Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Closed Thread

Old 10-19-2017, 06:00 PM   #21
MARK A
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18157
“Those that hammer their guns into plows, will plow for those that do not.”

I am never very far from a weapon of some kind I don’t care where I am.

Mark

Old 10-19-2017, 06:03 PM   #22
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
What about long guns, shotguns and bolt action rifles? Our customers carry bench rest rifles all over the country, but what is the law in these gun restricted states.
For those of you who are interested in accurate rifles you should look up a BR rifle match. These guns and shooters are awesome. The 100 yard record for 5 shots center to center is .0077 of an inch. Folks that is less than the thickness of 3 human hairs, one round hole.
Lynwood
Old 10-19-2017, 06:14 PM   #23
Idalogger52
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20651
Unfortunately that’s true. No matter what deterrent you use, mace, pepper spray, taser, stun gun , knife, baseball bat,hammer or firearm, in this screwed up society you will probably get sued and maybe even charged with a felony crime. So what’s the answer? Roll over and hope they don’t kill you and rape your wife? Or defend yourself and your family and take a chance on the repercussions? Seems to me that the victims are screwed either way. A sad situation!
Old 10-19-2017, 07:09 PM   #24
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
What Idalogger52 is unfortunately true. Pull a gun and you ruin your vacation pull the trigger and you probably have ruined several years of your life. The guy you just shot was hopped up on drugs had a rap sheet a mile long and threading to kill no trying to kill you but when his poor old mother or wife sues you he was the most wonderful person on earth. If he was trying to steal something just let him have it. If you bought it once you can buy it again or do without it. I know you would love to shoot the SOB but it not worth it.
Lynwood
Old 10-19-2017, 07:43 PM   #25
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Can't agree. If it comes down to defending myself or family i'll be judged by 12 and he'll be carried by 6.
Old 10-19-2017, 09:36 PM   #26
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
Quote:
Originally Posted by prndl View Post
Responsible gun owners know the law and where to get the information needed to comply. Do not rely on hearsay or internet stories.

Use the app that will let you know the specific laws on gun carry, reciprocity, transport etc of every state. The app is updated almost daily which tells me what I know as fact today might not be applicable tomorrow.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ccw-...443321291?mt=8

There are probably other resources available online.
I agree.
I believe that each person needs to understand what their risk tolerance is and what measures they will take to apply it.
Old 10-19-2017, 10:15 PM   #27
topjustice
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19835
Quote:
Originally Posted by richfaa View Post
I was on a jury, Civil case were a individual has already been convicted of a felony. He was suing the women who shot him in the doorway of her home while he was attempting to enter and attack her daughter a former girlfriend. She nearly blew his arm off with a 12 gauge shotgun and he was suing her for damages. We were not permitted to know at the time of the trial that he was convicted of a felony that involved the daughter but it was obvious without actually saying it in court....He lost.
I should hope he lost. I'd do the same except he would be in no shape to sue.
Old 10-20-2017, 03:55 AM   #28
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Hi

It has been reported that the excise of your right to free travel thru states under the constitution can cost you many dollars and many days of travel time. The refusal to submit to a search can be used as probable cause to detain until a warrant can be applied for. Even if the warrant is denied you will pay all cost associated with the towing and impounding of your vehicles.

Phil P
If you get a page not available then remove the "s" after HTTP
Old 10-20-2017, 04:44 AM   #29
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
Generally speaking, probable cause is needed for an officer to search your vehicle. I know on TV drama shows when someone refuses to consent to a search the police threaten to get, or do get the search warrant based on that refusal, but in the real world just because you refuse to allow a search of your vehicle is not probable cause for a Judge to issue a search warrant.

There are really two sides to the issue of carrying a firearm in your RV. If you don't know the laws in the state you are traveling through then you should probably leave it in the fiver, or keep it out of reach, unloaded, and encased in the tow vehicle. This would apply when you are driving down the highway.

When you are set up camping everything changes. You are living in your fiver and there are certain constitutional rights attached to that just like you were in a sticknbrick. The level of probable cause is going to have to be pretty high for any police officer to get a search warrant and come in to find a gun.

I'm basing my opinions on the last 3 years of work prior to retirement. I was a UC in a metro drug unit and we did not go to State's Attorney's for our search warrants. We wrote them ourselves and went directly to a Judge for approval and issuance. Needless to say all of the UC's in our unit were well trained and educated on current search and seizure.
Old 10-20-2017, 12:10 PM   #30
topjustice
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19835
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
Hi

It has been reported that the excise of your right to free travel thru states under the constitution can cost you many dollars and many days of travel time. The refusal to submit to a search can be used as probable cause to detain until a warrant can be applied for. Even if the warrant is denied you will pay all cost associated with the towing and impounding of your vehicles.

Phil P
Sorry but everything you said is wrong. I don't mean to insult you but please consult an expert on these matter if you believe what you say is true.
Old 10-20-2017, 04:40 PM   #31
prndl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19630
Quote:
Hi

Phil P
Take a drive north bound up the east side of the Salton Sea and tell me about probable cause when you MUST pass the video cameras, radiation sensors, and other assorted sensors and then the bad attitude agents at the miles from the border in the middle of nowhere inspection station. You WILL be treated and inspected like an escaped felon without cause. BTW this is not an ag inspection either.
Old 10-20-2017, 05:05 PM   #32
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I have been traveling with a firearm for many, many years way before CCP way before strict firearm laws. We keep informed of the various laws in the various States we travel in now. We have never had a problem of any kind in regards to a firearm. We have been stopped at safety inspections in rest areas around the country . We have never been asked if we have a firearm. We have never in all these years been in a situation were we feared for our safety . If we felt that our lives or the lives of loved ones were in danger we would use whatever force necessary to protect ourselves. We are a fairly good shot and the bad guy targets we fire on at the range have the middle of the torso outlined.That is were I shoot.The probabilities that we will ever be in a situation were deadly force is required is slim . We are prepaired but not paranoid .
Old 10-20-2017, 05:11 PM   #33
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Prepared but not paranoid.
Rich that's a great way to put it.
Lynwood
Old 10-20-2017, 05:15 PM   #34
topjustice
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19835
Quote:
Take a drive north bound up the east side of the Salton Sea and tell me about probable cause when you MUST pass the video cameras, radiation sensors, and other assorted sensors and then the bad attitude agents at the miles from the border in the middle of nowhere inspection station. You WILL be treated and inspected like an escaped felon without cause. BTW this is not an ag inspection either.
I believe those are federal agents not state agents. They are not interested in state gun laws. They are there for immigration purposes.
Old 10-20-2017, 06:15 PM   #35
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
We and friends who are heavily armed have passed through the those inspection stations for years without incident. The stations are manned by Immigration and Customs staff (aka Homeland Security) and are federal. They could care less about state gun laws (which are pretty loose in that part of the country) as they are looking for illegal immigrants. I have been through the station on the west side of the Salton Sea (I am not aware of one on the east side but I don't use that route) along with the ones on Hwy-95 from Yuma, I8, outside of Ajo before Tucson, and south of Tucson coming from Nogales. Treat the staff with respect, as you do with the TSA, and they reciprocate in kind.

Old 10-20-2017, 07:05 PM   #36
Beau2010
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18355
Have had a CCP since they first came available in AZ. However, since we stay in military campgrounds whenever possible, I have not carried or felt the need to carry for quite some time. Most if not all military bases I know about do not allow civilians to possess any kind of firearm and they can enforce it. Take your gun and throw you off the base and good luck ever seeing that gun again. We feel safer knowing there won't be a gunfight down the block when we stay on base.
Old 10-21-2017, 04:04 AM   #37
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Quote:
Originally Posted by topjustice View Post
Sorry but everything you said is wrong. I don't mean to insult you but please consult an expert on these matter if you believe what you say is true.

Hi

If you have the money to try and correct this then get started the states of Nevada, Colorado and New Mexico have been reported extensively on how the police cause you time and money doing just what I said. I did not get that information from the internet where a lot of stuff is totally wrong.

Run a search on “legal highway robbery” then do you research to verify what you find.

The police can violate your rights all they want when you are standing on the side of the road and any action by you to correct this violation of your rights will only cause you more problems. The only place you can object forcibly to you right being violated is in front of a judge.

All the officer has to do is make the statement he believes you have committed some kind of crime. This gives the officer the authority to detain you until the investigation shows otherwise or in the case of seizer of your property until you prove you have not committed a crime.

I didn’t say it was right I said it happens and refusing to let the officer search in the states mentioned can cost you.

Phil P
If you get a page not available then remove the "s" after HTTP
Old 10-21-2017, 07:30 AM   #38
Mike117
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #16033
Smile

Quote:
Hi

If you have the money to try and correct this then get started the states of Nevada, Colorado and New Mexico have been reported extensively on how the police cause you time and money doing just what I said. I did not get that information from the internet where a lot of stuff is totally wrong.

Run a search on “legal highway robbery” then do you research to verify what you find.

The police can violate your rights all they want when you are standing on the side of the road and any action by you to correct this violation of your rights will only cause you more problems. The only place you can object forcibly to you right being violated is in front of a judge.

All the officer has to do is make the statement he believes you have committed some kind of crime. This gives the officer the authority to detain you until the investigation shows otherwise or in the case of seizer of your property until you prove you have not committed a crime.

I didn’t say it was right I said it happens and refusing to let the officer search in the states mentioned can cost you.

Phil P
Some kind of crime doesn't allow the police to go into your vehicle or Rv. Not going to say it has not happened or their aren't bad apples. Don't give the police cause. I have been doing police work a longtime and have taught search and seizure classes at a community college. Lock your weapons up and act like an adult and it will be fine. Like others have said read the laws and the 2nd admendment. I am not a gun rights nut but law abiding folks who educate themselves and learn to safely handle a gun are okay in my book. Also refusal to allow a search has no bearing on probable cause for a search warrant.
Old 10-21-2017, 09:21 AM   #39
Mel B.
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19469
Quote:
Hi

Phil P
I've never given law inforcement a reason to search me, my vehicle or my house. My fire arms are always packed in the 5ver, unloaded and locked up. I just can't imagin the police ever having a reason to search me. I know some states are tough on gun owners. But I'm sure 99% of the people on this forum are not going to be searched by the police in this lifetime.
Old 10-21-2017, 10:00 AM   #40
topjustice
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19835
Quote:
Hi

Phil P
You are changing the facts of your previous statement. You were talking about probable cause to search an RV or TV. Now you are referring to stops and detention at the side of a road. Apples and oranges.
Closed Thread