Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 03-16-2008, 04:23 PM   #1
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Rallys OR just good ole state campouts

Not sure this is the right area for this post, so, admin, please move this to the correct area. Thanks.

We have had several long threads here recently about the cost of fuel, cost of towing, etc. It is fairly clear to me, that a number of us are considering cutting back on our travels, several have cancelled out of Rallys due to the expenses, etc.

I am just gonna throw out this idea.

A gathering of MOC members does not have to be an "official" rally, does it??

How bout considering, State gatherings. There is some chatter right now, about a Great Lakes Rally, and most of the comments are in part, "if it is close enough to me". But, if a Great Lakes Rally was held in mid Ohio, those from northern Wisconsin, might not consider that very close.

And, a state gathering, does not have to be a realy fancy do, either. How bout some old fashioned campouts, campfire, s'mores, hot dogs, pot of soup over the campfire. No vendors, no programs, just some pot luck dinners and a handful of people from the same state gathering to have a great weekend.

A 2 or 3 night affair would be all that is necessary, don't spend a lot of time away from the job (if you are still working), not a lot of time on the road getting there, not a lot of $$ on fuel.

Lots of ways to organize, one might be:

State of Michigan: Carol and Al plan on being in campground XYZ on July xx, 2008. We invite all MOCer's within striking distance to join us for campfires, story telling and a pot luck dinner on Saturday night.

Just that easy. Now, just cause it is stated to be Michigan, it is UNDERSTOOD that any MOCer from any state is invited. If someone from Ohio feels they have time and $$ to attend, come on in!!

Anyway, it was one of those ideas that comes to my ole clouded brain in the middle of the night. Those of you that are familiar with camping clubs have probably done this, local chapters are usually those who are interested in camping with others several times during the camping season, and who usually live in a small area, like the greater Ann Arbor area, etc. It was that kind of gathering that I was trying to describe here.

OKKK, I'll take my clouded brain away now! HAHA

Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 05:22 PM   #2
fulltimedreamer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #919
Carol,

This sounds like a great idea. We have a local group of campers called Lanier Christian Campers. We all live around Lake Lanier in North Georgia. We camp at COE parks on the lake as well as at various state and private campgrounds around North Georgia. This year we'll probably do more local campouts to keep expenses down. I think this would work for MOCers too.
fulltimedreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 05:25 PM   #3
RC and Samantha
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2
Send a message via AIM to RC and Samantha Send a message via Yahoo to RC and Samantha
Carol, this sounds like a fab idea. I know Dick & I would be in, that is if we're still in the area. Michigan has some amazing State Parks and this kind of informal gathering would be a bunch of fun. Especially since it's highly unlikely we will be able to attend the Goshen Rally.

Patty
RC and Samantha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 05:50 PM   #4
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
Now were talking! If yall remember the very first rally in Nappanee, we discussed having state camp outs and we then kind of decided to make them regional. Like the Good Sam Samborees, anyone from any state is welcome.
I like your idea of just a weekend together, pot of beans on the fire and some bull spread around the fire! Pretty much what the first Great Lakes rally was.
How about in the regional rally section, someone post where they are at and when to just invite anyone that can make it! Or maybe a new topic section, any suggestions?
Great idea there Carol!
And Patty, Lake Orion is not that far from Troy Ohio!
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 06:17 PM   #5
MelsJoy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7085
This sounds a lot like what we already do on the West Coast at Lake Siskyou in CA. and Quartzsite in AZ every year. This works great for more of the "Locals" to attend as well as those who are willing to travel. Its a lot of fun, and we all just do alot of socializing and seeing the local sights! These two "events" are almost like an actual Rally, except no outside vendors are involved.
MelsJoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 10:22 PM   #6
nghelwer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7751
Good idea Carol,

Nancy and I would be open to something in Michigan, seeing as how DW still works and, after planning time with family trips we just don't have the time to make the big rallys.
nghelwer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 01:50 AM   #7
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Great Idea Carol.

I was just thinking about this very thing here in Central Florida. I already do a one day Mini-Rally at the Tampa RV show every January and was considering another one day Mini-Rally in Plant City. So for those Florida or southern Georgia or even southern Alabama be on the look out for a gathering here in Central Florida within the next week or so.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 02:36 AM   #8
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Carol that is a great idea and makes sense cost of fuel or not,We belong to the FCRV (Family Campers and Rv'ers) and we do just that. We have local, State,and international rallies. The National rally in Goshen is a good thing and should be continued no matter what. This may be a good subject to be discussed at the Goshen rally and other rallies across the country. We will suggest that to the Goshen rally wagonmaster and the Gettysburg rally weagon master. In regard to the great lakes rally.. we did this a few years ago and there is in fact no boundaries to the "great lakes region" Perhaps there should be??? This is s a good idea that should be pursued.. Good timing Carol..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 03:25 AM   #9
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Glad to have set a new idea in the works, Rich, I personally see no need to wait all summer to discuss at Goshen, I do not see these "gatherings" as MOC sponsored, need no approval, just like we do luncheons here in RGV, MOC really has nothing to do with them, other than we are all MOCers (well, mostly MOCers, I do recall that our January 08 meet had a very nice couple that were MH owners and had no idea they were in the midst of a bunch of 5er owners! HA HA)

Sorta like the gatherings some of us have done for RV shows, etc.

