Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 07-19-2004, 06:47 AM   #1
Travelntom

M.O.C. #356
Kingpin wiring harness problems

I have a 2001 3575 RL. The wiring that connects up to my truck goes into the neck of the kingpin through a wiring harness to keep them tight and avoid ware on the wiring. My problem is the metal harness seems to break every couple of months. It isn't hard to replace, but takes some time due to all the wiring pairs. Have you seen this problem? Have a way to avoid replacing this so often?

Travelntom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004, 07:20 AM   #2
lightningjack11
Montana Master

M.O.C. #59
Good to see you posting. Welcome to the forum.

I am not sure I understand your problem but if I do it is the metal box that the harness goes into. If it is your metal box then the only thing I can think of is that the harness going to truck may be too short and may stress the box when you turn.

So I went out and measured mine and it is about 7ft long to the box.

Maybe I am offbase on that but that is all I can think of.

The new one I am going to install is also about 7 ft. Will be changing my truck plug also so they match.
lightningjack11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004, 12:40 PM   #3
NJ Hillbilly
Montana Master

M.O.C. #242
A good electrical supply house can get (or has ) a strain relief that will work with the cable. I will hold the cable better and won't break as easily.

I would look to see if the wire is catching somewhere and putting unneeded strain on the connection.

John
NJ Hillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote