Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 07-29-2006, 12:20 PM   #1
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Landing gear switch on the 3400RL

I don't know why they would put the switch for the landing gear inside, where you have to try and peer around the swinging door!
I made up a handheld switch box with an additional switch you can walk around to the landing gear area. It has a curly cord that extends. I will just hang it on a peg next to the factory switch when not used, I'll try and figure how to get a picture of it and my mess posted.
Ozz
http://i7.tinypic.com/21cwlfs.jpg

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 12:44 PM   #2
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Now that's a tremendous idea and something I will be looking into.

Wonder where I could find an experienced electrician to build one for me and by experienced I mean an electrician who has already built one for his rig?? HHHHMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmm I wonder??
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 12:52 PM   #3
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
I think the switch is inside for "safety reasons". The extension cord is a great idea and I agree with Glenn (2 n's) that it would be great to find someone experienced with building one to help.
Great improvements Ozz, I am looking forward to reading more.
Good luck and tow safe.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 12:53 PM   #4
Kathi
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3113
I purchased a product by Zaxis. It is a remote control for the landing gear. I love it. It works with a little remote that you carry on your key chain or where ever you want to keep it. It was $135. If you go to the website www.WesthaverAssociates.com/zaxis you can see it. Makes it so much easier then having to yell at your partner for not lining the truck up with the trailer etc. Only kidding!
Kathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 01:11 PM   #5
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I thought about that remote, but with my luck, I would have my other keys all bunched up in my pocket and whoops! down the Monty goes!
I am sure that wouldn't happen, but my truck alarm goes off all the time when something in my pocket presses on the button on my key fob.
Guys, it is really simple, the switch is a 20 amp, single pole double throw (center return spring loaded type switch)
LV 1257. (You don't need a 20 amp, but it is very stout and will take a lot of banging around.)
Just a curly 12-3 gage, repair cord, (I cut off the plug end) and a 2x4 handy box and cover. Just piggy back or splice into the wires on your switch. I don't have it mounted yet, probably will mount another 2x4 box next to the switch, drill through the back of the box and make the connections there.
Ozz
Old 07-29-2006, 01:11 PM   #6
Gonfishin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3604
Kathi, I ran across that web site a few wks ago and wondered how well that system worked. Can you tell me if you have had any troubles with it and how hard it was to install?
Thanks,
Rick.
Gonfishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 02:08 PM   #7
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
Great idea but I like Donna to help me unhook. I tell her to watch under that hitch until you see a teeny weeny little gap between the hitch plate and the pin plate. Then I check it. Check the wheel chocks, cord, landing gear, open the hitch and disconnect.

I will never own a bedsaver so I like two sets of eyes and two different people checking out the disconnect and connect. Then if someone has a brain fade, the other can catch it. I hope to be doing this for quite a few years and I don't imagine I am getting any sharper as I age .

The remote switch is a great idea and I might get one so Donna and I can both look for the gap together.
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 06:12 PM   #8
Kathi
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3113
Rick, It wasn't hard at all to install. Paul being an electrician was able to pop it all together in no time at all. Even if you aren't an electrician the instructions are very clear. We haven't had any problems at all in fact it has done away with all of the problems that we were having, the screaming, name calling, cussing, spitting, sputtering, and whatever else goes on when 2 people work against each other. No matter what I would say, he wouldn't believe me and would second guess me which always made for a lovely day. This way I felt there was no one to blame except the one with the remote.....LOL. Really it is a delight having this remote system. If you go to their website they have the instructions listed. You can look at them and see just how easy it is to install. Regards Kathi
Old 07-30-2006, 05:21 PM   #9
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
Thanks Kathi, for that link. I ordered one today. The biggest thing I hated was holding the door open with my back while holding the botton to raise or lower the unit.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 09:34 AM   #10
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
The remote is a good idea. As for why inside, I suspect it's to protect it from the weather. I've heard of landing gear extending while tooling down the road because splashing rain water shorted out the switch. On our older model I can open the propane door and see the gear through the floor opening. I don't think I can do that on the new one, though.

See another Montana or Mountaineer on the road? Flash lights twice, it might be one of us!
Steve Reigle (pronounced Regal)
Fulltiming since 3/21/03
'03 3295RK
'05 Ford F250 SD Lariat CC SB 6.0L PSD/TS FX4 4x4

Our RV Travels (now Firefox-compatible)

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 11:16 AM   #11
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Steve,
It might be a good idea to put a 'Kill switch' on it, interrupt the power to the motor, cheap insurance.
Ozz

'07 3400RL 2nd RTU
2 Golf Cart batteries 1500 watt inverter
Honda 2000 Generator, 2nd one and twinning kit coming
Maytag's with 220 Dryer
Stationary domed Sat. dish
LCD 12 Volt Amp gauge
LCD Tank Monitor
3 added 120 volt outlets
On Board Air; 12 Volt Viair 450C compressor
2006 Ford PSD 4x4 Off Road Lariat
Hadley Air Horns
Truck inverter with 110 volts for laptop
Color Backup Camera
Awning lock

Old 08-02-2006, 06:56 AM   #12
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
I was told reason for move to inside is that several users came back to find their units either sky high or on the ground - kids (????) playing with the switches. (I can believe it - my unit parked in my yard at home and neighborhood kids decided to 'play house' while wife and I were away getting some cleaning supplies -- never thought to lock it up in this neighborhood!!)

Ceara and Mia Osa
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 07:32 AM   #13
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
That makes sense, I will install a 'Kill' switch on mine, I read where someone was going down the road and the gear extended the legs. Could have been one of those 'Urban Legends', don't know, but not too much work to just install an off-on switch on the power leg. A little insurance.
Ozz

'07 3400RL 2nd RTU
2 Golf Cart batteries 1500 watt inverter
Honda 2000 Generator, 2nd one and twinning kit coming
Maytag's with 220 Dryer
Stationary domed Sat. dish
LCD 12 Volt Amp gauge
LCD Tank Monitor
3 added 120 volt outlets
On Board Air; 12 Volt Viair 450C compressor
2006 Ford PSD 4x4 Off Road Lariat
Hadley Air Horns
Truck inverter with 110 volts for laptop
Color Backup Camera
Awning lock
Old 08-17-2006, 03:07 PM   #14
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
I now have the Zaxis installed on my unit. It sure works great for both hooking up to the unit and leveling it. Thanks again Kathi for telling me about it.

Dennis & Linda
05 GMC 2500HD Duramax CC
Pullrite Superglide
05 Mountaineer 329RLS
[IMGhttp://i3.tinypic.com/znkncy.jpg[/IMG]
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 06:15 PM   #15
Kathi
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3113
No problem. I hope you really enjoy it. Makes life so much easier doesn't it.

Paul & Kathi Landau
Lola, Beulah & Hamel (BLk/Tan Coonhounds)
Max (Doxie) all rescues
Kalispell Montana

02' Dodge 3500 Cummins Diesel, Dually Longbed,
Banks Exhaust Sys.,
5"exhaust, Prodigy Brake Controller, Reese 22K Hitch, Magellan Roadmate 700 GPS.

05' 3400RL