Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 03-05-2008, 11:50 PM   #1
c214dick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8160
Super Chip

Has any one used a super chip tuner for improved mileage or performance? I've been looking at a few different ones and my accessory installation guy swears by his.

Thanks

c214dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 02:25 AM   #2
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Depends. The newer trucks are more powerful than the older ones (2002 or earlier). I had a Hypertech on my 2002 F250, but would not put one on my 2008 F350. When towing, I ran it at its lowest setting. Ultimately, I put it back to stock. I did notice a power difference, but the promises of fuel economy were overblown.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 02:49 AM   #3
Clyde n Deb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3477
You might check the archives. This is one of those subjects that's had a rough time on this forum lately. Voicing one's honest opinion has a tendency to draw unnecessary harsh criticism.
Clyde n Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 12:18 PM   #4
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
I'm with stiles...I got a 03 and if it had anymore power I'd be speeding I can't afford the tickets.
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 12:28 PM   #5
PowellsMonty
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1967
And voids warantees
PowellsMonty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 01:11 PM   #6
c214dick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8160
Not looking for power, better mileage. I've been reading a lot of reviews/comments by owners and most are excited about the increased performance but few say anything about improved mileage. It's amazing how many get off burning rubber. I guess I outgrew that 45 years ago when I was burning up my Dad's tires.
Old 03-06-2008, 01:53 PM   #7
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
I use the Super Chips Tuner on my 2000 7.3. I've only used it on the low setting as recommended for towing anything as big as the fiver ... there is a noticable power increase. Improved mileage ... none. Some have sworn they get increased mileage ... maybe so for them. The facts are more power comes from somewhere other than out of thin air ... usually more fuel. Perhaps they just drive more wisely since they have more "horses". I had an old 460 gasser that I "chipped". It did improve the mileage somewhat, but I had to burn premium to get that improvement ... kinda negated the whole "chipped" philosophy.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 03:02 PM   #8
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
As has been said, this is indeed an incendiary topic on this forum. My experience is with the Hypertech programmer. I had one for my 2003 2500HD. It turned that truck from ok performance to a screamer. And, there was a decided improvement in mileage when towing but nothing when unloaded. Now we have a 2006 3500. I ran for a year with nothing until they finally came up with a program for the 2006 engine. The new programmer has a little performance improvement but does nothing for mileage. It is not really worth the money. I agree with Stiles -- the factory increased horsepower and torque enough to leave little margin for improvement by the after market guys.

As to the issue of warranty, you will get lots of heavily biased opinions one way or the other -- frequently accompanied by ungracious attacks on your personal character and intelligence. IMHO, you have to make your own risk reward assessment some of which may involve qualitative as well as quantitative issues. I happen to be a horsepower junkie so listening to rational arguments about lawyers and nasty manufacturer is just boring -- but that's me.
Dave e Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 03:21 PM   #9
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
Hmmm, guess I missed the mileage response in my last post. I'm still very happy towing my Monty getting 12mpg when not towing city 14mpg and highway 19mpg. My old tow 1/2 ton gasser p/u did 8mpg towing previous sob when not towing 13mpg and highway 16mpg...
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 04:01 PM   #10
clutch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7329
I know my Edge EZ is not a super chip tuner but it made my truck a lot more user friendly without any EGT issues. It did not improve my fuel economy at all because I keep checking to see if it is still working.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 10:05 PM   #11
waldo238
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7818
I have the Super Chip for my 03 250 7.3. I only use it on tow safe because it is slugish on start up. I did get an increase in mileage w/mine as I also put in a K&N air filter kit. While towing my old 30' TT I was getting around 14 MPG, don't about the fver since it has not gone out yet.
waldo238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 12:56 AM   #12
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
They can say what they want about increased performance but my 310HP Duramax performs very well without the added expense of any super chip, program or whatever modification you want to label it.
As far as fuel mileage, I have spoken face to face to many an individual with this performance mod and about 2 in 10 claim a slight increase in MPG, maybe 3 in 10 say MPG was about the same as before and 5 in 10 admit to losing 2 to 3 MPG.
I have also spoken to 3 different GMC garages and and all 3 say it WILL void the warranty.
Like Dave, I am a horse power freak and I would love the extra HP but not if I can't absolutely justify the additional cost and more importantly losing the warranty on my Duramax and Allison. My risk assessment is simple-- If it ain't broke don't fix it.
Possibly once the warranty expires I may consider the mod but by that time I will, in all probability, be ready to trade it in.

OH BTW- That's just My Humble Opinion with no attacks intended.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 01:24 AM   #13
waldo238
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7818
My old 7.3 at 235 HP is a far cry from 310 HP.
waldo238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 01:37 AM   #14
c214dick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8160
The more I research using the chip the more I am learning that it probably is not worth the investment. The only evidence of improved mpg comes from the sites selling the product. When reading other postings from actual users the emphasis is on improved performance/horsepower, which I don't need. There is, however, more postings on routine maintenance items such as air filter cleanliness, maximum tire inflation, oil change and some fuel additives such as power service.

I did reduce my tire pressure to soften my ride and stopped using the power service only due to laziness. I can't remember the last time I checked my air filter, which means I should, and am due for an oil change. Maybe that will help if not it still needs to be done.

Now for the other shoe dropping. I did find some info regarding Airtabs. Without spending a lot of time and space explaining, check out their website at www.airtab.com. It's very interesting. They also have an excel spread sheet to figure out the ROI and a number of photos/testimonials regarding the product. I have an e-mail in to them for more info. The airtabs are cheaper than a chip, apply to both the RV and TV, and does not affect the warranty all for less than $200.
Old 03-07-2008, 04:43 AM   #15
JimF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6260
Send a message via ICQ to JimF Send a message via AIM to JimF Send a message via Yahoo to JimF
I have a Hypertech on my 01 5.9 and do see a Hp and Torque increase but my real winner is in MPG up from 9.6 to 12.4 towing my 07 3400RL. I, personally, wouldn't be without it, but it is on an 01 model. If I had a new vehicle I probably would not. I am trying to get it (the 01 engine) up to something that is remotely close to the performance of the newer engines, which it is. I run on the highest setting when towing and have over 100K miles on the engine.

I towed from NY state to Florida without the programmer and averaged 9.6 mpg. Then pulled the same run in reverse (FL to NY) on Level 3 Hypertech and averaged 12.4. That sold me..
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 04:16 PM   #16
BigAl52
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4977
Boy I love these chip threads. I have used a Smarty and an MP-8 on my Dodge. I love what it has done for the performance and the mileage. I would do it all over again. But then some of us don't have one of the newer rigs with all that ground pounding power to pull our fivers so we look for a little more. I also see the warranty guys are out again now we just need another 3/4 ton -1 ton thread to get the weight police on a roll again. Al
BigAl52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 04:25 PM   #17
clutch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7329
LOL X2 Al.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 11:11 AM   #18
Thunderman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #920
We put a chip, Power Pro in a 04 GMC duramax. Immediately prior to programing the chip, the truck ran great. Immediately after the chip was put in we had a teriffic increase in power. After about 5 miles the truck would hardly run when accelerated. We de-programmed the chip and the truck ran fine. Re-programmed the chip and recieved a code indicating the fuel filter needed to be changed. After changing the fuel filter and with the chip programmed it ran great again. To soon to tell about mileage but the power is there. This chip had settings of 1 - 2- 3 with 3 being max. I was surprised to find the vehicle would run fine with the old filter and no chip but could not handle the added fuel with chip. Just shows that there could be a lot of fuel being used.
As previously posted, it will might be beneficial when towing but the better mpg remains to be seen. I expect the driver can influence this greatly.
Have a good day!
Thunderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 03:35 PM   #19
c214dick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8160
I changed my air filter and shame on me for forgetting about it but noticed an immediate difference. Tomorrow I'm going to meet with my truck accessory guy who swears by the superchip in his Chevy. I seem to be finding more positive on the chips as the days go on.