Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > On the Road Again
Click Here to Login

Old 11-10-2008, 12:18 PM   #1
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
Alaska Bound need help

Ok, we aren't going in the Montana, but are taking a cruise next May starting in San Francisco and ending in Vancouver. I love to take independent tours and stay away from the cruise line tours if possible. I would love to hear from anyone that has been/or lived in the following cities, given me some must do info in the towns we are visiting. If you know any local vendors that I can contact that would be great too.

We will visit the following ports.

Astoria,Oregon
Seattle,Washington
Ketchikan,Alaska
Juneau,Alaska
Skagway,Alaska
Icy Strait Point,Alaska
Sitka,Alaska
Princr Rupert, British Columbia
Victoria, British Columbia
Vancouver, British Columbia

We will be in the ports for only six hours and others for almost twelve. This will be our first trip to Alaska so I am really excited about getting to see wild life.

I forgot to say that we are traveling there May 2, 2009. What kind of weather should we plan for? I know this is a RV board, but who knows more about an area than the people that have lived there or ones that have camped in an area for a period of time. We need to fit in as much as possible while in port.

Thanks guys and gals for your suggestions.

Colleen

Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 01:29 PM   #2
rogue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7368
Colleen, was there in 1989 (year of the EXXON Valedze(sp).

Sitka - The Museum and park with all the Totem poles, also check out the private home windows for the lace curtains.

Ketchikan - Fantastic town

Juneau - go to the Glacier, I think you can get a local bus out there and back.

Skagway - you MUST stop at the "Red Dog Saloon"

Victoria - a must see at night Government buildings light up at night. Also a famous hotel, cant think of the name. Also Buchart Gardens day or night, they light up the place at night.

Seattle - must see the fish market and produce markets need the cruse ship docks.

Interested to see what others have to say about Prince Rupert and Astoria.

Bob
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 02:09 PM   #3
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
I respond because we took an Alaska cruise leaving Vancouver on May 4. That corresponds pretty well with the date of your planned cruise. We had very nice weather. The coldest I remember was the cruise through Glacier Bay. Otherwise we just wore light jackets for the most part. We took the train ride up White Pass from Skagway. I would certainly recommend that.

Click to see train ride

The date of your cruise means that you may very well be the first ship into some (maybe all) of the ports. We had quite a welcome in Juneau with native dancers, bagpipers, bands, the works. It made us feel quite special.

Click to see our welcome

padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 02:13 PM   #4
John and Carol
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6294
We spent April and May workcamping near Astoria this year. It could be cool but sunny and beautiful, but more likely could be damp and rainy. downtown Astoria isn't very interesting. A trip to Ft. Stevens and the Lewis and Clark NP would be very interesting.
Hope this helps.
John and Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 11:51 AM   #5
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
Thanks for your replys everyone. Any one else have any suggestions???

We will be the first ship of the season, can't wait to see everything.

Colleen
Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 12:16 PM   #6
mtheo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6171
I've been trying to get the DW to go to Alaska, hope to make it there this coming summer, cruise that is.
mtheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 04:09 PM   #7
Lyle

M.O.C. #8889
Hi,
Have been on a cruise to Alaska twice, last time this past July. Side excursions are great but you might want to consider that if for any reason you don't get back to the ship on time on an excursion that is not booked through the cruise line, they can take off without you. That and the fact that you can not be sure how a private excursion outfit may be insured was enough to keep us on the cruise line excursions. We've had good luck with most of them. Fishing, glacier viewing, wildlife adventures, and whale watching etc. Fun, fun, fun. One disappointment this last time was that some of the excursions very much implied that we could expect to see lots of wildlife, which wasn't always the case. Some wildlife are only usually seen when the salmon run, and then only in certain areas. Some brochures are good at implying more than they can provide, (bear watching when one hasn't been spotted in that area for a year, etc.) and some brochures understate a great adventure. You never know for sure. Be sure to ask lots of questions. As early as you are going, the salmon won't be running yet, but there may be some excellent coastal fishing. Bon Voyage
Lyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 05:32 PM   #8
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Remember, the heavier the boat (in tonnage)the smoother the ride. The tonnage of the ship should be listed. If I'm not mistaken you want 300,000 tons or better. Some Sailors can give the facts.

Edited: Otherwise, make sure you have Dramamine with you.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 07:11 PM   #9
D and M On The Road
Montana Master

M.O.C. #49
I've been on four cruises in the last 3 years (two Alaskan cruises) and hope to go to Alaska again next year. Here's a bit of what I have learned:
...Be extra careful of jewelry stores in Alaska. Learn to just say "no" or better yet, don't go into one.
...Look for a coupon book at the boarding area of your ship in San Francisco, or look around to see if someone might be handing them out just as you board the ship. Get a couple of them if possible. If you are going to be buying gifts, these coupon books are worth their weight in gold. I think we came home from our Alaskan cruises with at least 5 "Ulu" knives to give as presents. Every gift store in Alaska sells the knives along with the "bear paw" salad spoons. www.ulu.com
...There will be lots of vendors/tour agents/travel guides on the dock waiting to try and sign up passengers when the ship stops at each port. So if you don't have any activities lined up, you can see what is available and sign up instantly with one of them.
...Pack an umbrella for everyone.
...Pack your own pharmacy bag. The ships don't carry much in the way of OTC items other than Tylenol and Ibuprofen. Have everyone get a course of antibiotics from their doctors to take with them. Pack motion sickness pill like "Bonine". It's non-drowsy. A visit to the ship's doctor isn't cheap and they don't stock much in the way of drugs either.
...From hotels to airports (or visa versa) a limousine is usually cheaper than a taxi or a shuttle van. Look in the yellow pages to contract your own limo or ask the hotel how much a ride is before you let them book for you. Might as well go in style and comfort if the price is the same.

Astoria... not too much to see unless you want to see the school where they filmed "Kindergarten Cop".
Excellent hotel on the water called "Cannery Pier Hotel" if you want a nice hotel here. http://www.cannerypierhotel.com/
Very nice Italian restaurant: http://www.fulios.com

Seattle... Pike Place Market is a must see. Try and get there fairly early in the day as it gets very crowded by noon. http://www.pikeplacemarket.org/frameset.asp?flash=true
Dining at the Space Needle, the food is okay, price is high. If you dine at the top of the Needle, then your elevator ride ($16) to the top is free. http://www.spaceneedle.com/
Ivar's seafood Restaurant is located down on the waterfront near the ferry terminals. World famous clam chowder. http://www.ivars.net/
Buses in the downtown area are free to ride.

Ketchikan.... we mainly stayed downtown near the docks so can't say much about here other than don't take the "submarine" ride. It's an expensive scam. Lots of good shopping.

Juneau... Take the tram up Mt. Roberts. Excellent walking/hiking trails at the top with wildlife viewing platforms. Gift shop and restaurant at the top. Your tram ticket is good for unlimited rides for the whole day. Absolutely beautiful. You can't miss Mt. Roberts as it's right there where the ships dock. http://www.goldbelttours.com/travel/...neau/tram.html
I also highly recommend to "ZipLine" in a rain forest: http://www.alaskacanopy.com/
Good shopping here also.

Skagway... The White Pass & Yukon Railroad tour is a must. http://www.whitepassrailroad.com/train
Northern Lights Pizza Restaurant (Italian, Greek, Mexican and American Food), 3rd Ave between Broadway & State.

Sitka... I'd do a van or bus tour here. Beautiful old town with lots of interesting Russian history.

Prince Rupert... not too sure why cruise lines stop here. It's an absolute waste of time. Nothing to see or do at all. If I was to go here again via cruise ship, I wouldn't get off the ship.

Victoria... wow, so much to see. Rent small motorcycles and tour the city if nice weather.
Buchart Gardens are world famous and beautiful. http://www.butchartgardens.com
The 100 year old Fairmont Empress Hotel is very nice to wander around in.
http://www.fairmont.com/empress
Great downtown area to wander and stop in at a small bisto or cafe for a meal.

There's just too much to say about cruising so I'll stop here.

D and M On The Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 08:26 AM   #10
capn chris
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2586
Send a message via AIM to capn chris Send a message via Yahoo to capn chris
Agree w/D&M ideas, especially White Pass RR if it's a nice day, Buchart Gardens and Empress Hotel in Victoria (Empress does "High Tea" if you're so inclined). Also try fish (halibut) and chips in Juneau or Ketchikan. Helicopter or float plane to the glaciers from Skagway or Juneau. Ivars in Seattle is on the water. Good food and lots of shops nearby. Red Dog Saloon in Juneau is classic, too, as is The Hanger by the cruise docks. If you're not sure when you'll be back, try lots of things! Vancouver has a neat little zoo, and dinner at the Prow by the water is nice in the evening if you're not on the ship?! Also agree re. jewelry stores. Most are run by the cruise lines, not locals!
capn chris is offline   Reply With Quote