Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 08-31-2013, 01:51 AM   #21
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Hi richfaa

Unfortunately I have had some very bad experience with an IS system on and enclosed car hauler I had a number of years ago.

With the standard spring type suspension system I can get the trailer off the road using the tools I carry with me.

A real major failure of the rubber spring inside the axel on the IS system the only way would be to remove the wheels on both sides and hope you are close to a place where you can get repairs.

I don’t remember who’s IS system I had on the car hauler and the excellent support and service I have had with the MorRyde I would assume they have about the best IS system available.

Phil P

If you get a page not available then remove the "s" after HTTP
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 05:10 AM   #22
GreatWhite
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13339
Looks to me like Zach Hunt and his shop should get the Angel Award.
GreatWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 06:28 AM   #23
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Phil P

Hi richfaa

Unfortunately I have had some very bad experience with an IS system on and enclosed car hauler I had a number of years ago.

With the standard spring type suspension system I can get the trailer off the road using the tools I carry with me.

A real major failure of the rubber spring inside the axel on the IS system the only way would be to remove the wheels on both sides and hope you are close to a place where you can get repairs.

I don’t remember who’s IS system I had on the car hauler and the excellent support and service I have had with the MorRyde I would assume they have about the best IS system available.

Phil P
Not sure I follow . The Mor Ryde IS system does not have a axle...
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 01:03 AM   #24
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Hi richfaa

Before we go further please understand that I have now looked at 3 units that Mor/ryde had modified only one had IS. There workman ship and quality of construction is the highest I have seen in the RV industry. Their customer service is also excellent. Their record keeping is better than most. I have called their customer service on 2 units that were over 6 years old. They offered all of the support they possibly could give me and had the detailed drawings of the work they did.

There probably is a different nomenclature for what I am calling an Axel. I am referring to the round or square tube that Mor/ryde puts in place or the axel and spring arrangement. This must be installed because the Lipper frame is not strong enough to support the twisting load imposed by the Mor/ryde IS.

The failure I am referring to is the failure of the rubber spring.

The car hauler I had was not used by me to haul a car it was used for much lighter loads, was a used trailer and several years old. I don’t know what make the IS was because I sold the trailer instead of repairing it.

When the rubber failed the result was the tire becoming the support for the trailer. There wasn’t any way to move the trailer except to remove both wheels. I tried with only one but it leaned so bad that I removed to other side as well. The load was light enough I was able to move the trailer on one axel.

The one SOB that I got under had a Lippert frame and Mor/ryde IS. Mor/ryde had seriously modified the frame and the tube or axel or whatever they call it between the frame rails appeared to be seamless steel tubing. The IS was fastened at the end of this tube.

My unit has the Mor/ryde that came from Keystone. The rubber unit between the axels is still in good condition. I send Mor/ryde a picture of the rubber about once a year and they still are telling me they are in good condition.

My suspension is now 4 years old and with this last trip to Lincoln Nebraska and back I am approaching 60,000 miles on the trailer. I have replaced the rear axle springs and the brake shoes on all 4 wheels. Too bad Lippert and Keystone don’t have the same integrity that Mor/ryde and Dexter have.

Now I hear thru the grape vine that Lippert has purchased Dexter!

Phil P
If you get a page not available then remove the "s" after HTTP
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 01:23 PM   #25
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
What a small world!!
This is the guy that will be installing my level up!!

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Phil P

Hay OZZ How’s this for unusual wear???

Now for the rest of the story!!!

August 9, 2013 15:30 local time

We were on our way to Cottonwood RV Park in Columbia Missouri.

At mile marker 114 I checked my mirrors to see if everything was normal with the Montana.

Then about mile marker 115 a car passed me and there was a young lady hanging out of the passenger side window waving at me. Now I know I AM God’s gift to woman but even so it is unlikely a young lady half my age would be so excited at the sight of me!!!

So I look in the driver side mirror NO TRAILER! All I can see is the driver side corner of the front cap.

I look at the passenger side mirror and all I can see is the entrance door. The trailer was tracking a full ½ lane to my right. I also noted smoke trailing from the wheel fender.

No place to pull off without dumping the trailer in the ditch. I slowed down to a crawl and when the grass appeared to be wide enough to prevent the trailer from rolling on its side in the ditch I pull over.

I get stopped at the 116 mile marker. The smoke is very apparent and the rubber smell even more apparent. The trailer looks like it is close to rolling over.

When I get a break in traffic I get out grab the fire extinguisher I carry in the driver side propane compartment and proceed to the axels of the trailer. The driver side rear axle tire is smoking but I don’t see any fire. The tire is twisted around so the front inside corner of the tire is against one of the spring shackles.

I go to the passenger side axels and find the rear axle all the way back to the spring hanger. I found this amazing as because of a post here on MOC I had checked the torque of the “U” bolts in Lincoln Nebraska the day before.

I got the jacks and the 2X4’s & 4X4’s out and start jacking the trailer up. The ground is soft and I had my hands full getting the trailer up so I could pull the axel back in place using a cargo strap. I notice the spring center bolt missing as well as the lower spring leaf.

I had it under control and was under the trailer tightening the “U” bolts up when a young man stuck his head under and ask if I needed help. I said I would be able to get to exit 117 but then would need help. He offered a card. I told him to give it to my wife.

This is the end of the excitement but there is more to the story.

I get to exit 117. My wife calls Cottonwood to tell them we will be late. She then calls the number on the card.

This young man shows up with in minutes. I ask him if he knows a place where I can jack the trailer up and change a spring. His response was my shop is at mile marker 106. We inspect the trailer and it looks good for a 10 mile trip.

He follows me to exit 106 and then passes me and I follow him to his shop. He is in the parking lot and tells me to drive all the way around to the back of the building. When I get there the door is open and I drive the entire rig in to his shop with room to spare.

His shop!!! A fully equipped chassis shop. New Lippert and Dexter axels and springs. Steel to repair frames with. The equipment to lift the trailer and replace the springs.

2 hours latter 2 new springs, wheels back on alignment check and brake check finished.

Cost $310.00 I tell him if he gives me a ride to the gas station at the interchange I will get cash from the ATM. He says he will take a check!!!

God was watching over us for sure.

I towed the trailer another 1,350 miles on this tire.

I LUV my G-614’s.

After the passenger side spring is out from under the trailer it is apparent by the wear marks on the bottom of the spring the bottom leaf has been broken thru the center bolt hole for a long time and it just finally worked its way out from under the axel.

Phil P
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 04:36 PM   #26
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Since I keep track on recommendations by other MOC members I can tell you several folks have recommended this service center.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 10:40 PM   #27
WaltBennett
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13325
I've printed out his card and will stick it in my glove box - we're going to be in MO after the rally. Hope we won't need to see him, but great to know where he is!