This also would not require any wagon masters or organizers, other than one kind MOC soul to make a post, date, place, etc.

If the idea appeals, I would suggest that you just get your typing fingers posting.

Old 03-17-2008, 04:07 AM   #10
slewis
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5841
I like this idea too. I have been trying to think of a way to get something started in Ohio.
Sandy
slewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 04:46 AM   #11
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
There has got to be a bit of organization..as you well know rallies do not just happen. The issue can be discused here as well as at rallies over the country.
Old 03-17-2008, 05:12 AM   #12
bw2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5592
Ok, to the group, what do you believe is a "distance" that is reasonable and you are willing to drive? Less than 100 miles, 100 to 150 miles, or approx. 200 miles? This is "one way"!

As Rich stated, it will take a little organization. Time to reserve sites, schedule attendance, etc... If more and more RV'rs stay closer to their home site, reservations can become harder to get for a given time.
bw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 06:05 AM   #13
msmoonsatx
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6700
I serve as a wagon master for a local good sam chapter. We have been debating the same issues for our members. Some organization is probably required if you want to get a group rate at a park. At a recent rally in Louisiana, I made arrangements with the park for an approximate number coming in and then left it up to each individual to book with the park. After that the agenda was wide open. Some people decided to go sightseeing while others went off to play golf.

If I may suggest, pick a weekend, check with a park for availability, then post on the forum with a deadline date. You need enough advance time to insure that the park does not penalize you if you need to cancel.
msmoonsatx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 06:15 AM   #14
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We were wagonmasters for our local camping group for about five years finding campgrounds for 12 to 14 campouts a year for anywhere from 25 to 40 units..we know the drill. Our estimate for "distance" is about 3 hours from home which could be anywhere from 150 to 180 miles . When we planned our Ohio campouts Columbus area was about Central to everyone.
Old 03-17-2008, 06:59 AM   #15
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Make it as formal as you wish, I was thinking of VERY VERY VERY informal, not calling a Rally, but a campout.

Maybe NOT even a State campout, just those who feel they want to attend, close enough type, area type campout? How bout, you don't even have to NAME it! Don't call it a Michigan State campout. Call it a "MOC - Walter J. Hayes State park campout".

No wagon master, just someone post, we will be here X weekend, inviting others to join you. Post this at least a month ahead of time, maybe 6 weeks.

Not talking group rates, just a few friends getting together. I would think you need more than 5 families to get group rates, ??????

Think DOWNSIZE here folks. There could even be MORE than ONE gathering on the same weekend, one in Northern Michigan, one in Southern Michigan, one in western Pennsylvania, one in eastern Pennsylvania.

No organization, cept maybe for a pot luck on Saturday evening.

INFORMAL!!!

But, if ya wanna do more, no one stopping you. However, many just love something informal, many want to attend but DO NOT want to organize. If it gets too formal, too organized, too complicated I fear that it won't happen. I can hear the cries now, I work all week, I can post something, but, I do not have the time to spend on a lot of foo foo.

We are wearing jeans, tshirts/sweatshirs and tennis shoes, right?? INFORMAL!

So, take it from here, think out of the box, think small, think fun, think MOC! Enjoy!
Old 03-17-2008, 07:30 AM   #16
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
This is an interesting prospect that I think merits strong consideration. We may well be interested in a couple of summertime weekends that are within a few hours of our home base in WV. Of course our difficulty would be finding a free weekend since we usually plot our summer travels the winter in advance. Nonetheless, we may be interested in a small making acquaintances get-together in the Southern Ohio, Eastern Kentucky, Western Virginia area. If any one is so inclined, as Carol says just post a month or so in advance.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 10:09 AM   #17
Sunshine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2018
Good idea Carol. I had been thinking along those same lines. I like the KISS method - just post a park and time frame and see who shows up.
Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 01:50 PM   #18
campbud
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3142
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Sunshine

Good idea Carol. I had been thinking along those same lines. I like the KISS method - just post a park and time frame and see who shows up.
I second it
campbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 02:37 PM   #19
bkirk
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8193
Great Idea !! Bingo, a great CG in southern Oh. is Longs Retreat a lot of great sites, activities etc. Good campround prices too !!
bkirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 02:43 PM   #20
bkirk
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8193
Sorry for the typo, meant Good campground prices too !!
bkirk is offline   Reply With Quote