Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 02-19-2019, 12:00 PM   #1
daveinaz
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23256
Westinghouse 4500DF Generator

I'm leaning toward a DF generator so I won't have to carry around gas cans on our diesel TV. I see that Champion has one, but this one by Westinghouse seems pretty good for the features/price. Just wondering if anyone has experience with it.

https://www.westinghouseoutdoorpower...ts/igen4500df/

Thanks.

Dave in AZ
2008 Montana 3400RL
2008 Dodge Ram 3500 Diesel Dually
daveinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 04:02 PM   #2
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Sounds interesting. If you get one, please tell us how you like it.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 04:08 PM   #3
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Looks like a nice generator, fair price. If you don’t plan on using it enough to use all of your propane it should be fine. They do like propane.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 04:41 PM   #4
daveinaz
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23256
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh View Post
Looks like a nice generator, fair price. If you don’t plan on using it enough to use all of your propane it should be fine. They do like propane.
Lynwood
yes, and they are not as efficient on propane either:

4,500 Peak Watts, 3,700 Running Watts (Gasoline)
4,050 Peak Watts, 3,330 Running Watts (Propane)

But I'm thinking that's easier than carrying gas cans around. Plus if I run it only on propane, I won't have to worry about that crappy ethanol gas gumming up the carb. On our old motorhome with its built in Onan generator, it was always a pain maintaining the genset so the carb didn't get all clogged up from not being ran regularly enough. I would hope that propane would bypass that issue, albeit at the price of less efficiency.

Dave in AZ
2008 Montana 3400RL
Old 02-19-2019, 07:36 PM   #5
Gutz54
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #23468
Dave_ I don't pretend to know much about propane gen. and conversions but I have been trying to learn--I found a place in Mass. that converts Honda Inverter Generators to propane--I'm looking at the Honda 7000 conversion to power my Montana 3911--it's pretty expensive though. I wonder if this Westinghouse 4500 will power everything including both air conditioners?? Any idea from the experts??
Gutz54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 09:24 PM   #6
Last2Die
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22986
I don't think 3700 watts will run the entire coach, but if you are not planning on running everything it may suit you well. Im anal, I want everything to work as if I was on shore power. I run 2 HF predator 3500 inverter/generators. 7000 starting watts and 6000 running watts, runs both ac's and micro.
Last2Die is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 11:16 PM   #7
DmaxDually
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14092
Sounds like a nice unit. But if you are just looking for a dual fuel generator to run your coach and don't need all of the bells and whistles like remote start, led display, etc you can get the same wattage, if not more for 1/2 the price of the Westinghouse.
I purchased the DuraMax portable 12,000 watt dual fuel generator as a back for my house from them and it works great. I know you don't need something that big for your coach. Here's the link. They have other Dual fuel gens for less money that might be a better choice for you.

https://www.maxtool.com/outdoor-powe...uel_type=14564
Old 02-19-2019, 11:45 PM   #8
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last2Die View Post
I don't think 3700 watts will run the entire coach, but if you are not planning on running everything it may suit you well. Im anal, I want everything to work as if I was on shore power. I run 2 HF predator 3500 inverter/generators. 7000 starting watts and 6000 running watts, runs both ac's and micro.

If you are getting the full 6,000 watts of power, that is only 120 volts at 50 amps, so if you are trying to run a typical rig with a 50 amp service, you will only be getting half the power needed to run the rig, because with a 50 amp service, you are getting two 120 volt legs at 50 amps each. 50 amps split to power each leg of your panel, ideally you would only get 25 amps on each leg, and these panels are never equally loaded, so you will need a much larger genset, one that will provide at least two 50 amp legs at 120 volts, to give you enough power to equal shore power.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 05:01 AM   #9
Gutz54
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #23468
Will the Honda 7000 inverter run the whole rig(same as shore power)??
Old 02-20-2019, 05:10 AM   #10
Gutz54
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #23468
What are people's thoughts about gas vs propane generators--I would imagine propane is safer but gas probably more convenient??
Old 02-20-2019, 05:23 AM   #11
vacationer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22355
I have the 7000 honda I can run both ac but it does kick out some times. The front ac is a 16.5 heatpump little bigger than the the back. you need to put fridge on propane and water hearter
vacationer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 07:02 AM   #12
DmaxDually
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14092
There are a few factors to consider when buying a portable gen or thinking about having a fixed unit installed in your RV.
Convenient means different things to different people.
It all depends on how often you are planning to use your generator.
What you need it to power.
What type of TV you have, gas or diesel.
If you have gas then you can set up a syphon or pump from the TV tank for the gen. You just need to carry one empty gas can.
If you have diesel then you have to carry gas cans or propane tank or use the rigs propane tank.
If you mostly boon dock then gas would be more convenient.
If you stay mostly at decent camp sites or RV parks most of them can refill propane tanks, so propane would be more convenient.
I was thinking about getting a gen for my rig but then I thought about it. I stay at campsites that can handle larger rigs and I never boon docked.
Maybe I'm lucky but have never lost power at any campsites yet where I needed or wished I had gen..But that's just MHO..
Old 02-20-2019, 05:37 PM   #13
Last2Die
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22986
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohrmann View Post
If you are getting the full 6,000 watts of power, that is only 120 volts at 50 amps, so if you are trying to run a typical rig with a 50 amp service, you will only be getting half the power needed to run the rig, because with a 50 amp service, you are getting two 120 volt legs at 50 amps each. 50 amps split to power each leg of your panel, ideally you would only get 25 amps on each leg, and these panels are never equally loaded, so you will need a much larger genset, one that will provide at least two 50 amp legs at 120 volts, to give you enough power to equal shore power.
Nope I tested it, both inverters with the parallel kit power the entire coach. Both ac units the fridge all the lights. With the micro running it just crosses over to the warning, I believe overvoltage warning lights on the inverters. Haven’t tried it with the washer and dryer, but with those running I would need more. My inverters are both 30 amp. Not sure if both legs are getting 30 or if the coach will only take a max of 50. Either way they both run everything.
Last2Die is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 02:58 PM   #14
pyoung47
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20913
Champion generators are a proven brand. Support from manufacturer is great. Those I know with propane units hate them. I’d at least go for the dual fuel.
pyoung47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 05:00 PM   #15
laverdur
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11972
I'd be concerned about how much noise it makes under anticipated load. The specs say operating volume is as low as 52 dBA. You can be sure that is at idle speed. Of course, if you are the only one out in the boonies, the noise does not matter as long as you can stand it.
Old 02-24-2019, 05:09 PM   #16
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
The Honda IS 3000 makes 48 to 58 DB noise but it’s only 3000 watts.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 08:18 PM   #17
hosssmith
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #14197
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveinaz View Post
yes, and they are not as efficient on propane either:

4,500 Peak Watts, 3,700 Running Watts (Gasoline)
4,050 Peak Watts, 3,330 Running Watts (Propane)

But I'm thinking that's easier than carrying gas cans around. Plus if I run it only on propane, I won't have to worry about that crappy ethanol gas gumming up the carb. On our old motorhome with its built in Onan generator, it was always a pain maintaining the genset so the carb didn't get all clogged up from not being ran regularly enough. I would hope that propane would bypass that issue, albeit at the price of less efficiency.
Alcohol Free Fuel is available where I live and I use it for all my small engines and some not so small. It goes into the jet skis and side by each four wheeler (Mule) as well as the lawnmowers, trimmers and such. If it burns gasoline it gets alcohol free fuel with the exception of Wife's 15 year old Jeep which did not indicate a preference. I have noticed a considerable increase in power, start ability and a reduction in fuel system maintenance The exhaust smell is more noticeable which is a great trade off for not burning corn for fuel.

I have been told that alcohol free fuel will give up to a 7% increase in power but I have had no reason to research that because like propane corn has less Btu's per gallon than gasoline so a power increase is to be expected. The 145 hp jet skies really show the increase in power but all of the other engines do as well. As with all things that are better so is the price to the tune of maybe thirty cents a gallon more than regular government subsidized alcohol diluted gas.

The fuel supplier says that people come from quite a distance to buy fuel for their older automobiles that were built before corn was considered a substitute for gasoline. I think he told me the gas comes from a refinery in San Antone but that is subject to the ability of my memory on which I do not rely either.

If you're using your genset on the road it is not likely that locating a alcohol free gas supplier will be feasible but it might be worth looking into when your not frequently changing locations.

A friend of mine has a propane genset in his pickup that he uses to power his RV while on the road so it will be cool inside when he parks. My concern with that is that the propane cylinders are NOT vented to the atmosphere when he has his bed covered which is anytime the RV is not connected. If one of those tanks were to vent in the enclosed space the potential for needing a visit from the nearest fire department could cause quite a stir in the immediate area. FYI that is the reason all RV propane tanks are mounted in a well ventilated area and in particular plenty of openings in the floor account propane is heavier than air.
hosssmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 09:40 AM   #18
daveinaz
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23256
Quote:
Originally Posted by hosssmith View Post
Alcohol Free Fuel is available where I live and I use it for all my small engines and some not so small. It goes into the jet skis and side by each four wheeler (Mule) as well as the lawnmowers, trimmers and such. If it burns gasoline it gets alcohol free fuel with the exception of Wife's 15 year old Jeep which did not indicate a preference. I have noticed a considerable increase in power, start ability and a reduction in fuel system maintenance The exhaust smell is more noticeable which is a great trade off for not burning corn for fuel.

I have been told that alcohol free fuel will give up to a 7% increase in power but I have had no reason to research that because like propane corn has less Btu's per gallon than gasoline so a power increase is to be expected. The 145 hp jet skies really show the increase in power but all of the other engines do as well. As with all things that are better so is the price to the tune of maybe thirty cents a gallon more than regular government subsidized alcohol diluted gas.

The fuel supplier says that people come from quite a distance to buy fuel for their older automobiles that were built before corn was considered a substitute for gasoline. I think he told me the gas comes from a refinery in San Antone but that is subject to the ability of my memory on which I do not rely either.

If you're using your genset on the road it is not likely that locating a alcohol free gas supplier will be feasible but it might be worth looking into when your not frequently changing locations.

A friend of mine has a propane genset in his pickup that he uses to power his RV while on the road so it will be cool inside when he parks. My concern with that is that the propane cylinders are NOT vented to the atmosphere when he has his bed covered which is anytime the RV is not connected. If one of those tanks were to vent in the enclosed space the potential for needing a visit from the nearest fire department could cause quite a stir in the immediate area. FYI that is the reason all RV propane tanks are mounted in a well ventilated area and in particular plenty of openings in the floor account propane is heavier than air.
Non-ethanol gas is definitely the way to go if you can find it. It costs more, but it has a higher energy rating and it doesn't screw up your carb as bad as that ethanol crap. It is my preferred fuel in my ultra-light.

Dave in AZ
2008 Montana 3400RL
Old 02-27-2019, 05:44 PM   #19
bshgto
Montana Master

M.O.C. #16013
and off to the races

Was a member of the paralleled 2000`s club. But got tired of the hassles with gas and bought one of these WH4500DF. I mean this is just to easy, cheap, not to noisy,remote start, run off the campers 30lb tanks with an extension hose. I install duel 20lb tanks in the truck and severs us with out refilling for the night and a day. I`m not going back to gas and the hassles that come with it, ever. Pic of tanks and gen in truck. I never take it out like I felt I had to do with the 2000 watt Yamaha`s . Just lock it down and role the Tonneau cover over it, done. Comes with a Demand Regulator so the propane with not exit bottles unless the piston is creating a vacuum when starting, safe safe safe.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1006.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	212.7 KB
ID:	3223   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1007.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	243.4 KB
ID:	3224  
F350 Ford Dually 4:10`s w/bags (payload 5595 lbs) Sumo Springs 63 gal aux tank
Reese Goosebox Mor/Ryde SRE 4000 X Factors Monroe shocks.... real smooth ride
bshgto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 06:51 PM   #20
hosssmith
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #14197
If those tanks are well vented to atmosphere then you are good to go. If they are not and one of them ever has a release...
hosssmith is offline   Reply With Quote