell off. Removed the screws from the long moulding and yes it fell off. The caulking that is at the top did not adhere to the moulding (and it looked good). Well what to do? This was the spot the that the leak was at. The water sat in the bottom of the moulding and wicked into the plywood floor as well up the side wall. Well only one thing to do and that was to replace the floor. Braced the slide, removed the bolts for the hydraulic slide, removed the screws from the under side of the floor and pulled out the rotten floor. Trip to the building supply store , a new piece of 3/4 plywood, cut to size, fiber glassed resin the edges of the plywood and slid it into place, re attached the slide hardware and called it a day. Have to go out of town tomorrow but will be back at it on Thursday and finish it up. This is all because there was such poor workman ship and no accountability for the poor work. I did take some pictures and will try and post when I finish the job. I dare say that this leaked from day one for the floor to be that rotten. I would advise those that had a leak check further.
Joe
brooksider is offline   Reply With Quote