Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 08-25-2006, 09:32 AM   #41
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Dusty, I'm glad to hear Don is doing better.

Steve and Tara, you may be right about the ductwork being too small but since all Montanas use the same ductwork I'd think we'd be hearing of more people having problems. Ours has never had this problem. I still think it's the unit itself or how it's mounted. In this humidity we have water drip off the roof, coming out of the AC unit but up on the roof. I have to wonder if yours is not escaping onto the roof, like maybe something plugged? I'm not sure how it gets onto the roof but likely there is a vent hole or hose of some kind. It might be worth pulling the cover to see what you can find. There's something like 14 screws and the cover comes right off. I've had ours off a couple of times but don't recall how the moisture vents to the roof.

See another Montana or Mountaineer on the road? Flash lights twice, it might be one of us!
Steve Reigle (pronounced Regal)
Fulltiming since 3/21/03
'03 3295RK
'05 Ford F250 SD Lariat CC SB 6.0L PSD/TS FX4 4x4

Our RV Travels (now Firefox-compatible)

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 10:14 AM   #42
txkrumm
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5920
Steve,
I have taken the plastic shroud off, have not taken the cover off the coil yet, that is next.
Maybe we should take a poll and see if this problem happens in certain models, years, and climates.

I believe that the duct work is not allowing enough air flow through the coil, causing the condensate to freeze, when this happens the drain hole becomes plugged with ice, the outside layer of frozen condesate melts, overfilling the drip tray, allowing the water to drip inside.

I fix the problem by removing the outside shroud, turning A/C off, run the fan on high. Ice melts, drain whole opens, water pours off the roof. Turn on the A/C, everthing works until the next time it decides to freeze. It's really starting to bug me.

We have a 03 3655fl, one A/C 15000 Dometic, freezing has occured in the cool morning and hot afternoon. Steve K.

Steve and Tara Krumm
2004 GMC 4X4 Duramax Allison
2003 Montana 3655 FL

[img]http://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniWeather04/language/www/US/MT/Livingston.gif" border=0
alt="Click for Livingston, Montana Forecast" height=50 width=150[/img]
txkrumm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 03:00 PM   #43
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
txkrumm

Our AC has never leaked inside the house. When it is frozen it doesn't have any water going anywhere. We don't take anything off the AC . We just turn off the compressor and put it on high fan and it thaws and runs off the roof.
Hopefully we will get this fixed next week. Cross your fingers for us! I called the Durtherm guy that put the freeze control on and he is going to call Durotherm Monday and see if they will let him install a new AC. Our little 13.5 second AC works better than the 15,000 one in living area.

Dusty & Don ... Two spoiled schnauzers and a Maine Coon cat. 2500 Dodge Diesel 2003,SLT,
Bedsaver, Doran tire pressure moniter.
2004 Montana 3295. Fireplace,Washer/dryer,2 air conditioners.

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/Dustytuu/
Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 03:05 PM   #44
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
Steve,
Don said thanks for condolences.
This was his only brother and never had sisters.

We stopped by his brother's house today and I took some zucchini bread to sister-in-law. She has company almost every evening. She is not doing very well. Will take time.

Dusty & Don ... Two spoiled schnauzers and a Maine Coon cat. 2500 Dodge Diesel 2003,SLT,

Old 08-25-2006, 04:12 PM   #45
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Steve and Steve,

I've had the cover off and disassembled the outer coil cover (low profile version). The coil has a plastic drip tray around the base that extends beyond the coil about 3/8" around all sides and is about 3/8" deep. At each side, water is channeled from the drip tray to two drain holes, just under the metal frame of the AC that point down on the roof. They would be difficult to plug as there is no outside access to the coil necessarily.

The problem I have found is a: the tray does not extend out far enough to compensate for the angle on the Montana roof (dealer installs a wing on tray to fix this) b: when the AC is running, the air blows condensate off of the coil, causing it to miss the tray altogether. All of the water that misses the tray begins to run down the metal frame and drips down into the plastic grille cover filling it up. If the dump damper is open, it drips down onto the floor. If the drip damper is closed, it really fills up and start running inbetween the ceiling board and insulation, exiting where ever it can. Usually that is the trim boards holding up the ceiling at the edges of the RV, either over the slide or further back.

If you do take it apart, be careful with the foil backed insulation, as it is glued to the metal frame on both sides and on the metal cover. It makes a mess if your not careful.

Brad
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 07:43 AM   #46
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Brad, I don't recall which AC you have, the full size or the Penguin. A year or so ago there were a number of people getting water running inside the rig. The problem with those was that drip pan. I think some were cracked but some may have been because they were too small. They were replaced by Dometic, if I recall, on the ones with problems. You might try calling Dometic and talk to them. They'll probably need the model number and maybe the serial number.

Steve, I'd suggest you call Dometic, also, if you haven't done that already. You both may have done that. I should go back and re-read the thread as my memory is failing me on that point.

See another Montana or Mountaineer on the road? Flash lights twice, it might be one of us!
Steve Reigle (pronounced Regal)
Fulltiming since 3/21/03
'03 3295RK
'05 Ford F250 SD Lariat CC SB 6.0L PSD/TS FX4 4x4

Our RV Travels (now Firefox-compatible)

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 04:32 PM   #47
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Steve,
I have the Duo-Therm penguin. I did email Montana and they gave me a number to call with Dometic. I'll try them and see if they have a factory fix.

Brad
Old 08-28-2006, 04:09 AM   #48
jsrang
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1726
What is the "Dump Damper"? I think it was mentioned earlier in this thread, but I must have missed the reply. Thanks again.

