Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Long Timers
Click Here to Login

Old 01-13-2007, 02:33 PM   #1
Montana_6386

M.O.C. #6386
How big of a Mon can I tow?

I'm looking for a used Montana and need advice on how much I can tow with my truck.
I have a 2005 Ford F-250 with 6.0 turbo diesel 4x4 short bed 300hp.

This will be used for semi-fulltiming and a trip to Alaska is #1 on my list of places to see first.

Any thoughts?

Timoteo

Montana_6386 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 02:38 PM   #2
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Tim, you'll soon hear from the experts on this subject but I can tell you that you can pull any Montana anywhere with that truck. The only exception might be the new Big Sky. Welcome to the forum.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 02:47 PM   #3
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I ditto what Judy says...

Just call me "Fluffy"... Just kidding. Don't call me that!
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 04:06 PM   #4
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Keystone's target customer for the Montana is 3/4 ton and 1 ton truck owners.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 04:28 PM   #5
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Montana's commercial/ad where they first showed off their "30%" better turning clearance was done with a 3/4 ton tow vehicle - GMC 2500HD, I believe... May need correction on the brand, but all Big 3, 3/4 tons are fine as Dave mentions above. Attorneys would never have let them display that if not OK to tow with that vehicle.

*On Edit~ Caveat: You CAN overload, though. You don't get a free pass on this. Need to watch your weights on your axles and weight rating of your Monty (CAT scales or equivalent). But a 3/4 ton can work. If you become a student of weights and know what your tow vehicle will do in "panic" situations, you're OK. I know what my GMC 2500HD D/A will do. Any tv can be abused.
Old 01-14-2007, 04:46 AM   #6
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
"you can pull any Montana anywhere with that truck. The only exception might be the new Big Sky." That is a absolutely true statement.. and folks do it all the time.However you may want to check out the weight of the Montana, and the pin weight of the Montana you may buy ..then check the truck manufacturers specs on that truck (not any rv forums specs) then decide for yourself if you want to pull your Montana with your truck.Once you have the facts and you make the decision it is on you.. EX; here in Havasu city, Az we saw a 1 ton Lb diesel dually pulling a large 5th wheel with a Jeep Cherokee attached to the rear and a flat bed with 2 ATV's attached to the rear of the Jeep..so can you pull that stuff with that truck...of course you can..the idiot was doing it..no problem..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 04:55 AM   #7
Connorsmom
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6592
I started to write a long and drawn out post, then realized I really just need to not waste anyones time and just ask the same question....how DO I know if my truck has enough power to do the job once I'm fulltiming? Jan
Connorsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 05:01 AM   #8
refocused
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6586
Check your truck owner's manual - it will tell you what weight your truck is capable of pulling and max pin weight, etc. We prefer to have more truck than we need and do not overload!
refocused is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 05:45 AM   #9
patodonn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #331
It will pretty much DO it! Just takes some fairly simple math to figure out if it will "do" it and remain within the truck's specs. I guess we all are one of two catagories...we either weigh the truck and rig, do the math, and really work at staying within the numerical constraints of the truck's ratings, or we take a look, say "that's pretty close" and get on with it.

Your truck should be fine, both in the "numbers" and the actual hauling. Check the Forum (Search) for lots of threads on the "how to" check the numbers.

Happy Trails
patodonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 07:14 AM   #10
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
Your truck, or any diesel, will 'tow' any Montana. However, towing is not the issue, with 3/4 ton trucks, the biggest weakness is the ability to carry the pin weight without exceeding GVWR. Odds are your truck will exceed its GVWR. You've heard from the usual...'pulls fine no problems' crowd...most of whom are over weight. Check the sticker on the rear door pillar, the one regarding tire ratings and loading specs. It will tell you what the max capacity is for your truck...the owner's manaul, truck web sites, truck brochures, etc will not give you this information. The max load includes everything, pin weight, hitch weight, passengers, cargo and everything else you put in your truck.

It's your truck, if you want to tow over weight, that's up to you, but you need to know the facts. I would not want to spend lots of money on a TV and or 5th wheel only to find out they were not compatable.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 09:28 AM   #11
Bob Pasternak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #800
Send a message via ICQ to Bob Pasternak
I just knew you'd get here, Bert!!
Bob Pasternak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 09:59 AM   #12
illapah
Montana Master

M.O.C. #666
Tim, what is your cab? I have an old 05 Ford Brochure that lists tow and other weights.I do believe that your acceptable pin weight is about 4000 pounds.
illapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 11:18 AM   #13
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Check your door post and then load up the DW and anything else that will be traveling with you under normal traveling conditions. Fill the fuel tank to full, 1/3 full on the fresh water tank. Empty hold tanks. Weigh with truck and 5ver, then just 5ver. Get the pin weight that way. Tires and axles all have to be taken into account. Your Montana weights are inside one of your cupboards.

Best to weigh the Montana right off the dealer's lot. They never match the listed weights.
Old 01-14-2007, 01:12 PM   #14
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Bob Pasternak

I just knew you'd get here, Bert!!

Hey Bob...We've been over this ground before. If people insist on telling folks looking for information on TVs that their "3/4 ton truck pulls fine, never had a problem"...that's fine, but they should be honest, and also tell them that their truck is over weight. Normally, somebody that asks that question is trying to gather information to make a good decision regarding purchasing a TV and/or 5th wheel. We certainly don't do them any favors by not telling them the whole truth.

When I joined this forum I asked the same question regarding TVs. Fortunately, for me any way, I was far enough along in my research to know what they were saying was not the whole truth.
Old 01-14-2007, 01:18 PM   #15
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by illapah

Tim, what is your cab? I have an old 05 Ford Brochure that lists tow and other weights.I do believe that your acceptable pin weight is about 4000 pounds.
Fords are very heavy. I looked at an 06 PSD 4 x 4 CC, actual cargo capacity off the sticker was 2507. You cannot use brochures for cargo/tow capacity. They are 'best case' examples/charts.
Old 01-14-2007, 05:27 PM   #16
texdeano
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4480
Send a message via Yahoo to texdeano
I agree that you can pull any Montana with your truck,but you could run into a problem with the short bed if you have to jack knive into some park spaces I have had to get into on some that do not have an extended hitch like mine.
texdeano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 06:10 PM   #17
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
It is possible to tow a Montana with a 3/4 ton truck and be within all specs of the vehicle, including GVWR. I was at 9,193 lbs on my truck last spring when I hit the CAT scales. I have since added some stuff to the coach for the 6 months at the lake. I am over my GVWR now by 200 lbs, but under every other rating on the truck as well as all ratings on the coach. Being within all specs on a 3/4 ton can be done. You will not be able to take everything including the kitchen sink with you on a trip.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 02:44 PM   #18
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
Bert, I am glad you are here because I enjoy your educated posts and you and I both believe that truck specs should be taken into consideration when choosing an RV. I do believe it is possible for a 3/4 ton to stay within specs but you would have to pack very lightly and I never bought an RV to leave everything at home.
My truck has an 11200 GVWR and my 2955RL loaded up, as well as my aux gas tank, dogs, wifey and me bring my truck's weight to 11080. I only have 120 pounds of wiggle room and I own the smallest Montana model. I travel heavy but I need everything I bring. If I was a fulltimer I would be well overweight. Anybody fulltiming will continue to add weight and that is probably the biggest reason that Keystone states the Montanas are not built for full time use.
I met a fulltimer with a unit that weighed 18000 pounds. He pulled it with an F250 Ford 7.3 Diesel.
It's all about your comfort level. I live in British Columbia and I have to deal with Government auto Insurance.
I don't like them but I have no choice. They say overweight means no coverage. I am happy to comply.
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 04:04 PM   #19
Briarglenn
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6613
I have a 2004 1 ton 4x4 short bed and am pulling an '07 3400 RL, and have had no problem when towing. I've added 2 cargo boxes, one in the pickup and one on a receiver on the back of the Fiver. We just drove from N. Seattle to Quartzsite area with no problem, either in the Siskiyus or plain old highways.

My son just moved to Fairbanks and said that we wouldn't have any problem pulling it up there. My only problem with his advice is that it was -46 the other day and he wants us to come now. No way, it's cold enough in Arizona right now.

Good luck,
Briarglenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 07:34 AM   #20
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Briarglenn

I have a 2004 1 ton 4x4 short bed and am pulling an '07 3400 RL, and have had no problem when towing. I've added 2 cargo boxes, one in the pickup and one on a receiver on the back of the Fiver. We just drove from N. Seattle to Quartzsite area with no problem, either in the Siskiyus or plain old highways.

Good luck,
You should be fine with a one ton...and, as noted, towing with a diesel is never a problem, it's the pin weight.

For some real scary tow vehicle information, check out the Teton site...one guy very proudly tows his 22,000 lb rig with a 3/4 ton D/A. But he is an old truck driver, and his DW says he 'knows how to do it!'