Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-06-2006, 07:47 AM   #21
Illini Trekker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2733
I do not fulltime right now, if I where I would have it on the trailer. When I fulltime it will be 99% of the time in warm weather, but I know in the upper teens forget it the hose is to stiff to use, lower teens it's froze up. I installed shut-offs in the basement for my work usage of the trailer in the winter. See-Ya

Illini Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 09:33 AM   #22
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Kinda like a microwave... How did people get by in the kitchen before it came along? Great. Once they got used to it... couldn't do without.

My Dad called me the other day. My sister was on him to get caller ID on his phone that he is on all the time. He called me and asked, "I really don't need that do I? Is it free?" I said, "No, Dad. It's about $5 a month." He acted astonded, and said, "That's $60 A YEAR!" First thought: "And you wouldn't spend that on something else? Once you had it, you would never want to do without." I felt my brain stop me just as I was about to open my mouth. I said, "No, Dad. You probably don't need it." My Dad: "That's what I thought."
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 11:30 AM   #23
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
We use to clean the Dog and source for hot Water
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 11:46 AM   #24
Montana_4221
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4221
Like some others have said, we rarely use it but it's nice to have when you need it.
Montana_4221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 04:13 PM   #25
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
As FT'ers who spend a couple of months in frigid weather we have no option to run antifreeze through the exterior shower. Yet it is susceptible to freeze damage. So I pack insulation around the handle and inside the door. As much as I can get in there. No problems with the shower after three of those winters. I suspect heat from inside the Montana comes through the wall and helps keep it from freezing but don't know that for sure.

We did not order the outdoor shower but the Montana came with it anyhow, at no charge to us.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 05:23 PM   #26
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
You don't use it for anything in cold weather, do you, Steve?
Old 01-06-2006, 10:14 PM   #27
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Hmmmm, is there a difference between useful and need or want and can do without? As far as uses for an outside shower or outside source of hot water (as some have stated), they have been well documented here in these postings. So usefulness is not debateable. But just because an item is useful doesn't mean a particular individual will see fit to use it. They may choose a different approach from the mirad of options available for almost any issue that arises.

Desireability may be a function of priorities. If convenience, of an outside hotwater supply, overrides the desire to have the $140 in your pocket, then get it. If it doesn't then don't.

Gee, don't you just hate guys like me who try to make logic out of an issue usually decided on an impulse basis?
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 11:19 PM   #28
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Nothing wrong with logic, even thought most humans buy on emotion. How's this for some additional logic: That's NOT $140 if you don't pay cash. If you figure a 30% discount off retail, then you are looking at $98. Great, right? Wrong. Unless you pay cash, you will finance and based on your terms, you could be paying upwards of $300-$400 for that $98 item on a long term (15 yr) finance package.

Wasn't that fun???
Old 01-07-2006, 03:40 AM   #29
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
A comment on Steve R post which makes perfect sense and we never thought of doing that but will if one shows up on our new Montana. We had the outside shower on our Terry TT and NEVER did anything to winterize it here in Northern Ohio and it never froze up.Although we rarely used it it was something we checked for proper operation every spring.It is a 140.00 option that you will wind up paying @110.00 for so we will probably get it..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 05:35 AM   #30
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
I didn't pay extra for the exterior shower. Maybe it use to be part of the Moving to Montana package or one of the other packages. All of our 5th wheels have had it. We keep a bar of soap in there so a quick wash up is handy.
Happy trails............................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 06:26 AM   #31
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The exterior shower is now listed as a option..140 MSVRP..still... a good option..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 01:23 PM   #32
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by dsprik

You don't use it for anything in cold weather, do you, Steve?
'Bout the only time we use it is when granddaughters 1 and 2 are with us and we're in a beach/sand area. But after reading this thread, there are probably more times I could use it.

As for using in freezing weather, having easy access to hot water on the outside might come in handy. It's close to the furnace exhaust and I already use that to warm my hands and even the rest of my body when working outside in temps in single digits. Ahhhh, it's nice and warm here in Mission, TX!
Old 01-07-2006, 01:26 PM   #33
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by dsprik

Nothing wrong with logic, even thought most humans buy on emotion. How's this for some additional logic: That's NOT $140 if you don't pay cash. If you figure a 30% discount off retail, then you are looking at $98. Great, right? Wrong. Unless you pay cash, you will finance and based on your terms, you could be paying upwards of $300-$400 for that $98 item on a long term (15 yr) finance package.

Wasn't that fun???
And, if you pay cash, you have to consider the lost income that $98 would generate for the remainder of your life and that of your heirs, as well as the $98 itself.
Old 01-07-2006, 05:39 PM   #34
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Heirs??? Maybe I'll will "will" them the Monty... but that doesn't appreciate, it depreciates? I'm getting a headache... I need to retire and move into a Montana. And I'll take my shower with me while I'm trying to sort this all out... maybe while I'm in the Valley?
Old 01-07-2006, 05:45 PM   #35
ronnilu
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3933
I know my husband wouldn't be without one on any rig. It is a must for washing up after messing with the sewer connections. Where else would you wash up?? Even using gloves, he occasionally has some leaks or splatters to wash off. Also, when hands get greasy when working on the truck or tires, etc. We would not be without it.
Ronnilu
ronnilu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 01:49 AM   #36
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Just to add a different slant to this discussion, if we wash our hands at the outside shower, is this now considered "Gray water" ???? Isn't it illegal to dump gray water on the ground (vs in the sewer places) in most states of the union??

Not making any judgements, just thinking aloud.

Maybe I should go have some coffee instead of trying to think this early!
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 02:38 AM   #37
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
I always keep a box of disposable latex gloves beside the dump valves. These are cheap and I throw them away after and go into the trailer and wash my hands.

RV dump stations are one area where you can not be too careful in the housekeeping dept.

I do agree there seems to be two sets of rules for tenters and RV owners. Tenters brush their teeth outside, wash dishes, and throw grey water all over the campground.

If RV owners were caught dumping a grey water tank on the ground they would lock you up and throw away the key.

I guess there are some responsible tenters that dispose of their grey water at the Sani dump if one is available but many do not.
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 03:20 AM   #38
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ronnilu

I know my husband wouldn't be without one on any rig. It is a must for washing up after messing with the sewer connections. Where else would you wash up?? Even using gloves, he occasionally has some leaks or splatters to wash off. Also, when hands get greasy when working on the truck or tires, etc. We would not be without it.
Ronnilu
I have a tube of mechanic's Goop right by the black water valve that I use after messing with the sewer hoses, etc. Works for me.
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 04:05 AM   #39
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Orv,

I don't know one thing about that Goop stuff, does it have a disinfectant in it to kill germs from sewers and other nasty stuff???

Carol
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 05:10 AM   #40
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Access to hot water outside would be the major plus for me.

As far as dumping of gray water, that is almost as controversial as tv and weights. Can't remember which forum it was last fall... 17 or 18 pages. Seems every state and/or local ordance is different. Of course many on that thread "suggested" (read: their opinion) that their local ordinance, pro or con, should be applied to the entire North American continent. Some regions/states request/require the gray water be used to water lawns during dry seasons to conserve, and some outright ban it.

Anyway, just a thought (before my coffee, too, Carol)... If there were too many serious bans on gray water dumping in the US, seems to me, Keystone would have thought twice about even considering an outside shower, instead putting them at the top of the option list (on Couchcampers sheet)?

Not suggesting we get off on another topic, here. Maybe a new thread on a CIVILIZED forum (MOC) where people are NOT threatening to spray each other with their gray water (or worse) if they ever meet.

*On Edit~ There were some complaints, rightfully so, of RVers pulling into their assigned campsite, only to find it was a muddy mess from the last camper. I think common sense should be the rule, not abuse. Should we revisit the Walmart camping issues???