Jim

Jim & Marilyn Rang
2004 2500 CC Silverado SRW Duramax/Allison
2005 3650 Montana RK
jsrang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 04:20 AM   #49
txkrumm
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5920
The "dump damper, "dump vent", or what ever the term may be is the vent right on the A/C unit itself. It allows most of the air to flow right out of the unit. Steve k.

Steve and Tara Krumm
2004 GMC 4X4 Duramax Allison
2003 Montana 3655 FL

txkrumm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 06:57 AM   #50
jsrang
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1726
Steve,
Thanks for answering another "dumb question"! Now it makes sense to me.

Jim

Jim & Marilyn Rang
2004 2500 CC Silverado SRW Duramax/Allison
2005 3650 Montana RK
jsrang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 05:18 AM   #51
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
An update on the AC problem.
Durtherm is replacing the AC. So they stepped up to the plate.
Glad they are doing that because we didn't have any other
options. Everything was done and it still froze.
Sure glad it was still under warranty.

Old 08-29-2006, 05:25 AM   #52
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Dusty,
Are they replacing it with the same model? Keep us posted as to the success.
Old 08-30-2006, 06:35 AM   #53
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
Yes they are replacing it with the same model. The Durtherm 15,000. We do have a Penquin 13.5 in the bedroom, and right now it works better than the bigger 15,000 in the living area. They are going to replace it September 6. I hope this replacement works!! Durotherm told me, if it doesn't work, then I am out of luck. Even though it is still under warranty. I find that hard to believe.
I know that a lot of that model is causing freeze up problems. If this doesn't work then we may get a different model ourselves. If it will fit.

Old 08-30-2006, 07:55 AM   #54
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
That doesn't sound like the right answer! In other words, we designed this thing and it doesn't work, so we are sorry you bought it. Clearly you are not an isolated case - just look at the feedback for that model on the CW web page.

Want another 1500 Penguin for the back unit? I promise it only freezes up most of the time, and only drips on the floor all of the time. It's kind of a AC/Swamp Cooler combination.
Old 08-30-2006, 08:44 AM   #55
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
Our Penquin works great. Sorry yours doesn't. Have you called Durotherm?

Old 08-30-2006, 09:24 AM   #56
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
I have only dealt with the dealer under warranty. He kept tightening the bolts saying water was coming back in from the roof - silly guy. Now that warranty is out, I'll try Dometic. I wanted to see how yours turned out first, as I probably will get the same guy you used.

On the other hand, I may just put a Coleman up there. Dory loved the idea of the heat strip on the Mach 3, as she could take some of that high country chill off without the noisy furnace.
Old 08-30-2006, 09:38 AM   #57
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Interesting little specification under Coleman - a reciprocating AC can only tolerate a 7 degree angle front to back, and a rotary AC can only tolerate 15 degrees. If the angle is too extreme, the mount requires a shim to level it out. http://i2.tinypic.com/2622ix4.jpg

I'd have to ask Ozz as to the compressor type on these, as I have not idea.

I'm not sure what the angle is on the redesigned '03 roof, but it could explain why your penguin is working well in the bedroom and mine over the living space doesn't. (bedroom not nearly the angle).
Old 08-30-2006, 11:35 AM   #58
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
bsmeaton,
Maybe this article will help, Lot's of good information; http://www.villagekitchen.com/vk/comments/rv_ac.html
Ozz

'07 3400RL 2nd RTU
2 Golf Cart batteries 3,000 watt inverter, automatic transfer switch
Honda 2000 Generator, Maytag's with 220 Dryer
Stationary domed Sat. dish, LCD 12 Volt Amp gauge, LCD Tank Monitor
3 added 120 volt outlets, On Board Air; 12 Volt Viair 450C compressor
2006 Ford PSD 4x4 Off Road Lariat, Hadley Air Horns, Truck inverter with 110 volts: laptop, Color Backup camera, Firestone air bags,Husky air ride roller hitch, Awning lock
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 11:46 AM   #59
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Thanks Ozz!
I've got to re-read it to see if I understand the heat cycle clearly.

Brad
Old 08-30-2006, 12:12 PM   #60
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Brad,
If you haven't got it figured out in a month, maybe I can look at it. We are coming out to Colorado, Woodland Park, Cascade area, (I grew up there) for a visit. Sue has family up in Littelton, we will be going up there to visit them.
Check the seal, just for Grins, it should be compressed 1/2" all the way around.
We had a small starter 22" TT, I installed the heating element, basically it was a waste of money, just blew cool air, Sue wouldn't use it. I, of course, enjoyed installing it, and wiring it up.
Have you pulled the shroud off the top of the unit to see what is going on in there?
I know it's been a pain.
I found Dometic great to work with, we had an awning blow off our '04 keystone Sprinter, in extremely high winds leaving Albuquerque, New Mexico. I e-mailed them & told them we were headed to South Padre, they made arrangements to have a new one installed down there, shipped it to a grouchy old far#, service guy, he installed it there. N/C for the awning, I paid a service call.

'07 3400RL 2nd RTU
2 Golf Cart batteries 3,000 watt inverter, automatic transfer switch
Honda 2000 Generator, Maytag's with 220 Dryer
Stationary domed Sat. dish, LCD 12 Volt Amp gauge, LCD Tank Monitor
3 added 120 volt outlets, On Board Air; 12 Volt Viair 450C compressor
2006 Ford PSD 4x4 Off Road Lariat, Hadley Air Horns, Truck inverter with 110 volts: laptop, Color Backup camera, Firestone air bags,Husky air ride roller hitch, Awning lock
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote