Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-13-2006, 07:54 AM   #21
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The biggest drawback for the plazma Tv is that it is affected by cold and it can freeze. For that reason I don't think it will be OEM in campers...Option/special order maybe.. It would be great in Az but not in Northern. Ohio year round.

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 08:09 AM   #22
SKOOBDO
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5293
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Bowie

Very nice addition of more storage behind the TV. Did they move the wall lamp that was there to somewhere else or delete it? If they deleted it would this leave us with bullet light or house style light above the desk for illumination? An important question for those who really need a well lit desk area. Thanks.
It looks like that side house style light is deleted. I use mine all the time while paying bills, updating my calendar and utilizing my computer. I don't particulary like the standard overhead light...it's TOO bright. Those of you that have both, try using one and then the other, and you will probably agree that the side mounted house style light has a warmer feeling about it. I'm glad I have one!
SKOOBDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 12:07 PM   #23
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Dave
Heaven - yes. Broke - yes. We like to watch TV in bed and I'm concerned the TV won't be high enough if mounted on the dresser. What do you think?
Happy trails..................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 12:29 PM   #24
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Sue,
Depends on which brand you go with. There are a few of them out there that have a taller stand then others. Double check the Sony and Phillips tv's, I think those are the 2 that I noticed. Plus that would give you a good reason to go to Best Buy or Fry's. =) Or you could go with a 15" - 20" LCD in the top cabinet and forget my other idea all together. =) Oh the options are endless...
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 01:36 PM   #25
rickfox
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2959
It would be nice for the Montana to start sporting a 27" to 30+" LCD TV. I'm guessing they are currently paying under $200 for the current CRT based 27" TV. They would probably be paying at least 3 times that price for the LCD. If they start doing this, I'm also assuming we would be paying for it.

By the way, in installing my outside FM antenna (on the outside wall behind the TV), I noticed there was a fair amount of room behind the current TV installation since the TV itself is triangluar in shape.

I wonder how this will all turn out.
rickfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 02:09 PM   #26
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Rick,

I believe the new TV is a 27" LCD. I'm just happy they put a 19" in the bedroom, which is one TV more than our 2003 had in the bedroom.

I guess I never really complained about the off brands in the RV, as I wouldn't want to pay a premium price for the RV based on some designers idea of what top end is. The high tech stuff is almost as debatable as our Tow Vehicles and they could never please everybody. As it is now, if you want to upgrade, no big loss in expense to take out the OEM stuff and put in your pleasure. I personally have only added the cheapest audio visual equipment to mine, as I know there is always a chance of it getting ripped off, and I certainly don't want to subject my pride and joy equipment to being bounced around, frozen, superheated, covered in dust, eaten by mice, or other general abuses they are subject to in the RV. My cheap stuff has always worked and I know in my mind it sure beats sleeping in a tent.

blah-blah-blah - OK I'm done .
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 02:53 PM   #27
rickfox
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2959
Are there other 5th wheels that are now using LCD's? I know they see frequent use in Class A's. I wonder how well they will stand up to the bouncing around. I have gone down the hiway a few times in the back of a 5vr, and was surprised at how bad the ride was.

On the size and weight side, it sure makes sense to go the LCD route.
rickfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 02:55 PM   #28
daneboy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4854
Brad,
Congrats, what fun getting a nice new Montana, When do you pick it up? The flat screen should be super.
Jerry
daneboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 03:08 PM   #29
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Thanks Jerry,

Delivery is mid December or first part of January. Although the plant is slow, they get 2-weeks off for Christmas so it could get pushed into January. We'll get a call when its on the road then wait a week for Dealer prep. We told them we are in no hurry, as it will sit in storage anyway. It really hurt to tell them that! as I'm pretty excited .

Rick,

We looked at a few different 5ers just for fun. A few had flat panels already, so we knew it was only a matter of time before Keystone offered one. Time will tell on the wear and tear, but I assume they would take the ride better than the standard CRT type.
Old 11-13-2006, 05:55 PM   #30
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Rick,
Royals International, Holiday Rambler Presidential, Teton Homes, Cedar Creek Daydreamer, Elite Suite by Double Tree, Landmark by Heartland, are just a few coaches who are using LCD TV's. I have another list for Class A and Bus Conversion's that are also using them.
Old 11-14-2006, 01:18 AM   #31
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Graphicqueen did an excellent job on the plasma vs LCD TVs. As a footnote, I would add that the LCDs are beginning a technology transition/evolution. The delay - I call it "Fairy dust" - as a quick movement (that the camera can't, or doesn't follow) that a football player makes, for instance, is getting ready to change.

Manufacturers are starting to replace the florescent light source with LED light sources in higher end LCDs. Advantages are: sharp, crisp images (reduces the image "fuzz") and a fraction of the energy use for power. Disadvantage - as with any new technology - cost. However - also with any new technology - this cost is coming down.

As Dave mentioned, these high end campers have LCDs. However, they all have the high end LCDs. It was explained to us at the factory that LCDs are not being put in Montanas earlier, due to the fact that the lower end LCDs' soldering joints don't hold up to the rigors of RV use/travel, and boosting the wholesale/retail cost of a Montana by a $1,000, by adding high end LCDs that would hold up, was not an option. It's easier to absorb that kind of cost in a $200K-$500K RV. Also, someone on here mentioned a few months ago that Keystone still had a warehouse full of Zenith TVs at that time.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 01:53 AM   #32
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
Is it common practice to give up your trade-in so early while your new Montana is being built?
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 02:06 AM   #33
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Depends..We sold our previous camper outright and got a few more bucks for it. Also we sold it at the end of the camper season. Sold the camper in September. ordered in Feb, got it first week of May. We live in Northern, Ohio.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 04:29 AM   #34
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Van Man - I would say no, it isn't normal to give up the trade to a Dealer before delivery of the new one. However, in this case they had an anxious buyer list for that model and it ended up sweetening the deal if I was willing to do it. It was sitting in storage anyway.

Brad
Old 11-14-2006, 09:59 AM   #35
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I did the same thing on my deal. Traded my 315RLS Mountaineer for my 3400RL. I brought my 315RLS to the dealership the following week after my order was placed. It was just sitting in the garage for winter. The dealership had it sold the next day, actually worked out great for me. Saved me from making the payment on the Mountaineer for 3 months while my 3400RL was being built. I just added that additional $$ to the down payment on my new coach.
Old 11-18-2006, 01:40 AM   #36
hookman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6237
Acording to the dealer that I was talking to they are flat screen tv's not flat pannel tv's (lcd)
hookman is offline   Reply With Quote