Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Internet & Cell Phones
Click Here to Login

Old 06-09-2007, 05:04 PM   #1
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
WI-FI and what units work

as i have been using wi-fi now for 3 months what is a list of good units and what are junk as i have a linksys and i think its junk,, what are your thoughts john

sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 05:17 PM   #2
Countryfolks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #116
That's a pretty broad statement. What type of info are you wanting? Computers, adapter cards, phones, phone cards, antennas, ISP's? What problems are you having and why do you say the Linksys whatever is junk?

Skip
Countryfolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 05:21 PM   #3
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
well skip i use it only on the computer and i keep loosing the signal as i think some brands are stronger to hold the signal
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 05:23 PM   #4
firetrucker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2165
Most of our wireless routers are D-Link of the 802.11g variety. We do have an 'N' router, but most of the computers can't take advantage of it. I do have a Linksys that I'm playing with, and I think it's pretty good, but not my favorite. I've had trouble with NetGear in the past, but haven't heard of any particular problems with their current products. Belkin comes fairly well recommended, but I can't back that up. The biggest problem I've found is interference from just about everything wireless. Don't use 2.4 GHz phones if you have a wireless router. Also, try changing the channel if you're having problems and there's a chance of someone else being on the same channel. Most everyone leaves it on the default channel, and that will cause problems.

Encryption can sometimes obviously slow things down, but I wouldn't consider running without it. An external (USB) wireless adapter on an extension cable can often improve the signal significantly.

Bob
firetrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 06:34 PM   #5
Countryfolks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #116
John; I'm assuming you're talking about a PCMCIA card, a card you install in the side of a laptop. Signal loss can be caused by interference from other rf signal producing equipment, trees or other obstacles between you and the router [AP] that you are connecting to, the card itself [Linksys cards are actually pretty good], the cards internal internal antenna is not as good as an external antenna. location of the laptop in relation to the transmitting AP and a few more that I can't remember. If you have a pre-n card that may be the problem also, it may not be compatible with the AP. You may be at the outer edge of reception also. Like Bob said, you may be getting interference from others cause you're on the same channel as everyone else there.

Skip
Countryfolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 09:19 PM   #6
JH Sechelt
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4976
Anyone ever tried this out.

http://hfield.com/wifire.htm

Some friends, just bought one, but have not tried it yet.
If it does what they say, it would be great.

J&D
JH Sechelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 11:50 PM   #7
harleyrider
Montana Master

M.O.C. #627
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by JH Sechelt

Anyone ever tried this out.

http://hfield.com/wifire.htm

Some friends, just bought one, but have not tried it yet.
If it does what they say, it would be great.

J&D
It just so happens that I just got one of these bad boys.Wish i had it at the Pine Hill rally,even though Glenn`s worked pretty good.Easy install-just install the software and plug this into a open usb port.What a difference in signal strength.I was picking up wifi signals i din`t even know were near me.At home I usually pick up my router and another neighbors.With this hooked up i was getting 3 more signals.It really does make a big difference in signal strength.and available wifi.
harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 01:30 AM   #8
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Thanks John. Even though we do have the Verizon AirCard and router for our connection there are times where such a device could come in handy. Especially so when we don't have a higher speed broadband connection.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 03:32 AM   #9
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
We have a Linskys and have no problems with it. Works great. Although one area we were in...was very slow. Wouldn't work properly because of weak signal. Working great now. Not being near a broad band can make a difference too.
Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 02:13 PM   #10
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I've used both LinkSys and D-Link equipment over the years. They're both good and both are well-known brands.

The wifire thing looks very interesting.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 03:23 AM   #11
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
I am using a SMC Networks card. I have both Linksys and Orinoco cards, and neither will compare to the SMC. That is not saying it is the best out there, it has just worked better in comparison to the other two I have. I don't have the external antenna for the Orinoco card, and wish I did just to see what it would do.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 04:34 AM   #12
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
I don't think there is anything wrong with Linksys, but reception through whatever antenna is provided may be a problem. I started using a Hawking USB adapter. I like this one because:
a) You can use it with a USB extension cord to find a good reception location, or
b) You can remove the supplied antanna and attach a variety of higher gain inside or outside antennas.

I have not used it, but I also think the SMC card with an external antenna must also be a good option, if only because that is the brand Flying J sell to support their WiFi Service. I figure they probably looked for something reliable to sell to their trucker customers.

At best, I'm afraid WiFi is a less than perfect technology, much depends on the service providers set-up. It probably works fine in an office or coffee shop environment, but in a campground setting, there are just so many variables to contend with.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 06:23 AM   #13
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We also use the Verizon air card and router all over the country.90% of the time we have very good signal strength and good speed We are now at a KOA in Custer, SD. We are using the KOA wifi as the antenna is about 20 feet from the camper and we get a strong signal.On the other hand the verizon aircard with the antenna on the router gets a very low signal and will drop out. We put the wilson external antenna on the top ladder rung and we get a steady but ,low verizon signal, speed marginal.You have to consider distance from the tower (signal strength) then the type of service offered by verizon in the area..you may not always get broadband speed... You can increase the signal strength with a external antenna or other device but that does not increase the upload/downlod speed.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote