Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 02-27-2005, 12:52 PM   #21
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
mjcjctroy-
This is an excellent post on what you had to do for the remote/stat problem that has been addressed so many times since I joined the forum just a month ago. We have a 3295RK on the way and this is the one thing that I am dreading. I confronted the dealer with the info that has been posted here and the answer was "I have not heard any problems about the cooling/heating control system", don't think he even wants to acknowdledge it. I printed out your solution along with some of the other complaints and will present it to him at time of walk-thru. Hopefully with this information and if mine has the same problem, it will be a lot easier road for me to travel as you and others have already paved the way......thanks again for the post.

Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 01:46 PM   #22
Montana_2730
Established Member

M.O.C. #2730
The infrared remote control system is made by a third party, not made by Dometic. You will find the same remote system on Carrier systems and it is not made by Carrier. It is made by a company who use to be a member of the Carrier family. This company was recently sold and makes AC and Heating controls for many different company's. You can even find the remote in Camping World catalog with Carrier stamped on it. You can change your system to a conventional thermostat with some doing. There are three components that make up the infrared system. 1ST is the remote, 2ND is the receiver on your wall, 3RD is the main brain box just behind your AC filter. It is this printed circuit board and the wall receiver that have to be changed to go to a more conventional system.

When you remove the AC cover you will see the housing which covers the board main printed circuit board for the Infrared system. You'll recognize this housing because the phone cable from the receiver on the wall plugs into it. From here your wiring is a follows. There are two wires which go down to your furnace (very small wires). The 110 volt AC goes into one side of the board and the at the other side is just your normal AC pigtails. The schematic is on the housing. This system is a third party system capable of running anyones AC/Furnace. A good RV technician should be able to put a normal control board and thermostat after removing this board.

Montana_2730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 02:08 PM   #23
Montana_2730
Established Member

M.O.C. #2730
Correction to previous post I meant to say remote at Camping World has Coleman stamped on it. Here is a link to Coleman site decribing their system.

http://www.rvcomfort.com/rvp/whats_n...play.php?id=22
Montana_2730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 02:25 PM   #24
mjcjtroy
Established Member

M.O.C. #1969
Charlie-
You are very welcome. If we can help further just let us know. It was such a frustating time so if we can give info that will help others that will make us very happy. We really like our 3295RK and especially now that it has a "normal" thermostat.
mjcjtroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 03:12 PM   #25
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mjcjtroy

We tried everything that Keystone and Dometic told us to do.
That post has great information!!! I think I will be on the phone to Dometic first thing tomorrow.

If I understand you right, the new system still uses the existing telephone wire connection. Changing that wire was the thing that scared me off trying to do something like this on my own.
Thanks for the post.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 05:18 PM   #26
mjcjtroy
Established Member

M.O.C. #1969
Thanks to everyone who has replied. If you are having problems with your remote system don't give up on getting it replaced. We knew from the beginning that there was something wrong with ours and it caused us a lot of grief. We were ready to sell our Montana and give up on the whole idea of RVing. Everything is looking good, now. Here's to the good life!
Old 02-28-2005, 06:31 AM   #27
Broome101
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1832
I have called Dometic today they are sending me the comfort control center and board to switch out myself. I assume this is something electrical mined person can do?
Broome101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 08:55 AM   #28
mjcjtroy
Established Member

M.O.C. #1969
Since neither of us is electrical minded I really can't say. However, it didn't take very long for our guy to do it and they do send directions for the wiring that needs to be done in the air conditioning unit. If you need more info we could give you the phone # of our local dometic rep.
Old 02-28-2005, 10:49 AM   #29
Broome101
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1832
Mjcjtroy If you don't mind, I hate to have to pull this thing to dealer to have done if I can do it myself, Thanks.
Broome101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 03:39 PM   #30
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mjcjtroy
[ Here are the part #'s -Duo Therm Comfort Control Center #3109228.001.
Does the Comfort Control Center have provision for programing different temperatures at different times of day? I have looked at Dometic's web site, but it is not too clear on that point.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 03:44 PM   #31
mjcjtroy
Established Member

