Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 03-03-2010, 05:23 AM   #1
2gunpete

M.O.C. #10183
Tuner Problems

I have a 2006 Duramac diesel and using a supership tuner. I recently had to replace my turbo and was told that the chip had nothing to do with the problem. As anyone else out there experienced turbo problems while running a tuner.

2gunpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 12:22 PM   #2
gregdan24
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9822
If you don't run with a boost gauge and overboost it, that could tear up the turbo. But a turbo is a mechanical piece of equipment, so could just fail on it's own too.
gregdan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 07:37 AM   #3
thor
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6133
do you have a pyrometer gauge for your truck .this will gauge the temp coming off the turbo.if you run temps higher than 1350 you can start to melt things .with the guage you can monitor how hot your engine is getting to lay off the throttle to cool the engine down .also before shutting your truck off the temp should be at least under 300 degrees before shutting down your truck.you can check on line for the pyrometer.
thor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 09:57 AM   #4
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Another note on turbo's just in case you didn't know, after a hard pull you should never shut the motor down, let it cool down and watch your pyrometer gauge when it goes down then shut it off.
If the oil dont get circulated and sits there it burns inside the turbo then when you start it up again the crystallized oil brakes off and will cause damage to your barrings in the turbo.
Old 03-04-2010, 11:14 AM   #5
tom41
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6363
best to never let the temp get above 1200, and then only for a few minutes. you can always gear down, back off and pull at below 1200.
tom41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 02:23 PM   #6
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
Tuner...geez, why? I figure if I'm clearing most East Coast mountains at 55 mph...do I need more juice?
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 12:54 PM   #7
gregdan24
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9822
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by noneck

Tuner...geez, why? I figure if I'm clearing most East Coast mountains at 55 mph...do I need more juice?
This coming from someone that flys a plane without a motor? LOL!
gregdan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 04:16 PM   #8
dustinc02
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #4877
x 2 on Thors comment. I run an EDGE/ATTITUDE tuner in my 06 Duramax. Helps out with power, mileage, and power to EGT ratio. Well worth the investment. With the digital gauge/pyrometer, I just watch the EGT's. I make sure I do not exceed 1350 EGT and let it cool down below 300 before shutting down. I have 100,000 on the engine and have had the programmer in since 15,000 miles. Today marks my 10th trip coast to coast pulling my 13,000 pound Montana.
dustinc02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 04:13 AM   #9
WorkerB
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8202
Interesting thread 2gunpete,
I'm running a 2004 stock 6.6L Duramax. Thor mentions we need to cool down to 300 degrees before shutting down. Without gages how does one know or gustimate when it's OK to shut down so as not to hurt turbo? Also I can't hear my turbo like I could when I had a 7.3 Ford. I have considered buying a Diablo Predator just to watch performance. For those of us that want to remain stock what is the answer?
WorkerB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 07:22 AM   #10
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
I don't have/want a tuner...the LBZ has plenty of power as it comes from the factory. Re the cool down, if cruising the interstate, a cool down period is not needed, if pulling a hill, a let it idle for two minutes. In a previous life, we let our turbine helicopters idle for two minutes... that should do it for the Duramax also.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 11:38 AM   #11
richard66
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5896
Didn't you purchase and install the tuner for more performance. More performance sometimes costs more money. Your turbo probably did not fail as a direct effect from the added performance derived from the tuner. Maybe you just used the additional power more often without considering additional temperature effects. The new trucks have plenty of power stock. If you are stock your dealer will take care of you under warranty. Add a tuner and tell the dealer that you installed it to get better performance and they will laugh you off the lot on a warranty claim.
richard66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 02:14 PM   #12
7.3Ford
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9808
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richard66

Didn't you purchase and install the tuner for more performance. More performance sometimes costs more money. Your turbo probably did not fail as a direct effect from the added performance derived from the tuner. Maybe you just used the additional power more often without considering additional temperature effects. The new trucks have plenty of power stock. If you are stock your dealer will take care of you under warranty. Add a tuner and tell the dealer that you installed it to get better performance and they will laugh you off the lot on a warranty claim.
I have Edge A2 (Discontinued). It has 5 levels plus stock, which you can change on the fly, but only level 1 or 2 can be used pulling, and level 4 and 5 can't be used without upgrading the drive train. The thing I like the best is the transmission shifts better, and of course a little more power if you need it. I have it programmed for least amount of smoke. Also there is a feature to back down power if the EGT gets to high, which I have never seen.

Of all the mods I have done, exhaust brake and Aux Transmission have given me the most improvement for towing.
7.3Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 07:04 AM   #13
thor
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6133
someone asked how to tell when the engine is under 300 degrees .you can buy a pyorometer guage for your truck. this is a gauge that goes right after the turbo and tells the temp coming directly form the turbo.the way it works is you drill snd tap a hole in the exhaust manifold .the sensor goes into the exhaust manifod then the gauage to the cab of the truck as you tow you will see how hot your egine is getting.if the engine goes above 1300 degrees back off the throttle and the temp will come down .before shutting down the engine watch the gauge till it gets below 300 or the turbo will burn the oil on the turbo bearings.this is called cokeing the turbo.also when drilling the exhaust manifold you grease the drill and tap so the drill cutings and tap cuttings will stick to the drill and tap.when finished drilling and tapping run the engine to blow any cuttings that may have fallen.before installing the pyorometer.you dont have to worry about the chips because this is the exhaust manifold the chips get blown out the tail tipe and does not got in the engine.you can find this gauge on the internet
thor is offline   Reply With Quote