Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-11-2006, 05:13 AM   #1
jimcar827
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #4829
Maiden Voyage

Hi all,
Carla and I made our first trip with our '06 Mountaineer 329RLS.
What a joy, pulled great (03 Superduty Diesel short bed extended cab).
I chipped it (don't tell anyone) and got great fuel mileage. We used to pull a 27' tt and I know I got as good or better mileage.
The Mission tires I was so worried about performed flawlessly (checked tp at 80 psi and did a feel test for heat, just to be sure at most every stop.
The first night we camped at Pipestem SP in WV and guess what? No hot water. In fact no water at all coming out of the hot water taps!
I had dewinterized the coach at home and I had no problem getting the antifreeze out of the hot taps so I know they worked.
I called my friendly selling dealer in Michigan who was not too helpfull. After explaining my situation he thought I has some kind of blockage and told me to disconect the pipe coming out of the heater, disconect the brass fitting, and check for a blockage.
All this after traveling 400 miles and getting dark.
Fooey on that I says to myself. I went to the safety pressure valve on the hot water tank and bled off most of the tank water, refilled it and wallah!! Hot water. Must have had an air block or something????
Traveling down the road, we arrived in Myrtle Beach and discovered one of the living area light globes had worked its way loose and fell on the couch. I stuck it back up, gave it a twist and it stayed put the rest of the trip. I will have to remember to check the tightness in the future.
The only other problems we had were a broken latch on one of the propane doors, and the lower kitchen drawer not staying latched.
All in all, not bad I would say.
GREAT Montana quality, great dealer prep and some simple common sense made it a very enjoyable trip.
Good traveling,
Jim and Carla McClure

jimcar827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 05:31 AM   #2
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Jim, sounds like FUN FUN FUN! How great is that.

For the light globes, Al has used plumbers tape on some of ours, take globe out, put tape around the glass portion, put back in fixture, tighten those little screws. Ours have stayed in real well since this fix, but we also check on them now and then.

When is the next trip???
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 05:53 AM   #3
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Glad to hear things went well on the first trip. Hoping you have many many more great times.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 06:49 AM   #4
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Use a little Lock-Tite on the thread of the little screws.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 07:01 AM   #5
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Sounds like a great start with a great coach. Glad to hear you were able to get your minor problems fixed and enjoy your trip. Hope from here on out you have nothing but happy miles ahead.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 07:06 AM   #6
campbud
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3142
Sounds like all went pretty good! It is nice when there are not alot of major headaches!
campbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 04:37 PM   #7
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
Sounds like a great start to to great RV. I also am on my first trip and today is day 22 and we are at a WIFI site. The only problem I had was drawer under the fridge coming open. Parrothead suggested the child proof drawer locks and I put one on a couple days ago. Works great. Take care.
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 04:51 PM   #8
Starchmill
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2070
Send a message via AIM to Starchmill
I know you'll love your new Mountaineer as much as I love mine. It's a great unit!! Congratulations. Marcia
Starchmill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 05:04 PM   #9
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
Congratulations, sounds like everything went well too!

mac
Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 06:46 PM   #10
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Jim

Congrats on an almost perfect maiden voyage. I would be curious as to who your selling dealership is, and your impressions. I know we have a thread going on dealership ratings, but if you wouldn't mind, it would be helpful.

Dave
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote