Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Long Timers
Click Here to Login

Old 11-23-2008, 02:17 AM   #1
garyka
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3662
Thermo switch

I'm leaving buffalo,NY next month to snowbird and I heard there is a switch you can set at a certain temperature and it will turn on a light.Last year I had my furnace quit and fortunately it was caught in time by accident and repaired while I was snow-birding.
Can anyone direct me in a direction or the name of such a switch as to where to buy this switch,I've been to Value and Lowe's and they don't have this.

garyka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 02:47 AM   #2
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
I seem to remember seeing such devices at Harbor Freight. Don't know if they even have such stores back your way. You might try Lee Valley. They are located somewhere in the east. Both outfits have a good web setup.

Good luck.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 03:03 AM   #3
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Have no idea, but, unless you have hot water heat, is it possible to winterize your home the way we do our RV's??

We do, drain all water lines, turn off pump, drain hot water heater. Run RV antifreeze to the clothes and dish washers (hit the spin cycle for a half a minute, give or take). Also RV antifreeze down all drains and in toilet bowls and tanks.

That way, IF the heat goes out, at least you won't have thousands of dollars of damage due to broken water pipes.

Good luck. And have fun in the warmer climes.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 03:10 AM   #4
jpbcny
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4571
Honeywell Winter Watchman Low-Temperature Freeze Warning

Honeywell CW200A1032 Winter Watchman Low-Temperature Freeze Warning. Winter Watchman helps prevent damage from cold or freezing temperatures by signaling neighbors that your heat is off. Simply plug the alarm into an electrical outlet located on an inside wall and plug a lamp into the alarm. Set temperature dial 10 degrees below your thermostat setting. When the room temperature drops below the alarm "set-point", the lamp will light to warn your watchful neighbors to investigate. For incandescent use only. 120W/120V maximum. UL listed.

JP
jpbcny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 03:11 AM   #5
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
A "freeze guard" for a swimming pool is like a timer, but for temperature settings. When the outside temp approaches freezing (whatever temp you set it for), it will turn on the pool pump. Perhaps something like that?
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 03:54 AM   #6
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by garyka

I'm leaving buffalo,NY next month to snowbird and I heard there is a switch you can set at a certain temperature and it will turn on a light.Last year I had my furnace quit and fortunately it was caught in time by accident and repaired while I was snow-birding.
Can anyone direct me in a direction or the name of such a switch as to where to buy this switch,I've been to Value and Lowe's and they don't have this.
If you feel like taking a trip across the river, you could check this one out (or maybe you can find it at Ace or somewhere like that. Freeze alarm
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 04:51 AM   #7
ehmcfarl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8206
There is even a sensor that you hook to a telephone line and when you dial it up it will tell you the temperature. Some of these units will even dial a predetermined number(s) when a set temperature is reached. I used these in computer rooms in the past to warn of over temperature events. Here is a link to one such device: http://www.omega.com/ppt/pptsc.asp?ref=OMA-VM500-3HT
ehmcfarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 05:30 AM   #8
capn chris
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2586
Send a message via AIM to capn chris Send a message via Yahoo to capn chris
Orv (ols1932) posted that he has a temperature dependent switch that turns on his water hose heat tape when it gets cold. Same would work for you?! Maybe he'll stop by, or you can send him a message. You can find his profile/page on the "Members" link.
capn chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 06:17 AM   #9
garyka
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3662
That Honeywell CW200A1032 Winter Watchman Low-Temperature Freeze Warning is exactly what I was looking for.I just ordered it for just under $35.00 with shipping.Once again this forum comes through.Thanks you
garyka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 06:44 AM   #10
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I bought some at a hardware store, it looks like a 'multiplier' plug, it has two outlets and a single male plug prong. I use them for my outside shop/garage to turn on heat strips for batteries and a small light for my alarm key-pad. Sounds like what you need. It is pre-set at around 35 degrees, plus or minus 2 degrees.
The Honeywell ones are nice as well, but about 25 times more expensive, it just depends on what you want to control.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 08:01 AM   #11
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by garyka

You know, this would make a nice little DIY project. You could use an electric heating thermostat wired to a plug that you could plug into a wall receptacle, and feed the output to a bulb holder that would turn a lamp on when the temp dropped below the set point.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 10:07 AM   #12
ehmcfarl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8206
This one is a lot less than the first one I found above.
http://www.amazon.com/Reliance-Contr...CGQQD9D5D920YS
ehmcfarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 04:17 AM   #13
Scottyscott
Established Member

M.O.C. #8683
I have found a switch I think what you are looking for. It is at Lowes back in plumbing with the heat tapes. The brand is called EasyHeat. It plugs in to the electrical outlet and has a place to plug in a lamp or other 110 volt device. It is yellow. Hope this helps!
Scottyscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 05:02 AM   #14
jpbcny
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4571
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Scottyscott

I have found a switch I think what you are looking for. It is at Lowes back in plumbing with the heat tapes. The brand is called EasyHeat. It plugs in to the electrical outlet and has a place to plug in a lamp or other 110 volt device. It is yellow. Hope this helps!
I believe this is what Scottyscott is describing:

Easy Heat EH-38 15-Amp 120-Volt Freeze Free Preset Thermostat

jpbcny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 10:40 AM   #15
Scottyscott
Established Member

M.O.C. #8683
That is it!! I have it in my front compartment conected to a 100 w light to keep my car care things and what nots from freezing.
Scottyscott is offline   Reply With Quote