Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-13-2005, 12:16 PM   #1
rlwhit
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3189
Another gen question

I did not want to steal RonS thread so I started another. Today while shopping for a RV generator I came across the KIPOR brand. Much less than Honda or Yahama. Would like feedback on unit if anyone knows about them. Thanks

rlwhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 12:49 PM   #2
drifus
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #4711
Send a message via Yahoo to drifus
Not to make you leave this fine forum, but if you do not get an answer check http://www.rv.net and do a search on KIPOR you will find many good things about them.
drifus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 04:05 PM   #3
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
rlwhit,
I know nothing about the brand name you are inquiring about. But with a brand name like Honda or Yamaha you truly do get your money's worth. The Honda is very dependable and quiet. Other brands are starting to do better with all of these areas but Honda has been and IS the trend setter. One of the problems with other brands is the noise. Believe me when I say your neighbors will appreciate the quietness of a Honda or Yamaha type generator. Even out on the desert or in a forest you WANT to have as quiet a generator as you can get.

I looked at many other brands and almost bought a "Generac" type generator but I am so glad I did not do so. Seldom do I "hype" a product but this is one of those times. Good luck with whatever you end up with. Even if you don't do any dry camping a generator is a great thing to have on hand.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 11:35 PM   #4
BillyRay
Montana Master

M.O.C. #607
one of the biggest problems with the cheaper models isn't with the motor itself, but with the actual generating components. they will burn out easy compared to something like a honda or an onan, but it depends upon the amount your going to use it. if the thing is only going to be used twice a year, that's one thing.
BillyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 02:04 AM   #5
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Our local Home Depot sells Coleman gens. Seems like that should be a dependable name for gens. Any comments? I have never heard of Kippor brands - but I shouldn't go by that... I'm not someone who has a lot of experience with generators.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 04:47 AM   #6
Sweetfire
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4483
I've had Colemans before and they work well, but were not as quiet as a Honda or Yamaha. They may have improved since then. When I was pricing generators a few months ago a 3500 watt Onan, installed, was pushing $3,500.00. Two Honda EU2000's, the series connector, and shipping were under $2,000.

There are a couple of advantages to the portable generators;

They can be used away from the RV to power other things.

If you were to buy two you can run the AC, and if your not running the AC then alternating use between the two generators should put less ware on each one.

Each EU2000 weighs a little over 43 pounds. A little easier to shlep in and out of the truck/RV.
Sweetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 06:24 AM   #7
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
I did a lot of comparing generators when we thought we were going to Quartzsite. What I found was most of the other brands (including Coleman) were heavier, bigger and noisier. When we finally buy it will be a Honda or Yamaha. Size is really important to us becuase it will have to set between the hitch and the tailgate and not be taller than the sides of the truck. We found a generic brand at an auto store for $300 but it was heavy (70 lbs) and sounded like a thrashing machine.
Happy trails.................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 06:31 AM   #8
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
The forum drifus recommended (http://www.rv.net)has a thread of 100s of replies about the cheaper models. There's also an issue with the wiring where some require a wiring modification right off the shelf before they get the amperage they need. The one I'm thinking about is the 5500 watt Coleman sold by Pep Boys. Apparantly the wiring is "right" and folks are making a cord from a female RV outlet and 2 male plugs (made from 2 Harbor Freight short plugs spliced together), so they can plug into both 110 outlets at the same time and get 1 RV outlet with the needed amperage.
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 06:43 AM   #9
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I have a question on the 2 Hondas: How long do they run on their stock fuel supply (in tandem) and do any of you make modifications with your tanks (that's not too technically challenging)?
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 09:17 AM   #10
Lstierw
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3532
Just saw a 3500W KIPOR at a dealership in Conroe, tx and it seems to me that it was priced around 1,200 bucks. It is supposedly very quiet but as was noted before on this thread, it probably can not match the quality of Honda; but it may be a good alternative for those who rarely drycamp and for those unexpected situations.
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by rlwhit

I did not want to steal RonS thread so I started another. Today while shopping for a RV generator I came across the KIPOR brand. Much less than Honda or Yahama. Would like feedback on unit if anyone knows about them. Thanks
Lstierw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 10:52 AM   #11
RonS
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1316
dsprik - The Honda dealer told me that they should run for 8 hours with the stock fuel tanks and that they each hold a little over a gal of fuel. I have no experience yet with them, but in 8 hrs I can refuel them as needed. At present have no plan to run them while we are sleeping. I have them set up for parallel operation with a 30 Amp plug. I did test them with AC and microwave and both worked just fine, and I had them set to the ECO-Throttle mode. I have a volt meter in one of the RV outlets and the needle stayed in the green. Which is better than some of the 30 amp parks we have stayed at. I also have the 30 amp autoformer (which I will not use with generators) and only use the 50 amp cord at parks which have 50 amp service. With the autoformer we have even used the washer/dryer all went well, just have to turn off some stuff ie. A/C. or fireplace.
RonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 12:56 PM   #12
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
RonS, No you do not need to beef up the floor in the front compartment to carry the two Honda generators. Yes I do take them out to operate them. I do not want the carbon monoxide to come inside. If you need I can email you a picture of how I raised my shelf.
I doubt that the two generators will run for 8 hours especially if you need them for air conditioning. Thanks to another RV'er who gave me directions and pictures of a 6 gallon tank that you can put together to provide 6 gallons of fuel for the generators. It cost about $90.00 to make the tank. Email me if you would like the pictures and instructions.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 01:03 PM   #13
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
One of the things to consider when purchasing a generator is exactly what are you going to run in your rig using the generator. If running a lot of electronics equipment (computer, scanner, printers, etc.) you want a generator that provides as near a perfect sine wave that you can get. Honda provides that capability. I don't know what the KIPOR does.
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 01:08 PM   #14
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
Kipor does have a Sinemaster model that delivers the power that sensitive electronic stuff needs but the trouble with Kipor is in some areas there is not much of a service network set up and finding parts might be a challange. It is pretty hard to beat Honda.
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 01:47 PM   #15
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
I haven't sprung for a generator as yet but when I do it will absolutely be a Honda, maybe a pair of them. The reasoning is the QUIET running.
I you're planning on buying a generator and using it within close proximity of fellow campers PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE get a QUIET one. If you're out in the boonies all by your lonesome the noise probably won't be a problem but NOT in a campground. In one of those low voltage campgrounds my neighbor ran his noisy Coleman in order to run his AC. Thankfully it was a hot, humid night and I had my Autoformer working. I was able to crank my thermostat down to 65 so the AC never shut off and it pretty much drowned out the noisy generator. In the morning most everybody within earshot had a few words with him.

Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote