Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 02-04-2015, 04:24 AM   #1
DmaxDually
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14092
New Replacement RV Mattress Review

This post might be kind of long but I just replaced my mattress and I am going to post my review to hopefully help anybody thinking about replacing theirs but are not sure what to buy. This is only my opinion and experiance on the mattress I purchased.I am not pushing,endorsing or knocking any brand. A mattress is a very personal purchase and is specific to eash persons needs and comforts. What works for one doesn't work for others. Ok now that the disclaimer is out of the way...
I am not a full timer and right now I am a weekend and vacation camper. I own a 2012 3750FL with a king (72 x 80) mattress. As we all know for the most part the factory mattreses (and mine had the upgraded one)are not confortable to be putting it mildly. My first mattress decision was easy I know I didn't want a sleep number or an adjustable bed. Nothing against them they great beds I just didn't want or need one. My second decision was did I want an RV mattress or a residential mattress? Luckly my friends just replaced their mattress in their RV. They went to a mattress store and bought a nice residentail mattress which they say is very confortable. The only issue they relized after buying and putting it in the RV is the weight and flexiblity of the mattress to give a little when accessing the storage compartment. Now both of them have to be their to lift and hold the mattress up to access the storage underneath which they now say is a PITA not to mention a safety issue where it can come down on one of them. I know there are ways to address this but I didn't want to deal with it. I decided to go with a memory foam mattress because I have a memory foam topper at home and love it.I started my on line research into RV & Memory foam matresses. After a lot of reading and many different website visits and a lot of positive feedback and reviews on different RV forums by previous customers and owners of mattresses I decided to purchase from Mattress Insider. I am a very skeptical person and was leary about buying a mattress on line without trying it. But after pouring over their website and doing google searches about them I found mostly very positive results. I looked over their products and decided on a custom made 75 X 80 non radius corners, 8" Luxury Cool-Max Gel Foam RV Mattress. It is made up of 5 different layers. 1st A Premium Plush Cool-MAX Removable Cover (Double Sided).2nd A 1" Plush Comfort Layer of 4 LB Certipurus Cool-Gel Foam. 3rd A 2" Cushion Firm Transition Layer of 3 LB Bio Based Certipurus Soy V3 Cool- Visco(what ever that is). 4th A 1.5" Cushion Firm Cradle Contour Rapid Air-Flow Foam and 5th A 3.5" of Firm HD Soy Bio Support Foam. Their mattresses are made in the U.S. with U.S.manufactured components.They have very very fast free shipping. I was going on a camping trip in 2 weeks and they gauranteed me I would have it before then. They manufactured and shipped it asap and I received it 2 day before my trip. I bought it to my RV, unboxed it and let it expand for a day. They said it fully expands and you can sleep on it after 3 hrs but I had the time. Well after me and my GF slept on it for 3 night all I can say is that I am very very satified with it. I sleep on my stomach and is right in the middle on firmness and softness. It is not to soft were you sink in and have a hard time getting out and it is not too firm were you feel like you are sleeping on a board. I am 6'1" 240 Lbs.I can get on this mattress with my knees( like I am crawling into bed) and my knees come no where close to feeling the plywood underneath at all. They said the mattress is designed to support two 250 lb people sleeping in it and I believe them.You can't even feel the other person getting in or out of bed or moving around at all in it. It is made for an RV so the weight is perfect. I can lift it to access my storage with one hand and let it go. The lift cylinders have no problem keeping it open with a positive force.You have to push it down to over come the spring force to start it to close and hold it so it won't slam closed.
I would like to say that I am very very happy with this mattress and will definatly buy from them again without a second thought. They also make mattresses for the fold out couch in the RV. I will be buying one from them in the future and ditching the air mattress. I hope this was helpfull. Like I said this is only my opinion on this perticular matteress and you know what they say about opinions....

Old 02-04-2015, 05:17 AM   #2
K0LCB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13395
I am glad you found a mattress you can enjoy! Get out and camp more
K0LCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 06:13 AM   #3
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
Certainly you have found a decent upgrade to the rv matt you had. It will be interesting to see how it stands up over the long haul. Our neighbor at the lake bought one of those mattresses that cam compressed in a small package last year. I was skeptical until I saw it expanded a while later, enjoy!
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 07:17 AM   #4
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
DmaxDually, you will not be disappointed, or at least I hope not. We bought the exact same mattress twice from those folks. The first one was for our 2008 and it was a queen. The most recent one was for our current Montana, which is a king. The 8" cool-gel is the only way to go.

We were full time with the first one and it held up great. We have been full time with this one now for over a year and it is still like new. I have never slept on a more comfortable mattress.
Old 02-04-2015, 09:51 AM   #5
DmaxDually
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14092
Thanks all, I'm sure I will be very satisfied with it and if I didn't have to work I definately would be camping more...
Old 02-04-2015, 11:15 AM   #6
cdaniels
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7380
Just curious how u can ditch the air mattress and use the foam one and close up the couch. We tried it just with a mattress topper and no way can u close it up in the coach. I wish u could, I also am no ya blow up mattress fan.
cdaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 12:01 PM   #7
DmaxDually
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14092
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by cdaniels

Just curious how u can ditch the air mattress and use the foam one and close up the couch. We tried it just with a mattress topper and no way can u close it up in the coach. I wish u could, I also am no ya blow up mattress fan.
That's exactly what I was thinking. How could you close the couch? I didn't look into it yet or give them a call.When I was on their web site looking at mattesses for my RV I noticed that they also make sofa bed mattresses. Since I wasn't looking for one at the time I didn't look into it. I just put it in the back of my mind for future reference. I will give them a call and ask them about it.
Old 02-04-2015, 12:09 PM   #8
DmaxDually
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14092
I just found this note on their website:
Note: This sofa bed mattress measures a standard height of 4.5". If your current mattress is between 4" to 5" thick, this mattress should fit just fine. However, if your existing mattress is less than 4" thick, this mattress may not fold into your sofa. If this is the case, please call for a quote on a custom size.
Since our couches are designed to use a removable air mattress maybe they are not designed to fold with a regular sofa bed mattress in it. I will asked them when I call.
Old 02-04-2015, 02:12 PM   #9
akf15e
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9143
Dmax - thank you for the information. We recently got a Tempurpedic in our home due to the Mrs and I having lots of back pain. It is fantastic and just what the doctor ordered. Unfortunately it highlights even more how terrible the stock mattress in the Montana is, even with the gel foam we've added on top. I am good for about 3 nights and then the back pain starts. As we are spending more and more time in the rig now that my wife is retired, it is becoming a real issue. Your post is very timely and helpful. We are starting to search for a new rig, with the Montana 3440 and Big Sky 382 and one SOB as finalists. I may try to negotiate a better mattress or at least a credit. Would you mind sharing the approx $$?

Thanks!
akf15e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 11:08 PM   #10
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
Quote:

I thought we were talking about the main bedroom mattress? Did I miss something?
Old 02-05-2015, 01:38 AM   #11
Virginia Young
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14096
akf15e - FYI - We have the Big Sky 382 and are very pleased with the mattress that came in it. Our 3900FB Montana had a HORRIBLE one. We didn't last 3 nights and traded it out for a memory foam.
Virginia Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 01:43 AM   #12
akf15e
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9143
Thanks Steve and Gina. We are going to look at a 382 tomorrow. I'll be sure to give the mattress a good look.
akf15e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 02:09 AM   #13
mazboy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9561
Dmax, PLEASE use many more paragraphs......very hard to read.

but,glad you like your mattress, i think that is what your message said.
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 03:46 AM   #14
DmaxDually
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14092
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mazboy

Dmax, PLEASE use many more paragraphs......very hard to read.

but,glad you like your mattress, i think that is what your message said.
Sorry about that. I didn't want the post to take up 2 pages so I was trying to keep it as condensed as possible.
Yes, I am very happy with my mattress..
Old 02-05-2015, 04:22 AM   #15
oldelmer1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10758
With the added weight, watch those rollers on the bottom of the frame, they will start to dig into the carpet. At least that's what happened to ours. I put the 6 inch carpet sliders under the rollers so the slider slides over the carpet instead of the 1/2 inch roller.
oldelmer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 05:04 AM   #16
TAKPAK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8238
In our 3725, the factory king mattress was hideous, to say the least. We also have a Temperpedic memory foam at home, so went looking for one for the RV. Neighbor had bought one from a local company called Park Lane mattresses. They make an RV line of mattresses, so we ordered one. What a difference. We sleep really good now!
2015 GMC Sierra 4X4 3500 SRW
TAKPAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 06:19 AM   #17
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The mattress in our 06 and the 13 were unfit to sleep on. We had the bear bed in our 06 3400 and have the Sleep number in this 13 big sky.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 04:21 PM   #18
DmaxDually
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14092
Quote:

cdaniels,
I have not opened my couch or looked at the frame yet.Is the folding frame on our RV couches different from the frames on the sofa beds in our homes? I don't know.
I emailed Dixie Norris at Mattress Insider and asked her about replacing the air mattress in the RV sofa with one of their RV sofa mattresses. Would it fit? Below is her response with video links on how to measure for a mattress and if it fit.

Regarding your question about the RV Sofa Bed: Please take a moment to watch the following videos, which will show you how to measure your sofa bed mechanism to see what size mattress will fit.

Here is the link to the video on how to measure the length and width of your sofa bed mattress:

And, here is the link to the video on how to make sure a standard 4.5" mattress will fit into your sofa:

Also, here is another link to help with any other questions that may arise while measuring your sofa mattress:
http://www.mattressinsider.com/the-i...-mattress.html

Kind Regards,

Dixie Norris
MattressInsider.com
Old 02-05-2015, 04:27 PM   #19
DmaxDually
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14092
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by oldelmer1

With the added weight, watch those rollers on the bottom of the frame, they will start to dig into the carpet. At least that's what happened to ours. I put the 6 inch carpet sliders under the rollers so the slider slides over the carpet instead of the 1/2 inch roller.
Will do.Thanks for the heads up.
Old 08-05-2015, 06:56 PM   #20
Preston & Terri
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14645
Dmax, I am curious to know how well the mattress fit into the dresser slideout considering it's 3 inches wider?
Retired FULLTIMERS that Travel & Work -- 2020 3931FB Legacy Edition -- OEM Sailun S637T's -- 2017 F350 DRW, 4.10 axle, 6.7L -- PullRite OE Puck Super-5th 25K hitch -- Dish Network w/ Winegard G2 automatic portable antenna -- 50A Surge Guard portable -- WiFi Ranger Elite -- Blue Streak -- YourBestAddress.com -- RVSA Certified Technician -- The UnBeetable Experience
Preston & Terri is offline   Reply With Quote