M.O.C. #1969
The Comfort Control that we have cannot be programed. Not sure if they have one that can, However, we are very happy with what we have and the temp in our trailer is much more consistent.
Old 03-01-2005, 01:32 AM   #32
mazeeff
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2055
Here is a link to the Duo Therm Comfort Control Center service manual. The installation looks easy. It looks like it uses the existing telephone cable that we have with the remote unit. Simply replace the control board in the roof unit, and replace the wall thermostat.

http://bryantrv.com/docs.html
mazeeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 03:05 AM   #33
mjcjtroy
Established Member

M.O.C. #1969
Thanks, Mike. We will put this in our files for future use if needed.
Old 03-01-2005, 01:01 PM   #34
Montana_3194

M.O.C. #3194
WE are new to the forum and don't yet have the Montana 2955 we think we want to start full timing this fall. Somewhat distressed by the direction this particular remote thermostat discussion went before it has apparently generated a good fix. It seems to me that if your heater fan in your new Ford malfuntions, you don't pull it out to find out who built it so that you can go to them, you go to your Ford dealer of Ford central - especially if the problem is affecting many Ford owners.

I am just really disappointed that Keystone apparently didn't do nearly enough to solve this wide spread very serious problem with their product. Has diminished my enthusiasm for going with the Keystone product. Any thoughts?

On the other hand, it is so encouraging to see so many talented folks so willing to help out and offer encouragement.

We are SO ANXIOUS to get started!! DMW
Montana_3194 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 01:21 PM   #35
mazeeff
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2055
Called Dometic (1-800-544-4881) yesterday to ask about the upgrade kit. Talked to Pat. Answered a few questions about what had been replaced and tried. Answered all the questions properly, and was told that I would be sent a free kit. The kit arrived today! What service. The kit includes a Duo-therm comfort control system digital thermostat (Part # 3109228.001), and a "Electric Kit" (part # 3109226.005). The install looks pretty straight forward. Simply remove the exisitng remote wall unit, and plug the rj11 telephone jack into the back of the new thermostat, and mount on the wall. Replace the control board in the ceiling A/C unit, and you are good to go. The control board has connections for the rj11 cable, furnace, 110V, 12V, and freeze control. Looks to me like it would take about an hour to replace the whole thing. I will be attempting the upgrade this weekend. I'll post detailed results on Sunday. Here are pictures of everything that came in the kit.

http://tinypic.com/1zfz7s
http://tinypic.com/1zfzae
http://tinypic.com/1zfzet
http://tinypic.com/1zfzgj
http://tinypic.com/1zfzhs
http://tinypic.com/1zfzir
Old 03-01-2005, 02:05 PM   #36
mjcjtroy
Established Member

M.O.C. #1969
Wow, that was fast! Looks exactly like ours. Good luck this weekend.
Old 03-01-2005, 05:05 PM   #37
fulltimedreamer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #919
Glad to see you get such prompt service. I hope that the others that are having similar problems will get prompt relief as well. Our Airconditioner on our Monty quit last fall due to a factory defect and Dometic sent a new very quickly. I am impressed with their customer service.
fulltimedreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 07:54 AM   #38
campbud
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3142
Can we call and get one of these? Or if the unit is still under warranty can the dealer do it? I think this looks much better and alot easier to figure out!
campbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 09:20 AM   #39
mazeeff
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2055
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by campbud

Can we call and get one of these? Or if the unit is still under warranty can the dealer do it? I think this looks much better and alot easier to figure out!
They never asked me anything about the year of the unit, or whether or not it was under warrenty. I had the vin # ready, but they never asked for it. The service rep did need to talk to the supervisor to get approval for sending the unit, but that took all of 30 seconds. The key is to be prepared to answer of their questions the right way. She asked the following.

1. Had I read the manual!
2. How many times had I been to the dealer to get this fixed?
3. Was all of the exisiting "remote" equipment replaced?
4. Did I try the "I Feel" function?

Old 03-02-2005, 09:59 AM   #40
campbud
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3142
I put a call into them and they said the dealer would have to give them a call to discuss it. So it is up to the dealer and them now. Maybe to many calls about this ..He did give me the upgrade parts numbers. They are the same ones in your photos....You will have to let us know if this is better. Thanks for posting this.
campbud is offline   Reply With Quote