Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Solar, Charging Systems, Batteries and Electrical
Click Here to Login

Old 01-02-2007, 02:47 PM   #41
nailbender
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5811
BirdingRVer - Is the Surge Guard from Camping World a 30amp? I just ordered a 50 amp hard wired from a local electrical supplier for $450.00 (no shipping)and thought it was a good price. I don't have a second a/c unit, but never know might want one some day so went with the 50amp unit.

nailbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 03:20 PM   #42
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
The 50 amp hard wired is priced at just a little over $300 on the site that BirdingRV supplied. Click on the URL, then when the site comes up, click on "return to ..." at the top of the page, then choose "50 amp Surge Guard drop ship".
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 03:42 PM   #43
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
I'm looking to get a 3400 this Spring and have been thinking about getting a Surge Guard hard-wired in. One question I have is just where to put it. For those who either have hard-wired in their surge guards, or plan to do so, just where in a 3400 could I logically hardwire in a Surge Guard?
David and Jo-Anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 05:01 PM   #44
BirdingRVer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5740
Nailbender,

This is the url for Campingworld online this page says that the 50 Amp Hard Wired Surge Guard is $305.10

Click Here. Url reduced by Admin

Grant
BirdingRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 05:04 PM   #45
BirdingRVer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5740
David and Jo-Anna,

Everyone seems to have the Surge Guard put in the basement.
Old 01-02-2007, 05:05 PM   #46
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
I haven't done this yet, but been doing a lot of thinking. That doesn't mean I'll come up with the right solution, but it seems to me that I would want it within reach of the 50 amp service wire from the back of the unit to converter. Otherwise you would need to rewire to the back or splice through a junction box.

Since there are indicators to read, it needs to be reasonably accessible. In my 3670, I have a closet just over the convertor/fuse/breaker box, so mounting it in that closet space seems worth investigating.

I guess that is a long way around saying I am still working on mounting issues for whatever device(s) I select.

Old 01-02-2007, 05:54 PM   #47
Tom Gina 06
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5993
David & Jo-Anna,

Our is mounted in the basement against the wall just under the clothes basket where the main comes into the interior under the steps to the bedroom. Keystone told the dealer where the best place was to mount it. Again we ordered ours with the Surgeguard 50 installed before delievery, included it into the final price. One thing that I have noticed is when you hook up to the 50 AMP it may kick out just wait two minutes and it will reset itself. (Just like the book says...LOL) Sure is a nice peace of mind knowing that we are protected.

Tom
Tom Gina 06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 10:11 PM   #48
gojodo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5540
I just installed the 35460 surgeguard 50 Amp model shown above on the site from ririch. On my 3075RL 2007 which was preped for a generator, the surgeguard was installed in-line on the output side of the Transfer Switch so as to protect the Coach from surges coming from either the external "campground" source or the generator, if you have one. The wiring was very simple. John
gojodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 01:46 AM   #49
nailbender
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5811
The 50 amp Surge Guard I ordered has the remote monitor included with it and I plan to install it by the light/slide switches. I wanted to be able see the indicator lights on it if there is a problem without going to the basement area.
nailbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 05:21 AM   #50
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
Tom--thanks for the info on where to hardwire in a surge guard in the 3400.

Question for those who have both the surge guard and the Autoformer--has anyone tried to hardwire both of them in and, if so, how have you done it and how well has that worked? Seems to me I read in an earlier thread that a few people have tried this but taken different approaches. The one approach someone mentioned that resonates with me is to install both of them in the basement area but to get the portable versions of the surge guard and Autoformer so that you can switch them around in different arrangements depending on the conditions at the campground--or if you need to bypass one of them if it gets fried. Does that sound like a viable thing to do? What would be the downsides to creating a switchable setup like that?
David and Jo-Anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 10:56 AM   #51
Connorsmom
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6592
Hey BirdingRVer, thanks for the link for the Surge Protector!!!. I went to CW today to give them a bunch of money, and I went back to that Surge Protector 3-4 times. I know the importance of them due to a friend getting hit in a storm and losing every single thing in the trailer that was plugged in. I just had a hard time with $360.00. Plus another 27.00 for the locking hasp. Even with shipping, this RV parts place is saving me almost $75.00. Now I am a very happy camper...LOL I would really like to have done the hard wiring thing, but one of the few area's I am reluctant to venture is dealing with electricity. I'll put in a ceiling fan, or an oven hood, that type of thing. But, if I know it has the potential to give me an afro...I tend to not wanna go there. I did consider asking Ozz if he was interested in adoption, but I could probably end up being a very expensive kid...LOL Thanks again Birding... Jan
Connorsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 10:29 AM   #52
Connorsmom
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6592
Well,
I have tried to hook up the Surge Protector I purchased from the RV Outlet place online. The space between the plug (to the box) and the protector is just too short. It's a nightmare trying to get the thing plugged in. I finally just give up and take my chances. I also ordered the hasp to reduce the risk of theft. The place called me and emailed me stating my order had been shipped. Well, the surge protector was shipped, but when the box got to my home, the hasp was on back order. Thats not what they told me on the phone or online. Turns out, they did a new design on the surge protector to put these hanging things on the ends of it, and now it's not compatable with the hasp. They had to do a new design on the hasp also, hence the back order. The company that makes them is located in Clearwater, and they are expecting the new hasp in sometime this week. If that happens, they will arrange for me to pick it up since I'm down here instead of waiting for it to be shipped to me at home. I'll definitely take the surge protector with me, and point out to them the difficulty I'm having with their new "design". So, if you order the new surge protector, be aware you won't get the hasp for a while yet since it's on back order, and the new surge protector is a BEAR to work with!!! Just an FYI.

Jan
Connorsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 12:03 PM   #53
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Jan, can you post a picture?
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 12:28 PM   #54
BirdingRVer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5740
Jan,

I opted to go with the hardwired Surge Protector; I bought and had it installed at the local Camping World last Saturday. It was just over $400 installed and sales tax.

It was a little inconvenient to go to Camping World (A story for another day) but, the surge protector can only be stolen if they steal the rig. Also it will be there working regardless of the power pole being 50 or 30 AMP.

Old 01-24-2007, 01:11 PM   #55
Illini Trekker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2733
Looking around the hardware store yesterday and found a surge protector marked down for clearance for $69.95. The store is near my home town and if you are in the midwest where a Menard's store might be I'd say there marked down there also. If I were a gambling man this one at http://www.rvstuffusa.com/surgeprotectorbytrc.html looks like it? I'll leave the link to the Menard's Store locater http://www3.menards.com/menards?mm_d...torefinder.jsp

Looks like a good price??
Illini Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 04:06 PM   #56
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
For you electricians out there: It seems not all surge protectors are alike, what would be safe parameters for use in a 50 amp system such as mine? There seems to be quite a difference between $400.00 installed unit and the $70.00 unit that illini trekker bought.

Just looking for a little guidance...

Thanks

Phil P.
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 05:41 PM   #57
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
You are absolutely right about not all surge protection being equal. They don't always work the same or have the same supression technology either. There isn't a surge management unit made that will protect from a direct lightening strike. However, outside a direct hit, surges can come at different magnitudes and different speeds. The discussion of joules, ampheres, high or low voltage, and capture rates can be very confusing to laymen like me.

When I read most materials, I find them woefully short of real explanation of their workings. I would hope that at some time an independant technitian or laboratory would provide a comparitive chart of available devices so an informed decision could be made.

Old 01-24-2007, 06:12 PM   #58
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
My plan is to have the Hughes Autoformer installed with a surge protector before the autoformer (to protect it). I was aware about the lightning strikes, but how big a unit do I need. I have read that some offer low voltage protection, but that is what the autoformer is for so I feel I don't need that redundancy. Besides the autoformer boosts the low voltage whereas some surge protectors shut down in case of low voltage. So, my system should be: CG power - surge protector - autoformer - breaker box. Does this sound correct? Then my only question is about the surge protector....
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 08:35 AM   #59
campbud
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3142
Illini Trekker, While in our Menards today I seen where they had these on clearance($69.95) too. I would say they are the ones in the link you posted.
campbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 11:14 AM   #60
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Illini Trekker

Looking around the hardware store yesterday and found a surge protector marked down for clearance for $69.95. The store is near my home town and if you are in the midwest where a Menard's store might be I'd say there marked down there also. If I were a gambling man this one at http://www.rvstuffusa.com/surgeprotectorbytrc.html looks like it? I'll leave the link to the Menard's Store locater http://www3.menards.com/menards?mm_d...torefinder.jsp

Looks like a good price??
The company that makes this unit is the same one that makes the Surge Guard sold by Camping World--Technical Research Corp.
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote