Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 06-30-2007, 12:25 PM   #1
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Observations concerning fast food servers..

Earlier this week, I had lunch via a drive through Taco stand, I gave the girl a $10.00 bill and $.38 in change, for a $7.38 lunch total, she gave me back $2.00.... I told her I gave her the amount of money that should result in my receiving 3ea. $1.00 bills, she looked at me like I just landed from Mars, didn't have a clue.
She did give me the correct amount of money after my insistence.
Today, I got lunch at Kentucky Fried Chicken, when my order was ready, the girl put the bag of food on the counter and looked the other way, telling me here's your order... When did it become socially acceptable to look the other way when speaking to a customer?? Not the first time this happened, seems to be a trend in some circles.
How can they expect to advance in life, and life's work, when the basic social guidelines are not followed??
Mumble mumble........

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 01:02 PM   #2
Chuck and Carol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1011
Having worked in a high school and then elem. school, welcome to the generation who will be taking care of us as we age.

Scarey huh????

Carol
Chuck and Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 01:07 PM   #3
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Ozz,
This couldn't have been the first time you've noticed this. It's been going on ever since they allowed calculators in school rather than having students due long division, ratios, etc. Most of the time, when I encounter a young cashier who does that to me, I ask them if they would kindly count out the change for me so I can be sure I was getting the correct change. Duh? They don't know how to do it. But most of the older cashiers, if they're not real busy, will count out change.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 02:04 PM   #4
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
This is our changed school system at work. Have any of you ever watched Jay Leno's "jay walking" He ask history and common questions to people on the street. One night this week.... no one knew what year we won our independence or who from. One person said Greece! Most didn't even know what year, One said 1929!!! None of them had the correct answers. Not one!!!
The only person who answered all questions correctly was a "grandpa" who was with his grown kids and grandkids.
Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 02:35 PM   #5
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
The problem is in our schools we now have to spend all of our time getting ready for tests so we know how bad we are. The old "Playing Store" where they learned to count is gone because now all these kids are "going to college". We (education system) don't dare prepare them for anything less than a triple digit career at 25. We also spend a lot of time testing to see if the kids are ESL or fluent in English and then a lot of time teaching them English. Sorry, I worked in schools for 25+ years and saw the decline in the system and the money being spent. I'll get off my soap box now.
Happy trails.....................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 03:17 PM   #6
DonandBonnie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5906
Bonnie went into a store a while back. After ringing up the purchase, the power failed as the receipt was printing out. Everything was on the receipt except the amount of change to be returned. The girl behind the counter refused to complete the sale because no change was shown. Her actions were backed by her supervisor. Boy, are we heading into serious trouble!

Our education system spends so much time sheltering a child's ego, instead of teaching life skills, that once they get into the real world they can't cope.
DonandBonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 03:20 PM   #7
trukdoc
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2220
Send a message via MSN to trukdoc
In kids sports and at school they are taught there are no losers. Sorry to inform them but in life there are losers. And a clerk behind the counter that does not have the skills to get away from it and move on to something better, they lost.
trukdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 03:50 PM   #8
mountainmole
Established Member

M.O.C. #4562
Couldn't agree with you all more. I learned to count back change in school more than a few years ago. My son just graduated high school with a 3.9, voted Student of the Year, (I'm not just braging) and if it wasn't for his envolvement in a family business, he wouldn't have known. BUT kids are very trainable. We are now helping a new family that just bought our business and their 9 year, with encouragement and help, can now count back change (including $100 bills) with no aid from a cash register. Stay involved.
mountainmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 09:50 PM   #9
clutch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7329
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Parrothead

The problem is in our schools we now have to spend all of our time getting ready for tests so we know how bad we are. The old "Playing Store" where they learned to count is gone because now all these kids are "going to college". We (education system) don't dare prepare them for anything less than a triple digit career at 25. We also spend a lot of time testing to see if the kids are ESL or fluent in English and then a lot of time teaching them English. Sorry, I worked in schools for 25+ years and saw the decline in the system and the money being spent. I'll get off my soap box now.
Happy trails.....................

After 38 years in the school house I have to agree with your comment. All we would get at staff meetings was teaching to the tests. It got to the point that each lesson taught had to apply to something on the Idaho test. Apparently the test doesn't ask students to count change so they don't need to know how. I got so fed up I just couldn't stay any longer.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 06:28 AM   #10
Tom Gina 06
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5993
Not hard to believe when we pay the administrations the big bucks. Thus leaving a pitence of a wage for the actual people responsible for teaching our kids and then cut all the programs for the kids to justify those administrators wages. Sorry state of affairs this country is facing with the corperate world attitude spilling over into every aspect of our society. Sorry this subject gets my goat so I better shut up now and no I am not a teacher just feel their pain having them as friends!

Tom Gina 06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 06:54 AM   #11
Countryfolks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #116
Ya got to take into account that the folks working in these places are mostly "lost souls". The ones that can make change ,etc. have better jobs and we don't have much direct contact with them.

Skip
I guess I'm maintaining an old tradition. It seem the older I get, the more incompetent the young get.
Countryfolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 11:50 AM   #12
tom41
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6363
Guess if I was a young family with kids I would try to home school them. But now a days with both hubby and wife working that would be out of the question. All us oldies can do is look up and pray and thank God we were borned when we were! And that some @!%# dont spit in our food at the drive thru! ewwww!
tom41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 12:49 PM   #13
Hemlockusa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4766
Tom41 and the rest are all hitting the nail on the head. The Schools have turned into LARGE BABY SITTING facilities. The main function in most are SPORTS, they don't have to count change, to hit a ball....I would like to blame this on someone....Who.....Oh I am looking in a mirror. If we, as the adults don't start taking the school administration to task, shame on us.... I am wondering right now who will be bringing my oatmeal and spoon, to the little grungy room they throw me in???? Who will be carrying out nations flag to the top of the Mountain??????? and they will """"'VOTE""""" SOON.......
Hemlockusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 01:06 PM   #14
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We are now almost entirely dependent on the computer . Example I do not need to know how to spell to do this post, The spell checker will do it for me...Each generation has thought that the up next generation would lead us to ruin..but we survive generation after generation. For some unknown reason my grand children are far smarter than I was at their age. In my day it could take a hour to do a math problem on my trusty slide rule..My grand kid can do it in about 30 seconds..who is smarter ???? In my day I had little information available to me..now I have all the knowledge of mankind at my fingertips in seconds. The good old days are gone and they were never all that good..I know..I was there..We live in a high tech age that continualy advances ..I like it.Can't wait to see what the future will bring.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 02:43 PM   #15
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
[quote]Originally posted by richfaa

We are now almost entirely dependent on the computer . Example I do not need to know how to spell to do this post, The spell checker will do it for me...Each generation has thought that the up next generation would lead us to ruin..but we survive generation after generation.

----------------------------

I agree with Rich here. The computer has made us a nation that doesn't need libraries, or spelling bees, or competent teachers to teach the basics as we as the older generation had that opportunity. It may be that those basics just aren't necessarily needed.

I shudder when I see the older generation who are not able to write a sensible sentence or punctuate properly. Don't get me started on the use of words like then/than, your/you're, this/these ....computers just can't fix these common mistakes. Maybe this isn't important anymore.

The older generation has some responsibility here too, we gave our kids computers, and they see the world through those computing eyes. Smart computer kids don't buy music, books or anything else that is accessible through the internet. Most youngsters don't even buy from local stores, they can get everything cheaper on eBay or do comparison shopping with their fingers.

When learning, we use the tools we are given. Can we blame the younger generation for not being able to count back change? I now throw my change in a jar, it is not worth that much, anyway.

Hmm, maybe I can buy a new computer with that change!

simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 02:49 PM   #16
rickety
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4855
AAARGHHH!!!!! DON'T GET ME STARTED. The school systems in the US suck!! BIGTIME!!! The teachers want to look like the students, so they (the students) will be more comfortable. the students want to look like gangers, so they (the students) will be accepted, The superintendents are busy attending time wasting, money wasting non eseential meetings, and the principals are no where to be found! the teachers are not respected because they don't earn it, they do not try to be models, they try to "one of the guys". Teachers should be professionals and look like it. they should not allow Brain subs (calcualtors) in the classrooms. This encourages a button pushing mentality not a problem solving mentality. NO PHONES, AT ANY TIME ANYWHERE ON CAMPUS, NO CALCULATORS ANY TIME, NO MP3 PLAYERS, POP, CANDY, GUM OR ANYTHING THAT WILL DISTRACT THE STUDENT FROM THE REASON FOR BEING THERE , LEARNING. Teachers are NOT babysitters, the school is not a day care center and the grounds are not rutting pits for students.

AAAARRRGGGGHHH!!! told ya, don't get me started
rickety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 03:50 PM   #17
trukdoc
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2220
Send a message via MSN to trukdoc
Richfaa you are right they are getting smarter.....BUT do they have the first idea how to use this intelligence in a practical manner. Ask corporate america why they are outsoarceing white collar jobs to other countries and being invaded by illeagle's. Somebody has to DO the work not just whine about working. There seems to be a small percentage of our young generation that has any concept of work and even less work ethics. Bible warns of seperation of classes, I think most people believe we will be divided by an entity like the government. We are doing it to ourselves.
trukdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 03:53 PM   #18
Countryfolks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #116
"We have met the enemy and he is us."

Skip
Countryfolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 04:17 PM   #19
tom41
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6363
Rick you got that right on! also I kinda liked the good old days when I was brought up. My Dad had his farm, and he made sure I knew what work was.But he also gave me something that most kids dont get today, is "A DAD" he taught me how to fish, hunt, swim, and work for what I got. how to share and help those in need, and not with just money but love and kindness. We didnt have a lot of money, but had our families, and plenty of food, (we grew our own) But on the bright side there are a lot of young people that does have values and good morals, I have some nephews and neices to prove it. But my sisters raise them well, they worked for what they got. and was taught to respect others. Like what the others have said, its all in how we were brought up, and its up to "us" to guide the young. Wonder why the politicians cant see this and set good examples? Just think, if Ms Hilton had been made to clean some of them hotel rooms she might have turned out different!
tom41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 04:28 PM   #20
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
My grandfather did not think much of my Fathers generation,My Father did not think much of my generation, I did not think much of my kids generation now I hear my kids saying.. this generation sucks.. It has been that way generation after generation....yet we survive.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote