Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 09-09-2008, 05:52 AM   #1
davidgrennie

M.O.C. #8606
'05 3400RL Bathroom Sink Drain Mod

We were surprised to discover on our '05 3400RL that the bathroom sink drain fed into the black tank, while the shower alone drained into the gray tank. This would cause the black tank to fill up quickly.

To remedy this, I bought some black PVC pipe of the same size and type as the factory drain pipes, then cut the sink drain pipe where it Tee'd into the toilet drain pipe and capped the sink branch of the Tee joint.

I then put a 90° elbow joint on the sink drain pipe, right next to the ceiling of the basement storage area and ran a pipe straight across the storage area to the opposite door side, then added another 90° elbow to turn the drain pipe rearward toward the shower drain pipe.

A 45° Tee fitting spliced into the shower drain pipe and a short length of pipe connected to a 40° elbow on the end of the sink drain pipe finished the connections.

From the initial elbow on the sink drain pipe until where the pipe joins the shower drain pipe is a drop of about 4 inches to allow for good water flow.

The opposite door side corner, where the second 90° elbow is located is supported from the storage area ceiling by an automotive exhaust pipe hanger.

The 3400RL is a popular model, and I think the latest versions still have the same drain setup, although I could be wrong. For those who have a model that is like this, however, who are tired of filling their black tank while brushing their teeth, I hope you find this useful.

davidgrennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 06:32 AM   #2
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
No that bad design was corrected..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 06:39 AM   #3
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Dave,

On our 2007 3400, the toilet drains straight down to the black tank. The sink and shower drains enter the basement and are routed forward to the front of the basement then straight down into the gray tank, with the shower line on the street side and sink on the curb side. I think they must of changed it, but good info for those with the 2005 models.

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 12:17 PM   #4
carlson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3268
our 05 3400 has the shower and sink going to the gray tank.
Having replaced the black tank, the toilet and the washer line (which goes into the vent line) go the the black tank.
build date 2/05
carlson is offline   Reply With Quote