Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 09-27-2019, 11:50 AM   #1
CrazyJohn

M.O.C. #24998
Manually Moving Slide Outs

My buddy has a 2000(thereabouts) Montana and he had a bunch of magazines and model cars on top of the back living room slide out. I replaced the solenoid on the camper yesterday because the old one was burned out. He was so excited about having it, he FORGOT the crap on top of that slide out. He managed to get them to slide out just fine, but when he tried to retract them this morning, they wouldn't move and he noticed a metal toy car partially sticking out from the back slide out. THEN he remembered the crap he had up there. I managed to remove everything I could see from both inside and outside, but the slides won't move now. Is there a manual release somewhere that I can access to move that slide in and get the rest of the crap off the top if it? I think something is jammed and won't let it retract. I don't know much about these things as I'm an old, disabled pipe-fitter/mechanic. I'm not afraid to get my hands dirty if I need to access a hydraulic somewhere as I know we can always add fluid back if we lose some. I keep seeing videos that talk about a crank that will take a slotted handle or a 5/8" socket, but I can't find diddly on this thing. Is there an access under the floor that I need to cut out to get to and if so, where the heck is it? I hate to see him have to pay for someone to come do something that he or I can do, but we just don't know where to look. Thanks for any input. He DOESN'T have an owners manual. So please don't tell me to look in there.

CrazyJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 01:54 PM   #2
Lenny K
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14417
Check this out for some ideas:
https://lci-support-doc.s3.amazonaws...cd_0001616.pdf

Lenny K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 03:12 PM   #3
prndl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19630
Is the hydraulic motor running? If not, Could be an electrical fuse.
prndl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 03:18 PM   #4
CrazyJohn

M.O.C. #24998
Thank you for that link, Lenny K. I certainly appreciate it. He has a guy coming out tomorrow and has told me NOT to fool with it, so I won't. I asked him to let me know when Chuck shows up, as I want to learn about these things. I may be old and disabled, but I still want to learn new things. Thanks again and if Chuck figures it out tomorrow, I'll let you know. I will also give John this website and tell him that he needs to join. He's talking about selling his Montana and moving in with his girlfriend since his health scare. At age 78, I think he's more talk than action now. I'm only 63, so what do I know, right?
Old 09-30-2019, 05:55 AM   #5
CrazyJohn

M.O.C. #24998
Prndl, yes, the hydraulic motor is running. I can feel it under the floor of the bedroom. I haven't heard from John, so will be calling him in a little while to find out if Chuck ever showed up and got the issue resolved. If not, I may go over with a 5' long cheater bar and large crescent wrench and see if I can move it.
Old 09-30-2019, 07:43 AM   #6
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Underneath the slide are shear pins to keep the slide mechanism from being damaged. My guess is you may have a shear pin broken. Easy fix if you have a spare shear pin.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 01:19 PM   #7
CrazyJohn

M.O.C. #24998
Thanks, I will go over tomorrow and have a look. I use my old mechanics creeper to slide in and out from under the 5th wheel. It sure saves my knees and back!
Old 10-02-2019, 06:36 AM   #8
CrazyJohn

M.O.C. #24998
Well, he wasn't home yesterday but I got a call from him last night. Seems Chuck NEVER showed up but someone else asked him about the hydraulic fluid. Now he tells me it's a 2004 model, he's had it sitting in the same spot for 14 years and has NEVER added any fluid. He said he picked up two 15 oz bottles of it and I'm heading over to see if that does the trick. I'll let you guys know if that moves them or not. If not, I'm still looking for ideas.
Old 10-02-2019, 09:24 AM   #9
CrazyJohn

M.O.C. #24998
Thanks for the suggestions. Turns out that it was simply low on hydraulic fluid. I added 30 oz of fluid to the reservoir and the slide outs work perfectly now. John is happy now and so am I.