Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 12-05-2018, 05:29 PM   #1
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
New hearing aids WOW

I’m like many people here. I’ve around loud machinery and too much shooting all without hearing protection. Now I’m paying the price, both in money and not being able to hear. I’ve had 4 sets of hearings aids each better than the last. All of them have been Phonac. The third set was great but the last ones are closer to my natural hearing and has Bluetooth. I can listen to the TV and music from my phone and talk on the phone through Bluetooth. Listening to music is like a great set of headphones and talking on the phone is like having someone standing three feet in front of you looking straight at you and talking in a loud clear voice. If the background noise is to high you can turn it down or off when you are in a noisy environment. The person you are taking to can hear you better than through your cell phone. The only drawback so far is while you are talking on the phone people tend to look at you kinda strange and say what. I’ve been saying what for years but I’m the one that is supposed to say it.
The hearing aids are Phonac Marvel. Yes they are a marvel. They are just out and I was one of the first people to get them.
If you need hearing aids now might be the time to look into them.
Lynwood

mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 06:22 PM   #2
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
My 76 year old brother in law just got hearing aids (maybe the same kind). He can now hear the whistle at the end of an NFL play and can hear the beeps that the newer cars make when you leave them with the key fob in your pocket. LOL
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 06:51 PM   #3
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
What did you say?

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 06:59 PM   #4
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Traveler View Post
What did you say?
Yep I’ve said that enough.
Lynwood
Old 12-06-2018, 09:09 AM   #5
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Lynwood

Like you, too much machinery and too many shotgun blast too near my head in my less than enlightened youth led to early hearing problems.

I have had the Phonak Audeo Q, their then top line, for over 4 years. But have noticed a decline in my hearing ability over the last year or so. Don't know if it is me or the hearing aids needing adjusting. But I have an appointment next week for checkup.

Did you previously have the Audeo Q and is the Marvel a step up in performance over the Q? Is the price range of the Marvel about the same as the Audeo Q? Or a step up?
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 10:08 AM   #6
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Been wearing hearing aids for years without the aids we can hardly hear anything which at times is not a bad thing My present aids are Starkeys and the best we have ever had.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 10:21 AM   #7
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Bill the aids I had were top of the line 5 years ago, which ones I can’t remember. The new ones are much better in fact it’s hard to even compare them. It’s like going from a 1965 F150 to a new one.
A lot of people don’t know this but you have 30 days by federal law to test a pair of hearing aids.
If I can help let me know.
Bill when you go for your check up check out the Marvels if they have them and if they don’t make an appointment when they get them in. These just came out this week.
Lynwood
Old 12-06-2018, 12:49 PM   #8
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
About 3 months after a friend recommended them I got a set of Kirkland 8.0 from COSTCO and I love them. 6 month return no questions asked and 5 year warranty and 1 year loss/damage coverage included. They also only cost about 1/3 of many others! Only took 2 days too.

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 11:24 AM   #9
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
Yeah but can you tune out certain voices with them?
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 02:27 PM   #10
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffba View Post
Yeah but can you tune out certain voices with them?
I have tried ignoring my wife and claiming I had my hearing aids turned off. But she doesn’t buy it.
Old 12-07-2018, 02:37 PM   #11
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_TX View Post
I have tried ignoring my wife and claiming I had my hearing aids turned off. But she doesn’t buy it.

I never once said the voice was DWs.
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 02:57 PM   #12
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
The guy who owns the company also has a speech therapy company. They teach people how to overcome stuttering. Anne Glenn, John’s wife was a patient. My wife ask him years ago if I would be able to hear her “no he will never be able to hear you”. But I’m working on it. I’m trying.
Lynwood
Old 12-07-2018, 05:03 PM   #13
Keith Schweizer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8841
Hey guys, do any of these hearing devices help with reducing the "ringing in the ears" ? I as well spent too many years not wearing ear protection around heavy equipment, construction equipment, etc. Losing my hearing, certain letters sound like others, not good. Any input would be appreciated.
09 2955rl,5 Sailun 637 , Mor ryde wet bolt kit, 50 amp progressive hard wired surge protector, solar , 4-6 volt Interstate batteries, charge indicator, HD tow hitch ,2-2000w Honda generators, Back up camera,2015 F-350,6.7,
air bags,, 50 gallon Titan Pace Edwards bed cover, TST 507-FT
Keith Schweizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 05:36 PM   #14
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Schweizer View Post
Hey guys, do any of these hearing devices help with reducing the "ringing in the ears" ? I as well spent too many years not wearing ear protection around heavy equipment, construction equipment, etc. Losing my hearing, certain letters sound like others, not good. Any input would be appreciated.
Sorry no. I think what causes this is the tiny hairs in the back of the ear have got laid down. Some times audiologists will add noise in the ear to cover it up. That’s what they wonted to do to a guy that works in the shop. He didn’t won’t to listen to even more noise and said no.

When you buy hearing aids you aren’t buying the aids what you are really buying is the technology and programs that go into making them. They all look about the same but they aren’t. My new ones identity over 30 back ground noises and reduce them. They have several programs and switch automatically between them. If you are in a quiet place they use one program in a restaurant another ridding down the road with the window open another I’m not implying others don’t do this. I’m sure some do.
I do know I went to the Post Office today. One of the clerks is a wonderful young lady that I couldn’t understand but about half of what she said. No matter how loud she talked. She could look straight at me and some words I still could not make out. Today I was at her station 30 minutes while she was getting postage on my daily packages. I understood every word she said and in about 15 minutes I said have you noticed I haven’t said ‘what did you say’. She said ‘no but you haven’t’.
Lynwood
Old 12-07-2018, 08:37 PM   #15
scattershot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5329
At 72, I just got my first pair. The usual suspects, gunfire, sirens, flying, etc. reduced my hearing a bunch. I got the Kirklands, too. Although I don’t have anything to compare them with, I can hear birds, listen over Bluetooth, turn them up and down, and hear normal conversarion. I’m a happy camper.
scattershot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 06:13 AM   #16
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Schweizer View Post

Within the last month I asked my HA provider that very question. He did say that there are some that produce a sound that will mask ringing ears that you cannot hear more then a slight rustle noise that your brain turns off after a short while. I don't have that problem now but did in the past.

As far as getting hearing aids, find a good independent supplier, not a chain like Beltone where you are just a bottom line financial number (though have heard good comments about some Costco). If you are ex military, you might get lucky at a VA. My hearing loss was mostly from 'playing' with things that went bang or boom as a combat engineer and it's on my DD-214 - but the local VA is lower then ta deep sand pit so I paid $$ for mine
2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 08:24 AM   #17
The Bone
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17521
I have a pair of those fancy hearing aids and they were $5,000 each. Crap thats a lot of money. Next time i am going way cheaper. It's simply nuts how much they charge for these things. i have Phonak also. I have good insurance and some of it's covered but I will never spend this much on aids again
The Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 08:56 AM   #18
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
There is night and day difference between the Phonak 5 year old and the new Marvel ones. I gave $5200. They retail for $7300 the place I get mine from is non profit. Big difference between them and someone who’s works on commission as most do by far.
Lynwood
Old 12-08-2018, 09:19 AM   #19
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have BC/BS health insurance and "Blue 365" covered nearly all of our hearing aid cost.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 09:30 AM   #20
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
As for the ringing, I hear it less when my hearing aids are in than when not. I think that is because I am hearing more of the "real" sounds with them in than when not. My primary hearing loss is at the higher frequencies to the point of being in the profound loss area. With the hearing aids I can hear much more of those higher sounds. And since the ringing is also higher frequency I think the that ringing gets somewhat lost in the actual sounds.