Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 05-08-2006, 05:08 AM   #1
patodonn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #331
Main door handle broke!!

...when I tried to open it last night to take Scooter, The Wonder Dog, out for his last walk of the day. The part you pull on from the inside to open the door latch actually broke just behind the pivot point.

It is interesting to realize that you are trapped in the rig when that happens. Fortunately, I keep some tools in the rig, and it took only 5 min or so to take the inside plate off so I could slide the latch back out of the door jamb with a screwdriver blade. Removed the broken handle and the pivot pin, put it all back together without the handle, and now all is "workable" from inside using a screwdriver to slide the latch when necessary. I did run a fairly long zip-tie through the two pivot pin holes so as to give me some way to pull the door closed from the inside. The door locks and latch work normally from outside.

In talking to Keystone this AM, once again verified that Keystone doesn't have a system where individuals can order parts from them. Got to go through either a Dealer or the actual manufacturer of whatever it is. Not real time-sensitive nor user friendly, but that's the way it is..working down the parts trail today...

patodonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 08:17 AM   #2
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Had the same thing happen, sorta, ------the pin slipped out and made the inside pull portion of the handle non-functional. After we got out, we replaced pin, put silicone on bottom to hold it in and it was fine for a very long time, it was eventually replaced at the service center.

That was the time that Al and I decided we were NOT going out that fire hatch UNLESS the joint was really on fire!
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 09:02 AM   #3
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I hope you are able to locate the parts you need soon. Nothing like having a broken front door handle and waiting for weeks to locate the part you need. I also hope Keystone reads this thread often enough to take the advice from members in helping them become more "owner friendly" and a better rv company all around.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 09:34 AM   #4
Roman4
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #3018
PJ-
We had a need to order a replacement door lock last year. The lock on our 2005 model was made by FIC (Fastec Industrial Corp) in Elkhart, Indiana. Their phone number was molded into the door lock innards, as I recall.

They sent the replacement, without charge, although they would not overnight it. It took about a week, and came by UPS as I recall.

On Edit: One phone number for Fastec is: (574) 266-9373; a website is: www.fastecindustrial.com
Roman4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 10:05 AM   #5
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Harmon and Ruth, nice to see your picture!

Our door lock is fine. There, now I'm on topic!
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 11:28 AM   #6
Kathi
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3113
Same thing happened to our door about 3 weeks after we got it. We were locked out and in...I ended up going through the basement into the trailer (that was a sight) and taking the whole thing off. Still wouldn't work. We ended up hooking up the whole trailer pulling it to the dealer 50 miles away and they replaced it right on the spot. It was a good thing cuz we were leaving the following day to a class reunion in Oceanside.
Kathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 01:15 PM   #7
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I would suggest buying two or three of them. Had the same problem with the flimsy door handle in our previous TT and they broke with alarming frequency.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 02:18 PM   #8
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
Seems strange that Rich and others have had them break often. Every trailer and motorhome I've ever owned used the same handle and I've never had that happen. (of course I just knocked on my head, closest thing to wood I could find) Some of them I owned for 10 years. I must have just been lucky.

mac
Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 03:19 PM   #9
patodonn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #331
Thanks for the feedback....I'll call Fastec tomorrow. Also, there is a RV dealer here in Santa Fe who might have a suitable replacement. Not open on Mondays....if they can't afind a part here, I'll get one in Colorado Springs next week from a Monty dealer. Minor inconvenience for now.

Thanks all..
patodonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 03:29 PM   #10
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
PJ,

If you want to call ahead Dee's RV in Colorado Springs numbers are:

719-634-7606

1-800-634-7601

mac
Mac is offline   Reply With Quote