Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > On the Road Again
Click Here to Login

Old 03-22-2008, 04:55 AM   #1
Joe-n-Doe
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7870
Count-Down

10 days and a wake-up before we head out on our 70-80 day cross-country odyssey.

Took the K9HAUS to the dealer Wed for servicing and inspection.

Ordered my TPMS.

Ordered an EZ-Lift.

Ordered a surge guard.

Swung by AAA and got a bunch of maps and tour books.

Doris and I are starting to get itchy feet!

Joe-n-Doe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 01:39 PM   #2
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Ours is coming up in May. Heading to New England via Florida. Anticipation! Anticipation! Know the feeling.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 05:14 AM   #3
Joe-n-Doe
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7870
9 days and a wake-up

The EZ-Lift was delivered yesterday.

Waynem: Our New England via Chicago and the Canadian border is scheduled to begin in mid-August. The K9HAUS will get a workout this year.
Old 03-23-2008, 11:20 AM   #4
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Enjoy your trip. We're five years away from our first "extended" vacation. When you only get three weeks vacation, you're limited. I enjoy torturing myself reading about everyone's exploits. If you come through the Milwaukee area, give a shout.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 07:10 PM   #5
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Enjoy the trip, both of you. This is such a beautiful country.

If you post in the Who, Where, When section where you are or will be and when, we'll all watch and contact you when you get into our area.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 02:27 AM   #6
Joe-n-Doe
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7870
8 days and a wake-up.

My visiting BIL and I are going to play a round of golf today. It will help take my mind off the trip.

Planned stops during our trip:

Monument Valley
Moab area
Salt Lake City (gotta visit Mom and sisters)
Bryce and Zions
Las Vegas (visiting good friends)
Tucson (April 22-26 attending convention of Former Customs Special Agents)
Sedona area
San Diego area (visiting DD, GD, GS & friends)
Sequoia
Yosemite
Napa
Chico (GD graduating from Chico State)
Northern California Coast
Oregon Coast to Portland & Astoria (gotta visit 2 brothers and hook up with 2 sisters then 4 of us will caravan up the coast)
Washington Coast
Canada, Vancouver to Banff and Jasper
Glacier
Home
Back on street corner with sign around my neck letting all I will work for diesel.
Old 03-24-2008, 04:10 AM   #7
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Joe,
How are you getting from Fernandina Beach, FL to Monument Valley??
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 07:50 AM   #8
Joe-n-Doe
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7870
Wayne,

From FB we will take A1A west to Callahan to Hwy 301. We will then take 301 to Waycross, GA and from Waycross Hwy 82 west to Amarillo, TX. From Amarillo we will take I-40 into Arizona and then Hwy 191 into the Monument Valley area.
Old 03-25-2008, 07:51 AM   #9
Joe-n-Doe
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7870
7 days and a wake-up.

My BIL (visiting from Germany) and I went golfing yesterday. (First time since I fell of that ladder last May.) It helped take my mind off the trip.

Can't help but wonder why the dealership is taking so long with the K9HAUS. All they needed to do was drop and inspect the spare, trouble shoot the surround sound, and inspect the rig to ensure it is road worthy. I'm starting to get sweaty palms....
Old 03-25-2008, 08:16 AM   #10
illapah
Montana Master

M.O.C. #666
We will be in Glacier National Park area from late May to the end of September. Staying at North American RV Park for the third year. Highly recommend this park for the West side of the park. Say hi if you are in the area.
illapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 12:45 PM   #11
Joe-n-Doe
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7870
Illapah,

Don't know yet if we will stage out of the East or West side. What are your recommendations? We should be there sometime the second or third week of June.
Old 03-25-2008, 12:58 PM   #12
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
Joe,

I think you forgot to post Seward on your itinerary. When can we expect y'all?

Tammy
Icehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 01:37 PM   #13
illapah
Montana Master

M.O.C. #666
If you are looking for proximity to civilization and services, West is best. East is fairly primitive. I would recommend Saint Mary area for rigs of our size. East is essentially the Blackfeet Indian Reservation. It is one hour at highway speed from East Glacier to West Glacier (via hiway 2). There is little between East Glacier and Canada. At the time you are ariving, I don't know how much of the park will be accessable. Last year, the Going to the Sun Road didn't open until July first. The year before it was the last week in June. I hear that they have more snow this year than they have had in many years.

I just took a look at the park website:

Going-to-the-Sun Road Information

Spring plowing operations are about to begin in the park. Weather permitting we plan to open the alpine section (over Logan Pass) of the Going-to-the-Sun Road on June 13. Lower sections of the road may open earlier and the portion of the road between West Glacier and Lake McDonald Lodge is kept open year-round. http://www.nps.gov/glac/index.htm

What is your intended length of stay?
illapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 04:27 AM   #14
Joe-n-Doe
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7870
5 days and a wake-up.

Had to play tour and shopping director yesterday for my German BIL and missed the 6 day post. If any of you were in the military, stationed at or near Landstuhl, and bought any jewelery or grandfather clocks from Lenhardt's you may have met him or his wife.

Anyway....called the dealer and was told the K9HAUS would probably be ready for pick-up today or tomorrow. Still no word on the TPMS.

Tammy....As much as we enjoyed a cruise thru the inland passage, the 15 mile road trip from Cold Feet to Wiseman kind of changed our mind about making the drive up to Alaska.

Illapah....Thanks for the info! Depending on snow conditions, could be we will have to reconsider the Banff, Jasper, and Glacier segments of the trip and reschedule them for another time.
Old 03-28-2008, 12:28 PM   #15
Joe-n-Doe
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7870
4 days and a wake-up.

Picked up the K9HAUS from the dealer today. I don't know what others have experienced at Sun Coast Jacksonville, but they treated me right. Performed an overall inspection, fixed the surround sound to Doris' satisfaction, and dropped and inspected the spare tire all for NO cost.

Got the surge guard a couple of days ago. It is much bigger than I expected. I have fabricated a locking system using double strength 1" conduit hangers and had to bore out the bolt holes so a lock will fit. Anyway, I have these hasps on both ends locked to the surge guard. I will string a security cable thru them and attach them to double strength 2" conduit hanger that I will lock onto the CG power post. Total cost, including cable, was less than $10.
Old 03-28-2008, 02:55 PM   #16
Fire1
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8237
Send a message via AIM to Fire1
Good Luck with the trip. Keep us up to date on the trip.
Hope to be able to make one like that myself one day soon

Doug
Fire1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 03:33 AM   #17
Joe-n-Doe
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7870
2-days and a wake-up.

Between getting the K9HAUS and TV preped, other equipment ready for loading, and my German BIL's desire to play golf everyday I am working my butt off. The golf is beginning to strain the lower back...need to tell him I need a day off. (The local paper's Wed edition contains a $30.00 discount ticket for 18 holes and a cart...this is nothing to him and can't get enough of it.)

Took the TV in yesterday for oil change, tire rotation, and general inspection. Topped it off on the way home and it is good to go for Tuesday's departure.

Loaded the wine and beer. Tightened the compressor connections. Need to was the rig (got a bit dirty at the dealer-birds and streaks).

Called SafeTee Corp Thursday about my TPMS. Spoke with the Todd the owner. Todd seems like a real nice guy and admits being up to his butt with alligators in respect to getting the orders out. He spent 10 minutes talking to me, asked me all kind of questions about the trip. He was up front with me and told me there is no way he could get my order to me before I left. He offered to discount the purchase by $100.00. Kind of hard to say "No" to. They will ship it to my Mom's place.

The neighbor just called to inform me water is bubbling up in my side yard. Great..just what I needed.
Old 03-31-2008, 04:20 AM   #18
Joe-n-Doe
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7870
We are leaving tomorrow. Will spend the day loading the K9HAUS. Can't wait to hit the road!