Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 08-16-2011, 07:39 AM   #1
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
"Adding Window Blind Room Darkener"

Rather simple but very effective mod. I sometimes sleep during the day due to the way I work, with that I wanted to darken the B/R for sleeping during the daytime hours. With the Monty always parked at the house it gets used quite often. I purchased two room darkener blinds from Wally world and went to work. The larger window didn’t require anything special other than adjusting it to fit the window. I did have to remove the wooden valance to install it but that turned out to be an easy task. The blind for the smaller window however had to be only 14” wide and the adjustments made with the blinds wouldn’t adjust that small so it had to be cut smaller by hand. I pre cut the size of the material on the blind and then the tube only required two cuts using a hacksaw. The small window valance had to be readjusted so the pull blind would fit underneath it. The thing I like the best about this mod is that the blinds aren’t even seen unless they are pulled down into view. I installed them over the day & night shades that are already there. I didn't remove them. Another advantage is that it can be used to block any annoying lights we sometimes find shinning into the window at night. I only have about 25$-30$ in the blinds and hardware so it was a relatively inexpensive modification. Now on to the next project!

Old 08-16-2011, 08:30 AM   #2
trlrboy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7697
That's a great idea. DW always sleeps later than I do and she's been trying to figure out a way to keep the BR dark.
trlrboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 08:37 AM   #3
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110

Thanks, to make the room dark we also had to darken the sun-roof over the shower and cover the vents. We removed the inside cover and I placed batting over it with aluminum foil on the top half. We also use foam inside the vents with covers over them. Not only does it help to make the room darker it helps to keep it a lot cooler when it’s so hot. Best of all no more towels hanging over the valances!
Bill-N-Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 12:47 PM   #4
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
What a great idea. So tidy and unobtrusive when they are rolled up. I like it.
bob n pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 05:42 PM   #5
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
That is a great mod. Glad to know you can keep the day night shades.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 04:54 AM   #6
CasaDelSol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8563
As a former graveyard shift worker I can tell you that wearing eyeshades is a lot cheaper and just as effective. That being said....great job!!
CasaDelSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 01:21 PM   #7
Illini Trekker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2733
Great way to darken your bedroom. When I worked some nights I used that bubble wrap with a shiny surface on both sides cut to the size of the window and then lowered the day/night shades. We still use them on those HOT camping trips to block some heat and light!
Illini Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote