Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 02-09-2008, 05:55 AM   #1
drjjj
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5757
Dealer Service facility without a dump station

We took our 2007 3400RL in to the dealer from whom we purchased it for a list of warranty repairs. One of the repairs was the replacement of the hydraulic pump, and when we dropped the rig off the service rep told us that it would probably be two months before Lippert sent the replacement. We were OK with that and left the rig. At the top of the list of repairs was the black tank flusher that had quit working several months ago. I assumed (from this list) that the problem was a check valve. We received a call last week that the unit was RTG. The dealer is about 40 miles from where we live and about 45 from where we store the trailer. Before we scheduled the pickup, I had DW call them and confirm that all the repairs were completed so we would not have to haul it back. She did, and said that they confirmed all repairs were done. As we were driving to the dealership last Thursday to pick it up, DW tells me that the service rep told her that the black tank flusher was OK, that "they can only be heard when they are new". I informed her that that was wrong, that I had left the black tank flusher hooked up for as long as an hour, and nothing ever came out of the tank-the hose would pressure up but nothing would come out (we do have the clear elbow on our sewer hose). I proceeded to call the dealer and let them know that they better confirm that the flusher was working or I was not going to pick up the trailer and sign off on the other warranty work. I should mention that I flushed the black tank over seven times before taking it in by bringing a hose into the rig and filling the black tank through the toilet and then totally draining it. Well, the service rep leaves me a voice mail yesterday letting me know that the flusher is still not working properly, but the black tank is full, and do I want to come and pick up the trailer, dump the tank, and return it for repair, OR do I want them to go dump it for a cost to me of $100-125.00!!! Is it normal for a service facility not to be able to dump a tank? Does this mean they cannot work on the tanks unless they are presented (and remain) empty? I have not returned his call yet, I intend to call Keystone on Monday morning and ask them if this is SOP for a servicing dealer. I should mention that I bought from this dealer primarily for their service reputation. I could have saved big $$$ going elsewhere. Thanks for any advice.

drjjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 10:25 AM   #2
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Our dealer had a dump, but always had RV's parked over it. Did they fill the black tank up? When we took ours in for a black tank leak, they apparently found a way to get to the dump, as they told me they filled and emptied the tank several times before finding the leak. Of course, they have been known to lie, so who knows what they did.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 11:35 AM   #3
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
I imagine have a dump at the Dealer service center is probably rare for the smaller Dealers. However, you would sure think they would have one of those blue totes around for servicing tanks.

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 12:37 PM   #4
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Least they could do is get a pump service in there to pump it out. Bet it wouldn't cost $100.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 01:43 PM   #5
rogue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7368
If the dealer wants to charge you $100-$125, may be ask them what a sewer solution cost. Maybe they should invest in one of those if they expect to stay in the RV Service business.

rogue is offline   Reply With Quote